Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    PC Gamers don't want Halo (except this one, but I'm a glorious master gamer)

They just want to be able to WAH WAH WAH and QQ about how average it is having never played it for more than five minutes at a friends house.

But hey, Kudos to Microsoft, I keep paying for their adverts service and replacing the POS hardware when it fails. But thats more on good will based on what they did with the original Xbox, than how they've treated the core audience this generation.
    The overwhelming irony of blaming people hating on the series by a lack of reference material, when only someone with no frame of reference for pc shooters would think the series is good, let alone special.

I finished the first halo several times in coop on all difficulties including legendary difficulty and also bought it on pc when halo CE was released for windows (which was total dogshit in mp since it used peer2peer , which back then was still considered unplayable, standards for pc gaming being much higher n all :D),
    I also played mp on xbox with the help of an early precursor to tunngle. (me and my friends ended up dissapointed when we tried that option since it was peer 2 peer and p2p is fucking worthless)

The first game had good music and nice AI for the time and nice vehicle physics , and for a console shooter it was way better than anything else and the sandboxy coop was nice.

But that was back in 2001 (when everything in the fps genre but timesplitters on consoles was just atrocious) ...and back when my pc was hopelessly outdated (486 2X:p) so I didn't exactly have much choice.

A friend bought halo 2 before I could, we played through half of the campaign and were both bored (both halo 1 fans back then), it was more of the same and a lot more boring.

Halo 3 came out on xbox 360, I bought a 360 with halo 3 based on the fun I had with the first game, again it was more of the same, with less of the charm and remixed music. BAD and a waste of money.

My 10 year younger brother (so he started with halo3 and halo 3 was fresh for him) also bought halo reach second hand eventually and that one was the same tired old dogshit as well. He played through most of the campaign before he got bored while I visited him, I spent that time on my psp after an hour of boredom in coop.
    He had no pc so he had no frame of reference.

So yeah, this is my experience with the series and my reason for finding it all tired old shit that is vastly inferior to pc shooters.
    Once I bought a new pc in 2003 I sold my xbox , absolutely no reason to play console shooters like halo or timesplitters when there was cs, ut, bf1942, rtcw and tribes.

What I'm getting to is to me halo and timesplitters and golden eye etc are like a can of old beans, they'll be servicable if you have nothing else to eat but noone with a full fridge of delicious foodstuffs is going 'man I really wish I could have some more old beans'. Unless all they've ever tasted is old beans... no frame of reference and all that.
    Sort of like how many american kids think salty third rate food like bacon is the most delicious thing there is.

PS the fov in that video makes me nauseous.
    Last edited by Finicky; 24-10-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That video actually looks good to some of you? Is it the horrendously low fov, the sluggish controls, or the one hit insta-kills that have you so excited? It looks like baby's first FPS. I wouldn't try it if it were F2P.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    I think the dev teams at Microsoft Studios backed the Xbox project so enthusiastically back in the late '90s out of the fatigue that comes with releasing PC titles. After all, the name xbox is derived from DirectX-Box, which is a good indication of the aspirations of the various dev teams that form Microsoft studios; PC game development without PC platform problems.

It's actually sad that so many talented game developers think this way. Their games will be lost in the ether unless they religiously preserve their source code for future remakes or a proper xbox/xbox 360 emulator is released 50 years from now.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Halo, Killzone, Gears of War, Uncharted, these are all mediocre games hyped up by the millions spent on marketing. There is nothing in the Halo series to like except for the soundtrack, but I heard they did away with the composer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Did you just badmouth Uncharted? Them be fighting words :p

And it never ceases to amaze me how ridiculous PC fanboys have become. Console fanboys tend to say "We are better than X because we have Y". PC fanboys say "We are better than X because we don't have Y". As though the mere existence of something forces them to embrace it, rather than just ignore it and move along.

Personally, I don't really think I am missing much not having played Halo after 1 (and half of 2). But I wouldn't mind being able to buy an HD Re-release of the first three (and Reach, which I hear was pretty good). It can't hurt, and I am interested in playing it to see how things tie into Marathon (which apparently is no longer true with Halo 4. Sadness).
    But my big concern is: Halo is really at its best in multiplayer. The re-release would likely have a VERY small community (potentially split 3-4 ways). That would be bad.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Banned
    What are all these legendary exclusive FPS games that exist on PC?

