Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Activated Node

Space Sims to play while waiting for Star Citizen

I feel a need to scratch that Space Sim itch after the Star Citizen kickstarter success.

The Freespaces, Wing Commanders, anything else by Chris Roberts such as Freelancer, Independence Wars 1 & 2, etc. those are obvious choices. I've played Tachyon The Fringe starring Bruce Campbell before.

What about other space sims I should play while waiting for Star Citizen??

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Older game that almost assuredly is being seen through rose-tinted glasses, but give Star Crusader a shot. Probably one of the earliest games to have a branching storyline

For more modern games, consider the Evochron series. Imagine the X-games but focused on combat, not trading. And you can actually enter the atmospheres of planets (not much point, but it is fun).

Darkstar One was flawed, but pretty fun.

That being said, you pretty much hit all the major ones (and I-War :p).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    There's always TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance :)

Banned
    Play some mods for some of those games, in particular Freespace, and invest in a decent joystick!

Can someone recommend "Galaxy on fire 2" ?

Eve online, freelancer, wing commander saga, diaspora.

Get Freespace 2-> Look for total conversions-> Be Happy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity_spoon View Post
    Can someone recommend "Galaxy on fire 2" ?
    Haven't played it on PC. It's okay on the iphone or ipad though. Very crisp.

Havent seen anyone mention Starlancer yet.

I've always thought it to be an underappreciated, oft-forgotten gem that has sadly been overshadowed by Freespace 2 and its open world semi-sequel Freelancer. Perhaps thats just the nostalgia talking, but I certainly played the whole campaign through a number of times and enjoyed the heck out of it. Judge for yourself if its worth your time, and good luck finding a copy as I cant seem to find it on any digital distribution service.

I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Haven't played it on PC. It's okay on the iphone or ipad though. Very crisp.
    Looking at how I can not afford an iphone/ipad.....ever, I'll probably get the PC version sometime later. Maybe in the summer 2013 sale. Thanks for the headsup

Galaxy on Fire 2 is on sale on Green Man Gaming. Use the code GMG25-G4VDR-0ZL4Q and you can get for for £2.43.

Just bought it myself but haven't played it. It's pretty popular though I gather.

GMG rejected my card :( The same card worked fine on Steam this morning when I bought TL 2 for a friend. Oh well, looks like summer 2013 it will be

Use Paypal instead?

My bank has some crazy ass restrictions on transactions done via paypal (Insert 3rd world kid meme here). So unless I go for another bank bank account, for which I'll have to apply for membership and cough up and insane amount of money (which I don't have) just to open an account, that isn't going to happen either. No worries. June/July 2013 will be here in a jiffy :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    For more modern games, consider the Evochron series. Imagine the X-games but focused on combat, not trading. And you can actually enter the atmospheres of planets (not much point, but it is fun).
    I'd sort of second Evochron but after playing it for a while I'd argue the combat isn't really that great. It's effectively just sliding around to exploit an AI flaw with their aiming. It's one case where I think arcade combat is better - this one is too Newtonian in its approach and it just makes it fairly ridiculous to play. Shame, because the rest of it is great.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Darkstar One was flawed, but pretty fun.
    Oh man, I'm still pissed about Darkstar One. It had a lot of promise but they completely forgot about the exploration aspect of the game. Once you've visited one system you've pretty much seen them all. It had a bit of Freelancer's accessibility, but it had an atrocious storyline and none of the universe charm that Freelancer has in bucketloads. It's a missed opportunity.

Really I can't think of anything else to recommend except Freelancer, or maybe the classic Elites (Frontier and up I guess, there's bound to be a decent port of them outside of the Pioneer project). Freelancer has that great exploration aspect and fun combat along with a decent storyline which makes it a real gem. It's just a shame that the universe is static.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Really I can't think of anything else to recommend except Freelancer, or maybe the classic Elites (Frontier and up I guess, there's bound to be a decent port of them outside of the Pioneer project).
    There's a fairly good DirectX hack of Frontier First Encounters available - although they've fiddled some of the keys around without documenting it (time acceleration is 6-0, not 1-5), and the pilot's console is pretty blank: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/FFE_D3D

There's also JJFFE, which is just a bit of tinkering to have FFE work on newer machines, and a few other broken/long gone hacks (GLFFE, Aniso's Mod, Nic's Mod)
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Quote Originally Posted by frenz0rz View Post
    Havent seen anyone mention Starlancer yet.

I've always thought it to be an underappreciated, oft-forgotten gem that has sadly been overshadowed by Freespace 2 and its open world semi-sequel Freelancer. Perhaps thats just the nostalgia talking, but I certainly played the whole campaign through a number of times and enjoyed the heck out of it. Judge for yourself if its worth your time, and good luck finding a copy as I cant seem to find it on any digital distribution service.

I love starlancer. I've must have played it dozens of times. I think it's great at what it does. It's a shame that it's obsessed with interrupting the action to show cutscenes. Still a great game. Amazing coop, although it gets quite easy when you have someone capable as a wingman instead of the retard AI.

hnygg.....m..must.....r..resist.....m..mentioning. ..........MWLL.....nyyaarrrgg!!
    Last edited by bad guy; 27-11-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Check this one out, it's a free fan-made Battlestar Galactica game made in the open source Freespace 2 engine. (technically not a mod, so you don't need Freespace 2)

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/ind...?topic=81859.0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Have you tried the fanmade Wing Commander Saga yet?