Hotline Miami control help

I've read all the reviews, I've seen all the trailers, and I was hyped. I couldn't wait to play this weird thing. But then when I installed it, I noticed that you can only move your character with WASD.

Why is this a problem? I'm a bit handicapped, and really can't play on WASD. I have to use the arrows for precise things.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for avoiding this problem? Is there something in the menu that I've missed?
    Also known as Walter.

I think you can use an xbox360 controller, if that helps.

Network Hub
    Afaik you can't rebind keys, sorry. Also, since the game requires high precision and reflexes, a controller is far from suitable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I dunno, I think a controller would work pretty well. At least for the first few chapters, you are really just shooting/throwing/swinging in a general direction (and an analog stick might be better for that).

One possible option would be to use something like xpadder or joy2key to map the arrow keys to a gamepad (or even to WASD. I think XPadder could do that?).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    This thread has made me think that there must be a bit of software that lets you remap keyboard controls outside of a game, just the way you can set keyboard controls to your extra mouse buttons or keyboard controls to a gamepad. A quick Google search brought up this - http://www.autohotkey.com/

Not actually looked into it, but that looks like it allows you to setup macros to a single keystroke, so presumably you can bind a single key to another key. Looks to have quite a few interesting features actually.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Erk. Seriously, PC games without the option to rebind keys aren't really acceptable anymore. I'm very sorry to hear that's the case with Hotline Miami.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Supposedly there's a patch coming that allows keys to be remapped.

Ive tried using my keyboard's software to remap keys, but the game ignores it. If it's a feature that will be in a patch, I'll be very happy :D
    Also known as Walter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Gundato need to bring up gamepad in every thread there is on RPS haha :D

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Erk. Seriously, PC games without the option to rebind keys aren't really acceptable anymore. I'm very sorry to hear that's the case with Hotline Miami.
    Since this game is a "indie" all is forgiven...

Now seriously, i can get over the fact that this pixelated mess doesnt run on my PC because of video memory limitations! I know that i have a crappy PC, but even then it can run most games with PS2 level graphics. Fucking indies making unoptimized games and getting away with it.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I dunno, I think a controller would work pretty well. At least for the first few chapters, you are really just shooting/throwing/swinging in a general direction (and an analog stick might be better for that).

One possible option would be to use something like xpadder or joy2key to map the arrow keys to a gamepad (or even to WASD. I think XPadder could do that?).
    I beat the game with a controller. I actually prefer it to KB/M because I can quickly turn around with it. My only gripe is that the Lock-On button is the right thumbstick, which is a little difficult to depress when the camera is panned all the way over. Other than that, I love it. It gives a very SmashTV feel to the game.

This game handles brilliantly on a pad. Plenty of precision. They fixed the rumble glitches too which is a nice touch.
    Yeah the lock on thing got me killed a few times to start with but I'm over it now.

One of those things every PC game must do is allow us to rebind our keys. I always play with my numpad, it's frustrating to play with wasd. You can rebind the wasd keys but nothing else...

I've played for an hour or two with my X360 controller and heck, it's also frustrating. I just can't turn fast enough with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokroustis View Post
    Also, since the game requires high precision and reflexes, a controller is far from suitable.
    As someone who played Alien Swarm, Brutal Onslaught mode with Hardcore Friendly Fire on a joypad, fucking lol what.
    Last edited by Memph; 03-12-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Network Hub
    I'd probably have bought this game on launch but was turned off when I saw top-down 2D, keyboard movement and independent floating mouse cursor. I don't even need to play the game to know that's a terrible UI for an action game where you obviously need to turn rapidly; I learned that when trying to play a twin-stick shooter with the same controls.

Does playing with the controller get rid of the floating cursor so you just slam the stick and instantly face that way, or how does it work exactly?
    Last edited by victory; 03-12-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    As someone who played Alien Swarm, Brutal Onslaught mode with Hardcore Friendly Fire on a joypad, fucking lol what.
    Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokroustis View Post
    Good for you.
    Aye, that came off a bit dick swingy, I was just referencing a game that is known for being bastard hard. My intended point being that joypads are perfectly fine for games that require "precision and reflexes", arguably bar independant cursor/crosshair aiming. I was told plenty you couldn't play AS properly on a pad, and it was utter bollocks.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    Aye, that came off a bit dick swingy, I was just referencing a game that is known for being bastard hard. My intended point being that joypads are perfectly fine for games that require "precision and reflexes", arguably bar independant cursor/crosshair aiming. I was told plenty you couldn't play AS properly on a pad, and it was utter bollocks.
    I'm totally inept with a controller so it may be my misconception as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    I don't even need to play the game to know that's a terrible UI for an action game where you obviously need to turn rapidly
    If you say so. Most people including myself seem to get on fine with mouse and keyboard. It doesn't play like a twin-stick shooter.