Will somebody please tell me?

Pretty much all there is are console ports that are only optimized for recent hardware configurations.

Crysis 1? Sandbox in the vain of Halo that has a superior console version in a newer engine.

Stalker? Ridiculously buggy with janky gameplay although has some nice atmosphere.

Team Fortress 2? Hat Simulator.

Arma? A game where the AI can't drive vehicles, walk, or fight. The AI is only any good if it gets the drop on you.

Serious Sam? Still copying Doom but with more brown.

It's so telling you all have to come to the topic to bash the game.

Banned
    Crysis 1? Sandbox in the vain of Halo that has a superior console version in a newer engine.
    ...okay you're going to have to explain that one.

Banned
    It got released on Consoles for 14.99 digital only in the Cry-engine 3, with remastered suit powers.

Runs at a solid 30 fps and has 3D support etc etc.

The gameplay concessions made the game a LOT more fun.

Visual differences on a state of the art TV are minimal to the pc original.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    "Visual differences on a state of the art TV are minimal to the pc original."

You better be joking...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Fail.

30fps. please :)
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Banned
    It got released on Consoles for 14.99 digital only in the Cry-engine 3, with remastered suit powers.
    You mean with the dumbed down powers from the sequel?

Wow, whole 30FPS huh?

You know, just the fact that you consider quality of TV to be a determining factor in game's graphics speaks volumes about validity of your claims.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

The gameplay concessions made the game a LOT more fun.

What the fuck are you talking about? Have you even seen any of the console screens or footage? It looks substantially worse than the vanilla PC version, let alone a modded one.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Omg patrick swayze,you can't be serious with those claims xD

Banned
    TV features upscaling and sharpening (it looks like your using an FXAA injector like on Skyrim for example plus no jaggies) along with Motion Flow which generates frames between frames to give the appearance of... more frames.

Means every game appears silky smooth (about 120 fps) even if the ancient console boxes aren't capable of running it so.

Doom 3 BFG edition (PC) looks great on it (I turn of those extra features, my PC can beast it)

Also the suit powers were streamlined, not dumbed down. It made the Crysis games a whole lot better in some respects.

Ahhh to be a glorious master gamer that enjoys games for what they are, no matter the platform! A gamer capable of having fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I agree with Dirty Dancing in principle, but I am also gonna call crap on the Crysis visuals :p. In general, a (properly ported/designed) PC game has a much higher potential for visual shinies. In practice, it depends on how powerful your rig is and most people won't notice the difference.

The rest is mostly spot-on though, and I also agree that the streamlined controls are better (a case of "consolitis" being good, as it were).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I liked on the Crysis console trailer how they used the term "Remastered lighting" instead of "We had to take out HDR."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Arma? A game where the AI can't drive vehicles
    They drive better than me.

People may crap on Halo for being a toybox thing, but I will say Halo deathmatch is the most fun with friends since Quake/Quake2/Tribes2. Low grav and rocket launchers, lazer swords and sticky nades. I mean, a typical Halo map will usually have as much vertical as it does horizontal. It's whacky and floaty enough to be a lot of fun.

'Course, that opinion of mine may be skewed, because I say fuck off to this realistic modern/near-future shit that CS spawned.

Banned
    Ahhh to be a glorious master gamer that enjoys games for what they are, no matter the platform! A gamer capable of having fun.
    For someone who claims to enjoy games "no matter the platform" you sure sound pretty bent on proving the console versions are just as good if not better. In fact you sound quite rustled.

Also the suit powers were streamlined, not dumbed down.
    "Streamlining" is keeping the same functionality while making it more accessible at the same time. "Dumbing down" is removing functionality. Crysis 2 did the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by RakeShark View Post
    People may crap on Halo for being a toybox thing, but I will say Halo deathmatch is the most fun with friends since Quake/Quake2/Tribes2. Low grav and rocket launchers, lazer swords and sticky nades. I mean, a typical Halo map will usually have as much vertical as it does horizontal. It's whacky and floaty enough to be a lot of fun.

'Course, that opinion of mine may be skewed, because I say fuck off to this realistic modern/near-future shit that CS spawned.
    I agree. Our favorite used to be Halo 2's deathmatch, playing on Lockout, no shields, no radar, and weapons consisting only of shotguns, grenades and swords. What I'd give to be half a decade younger again...