Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Put a Tax on Video-games to reduce gun violence

That apparently is the plan of the Connecticut legislature.

I dont have much to say about this honestly. I dont live there and its unlikely to have any effect outside of the state. Though frankly if they really wanted to do something they could just enforce the already existing rating system. I wouldn't exactly mind if 9 year olds couldent play condemned. But then again since 9 year olds dont have much spending money I cant help but think that the blame lies somewhere else.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sounds like orc mischief to me.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    This is a tax distributors will pass on directly to purchasers, and it's somewhat misdirected.

I much prefer Congress' idea of mandatory insurance on guns themselves.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Wut? O.o

Why not increase the tax on gun and ammo purchases instead?
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    They should start with those freedom-hating French games!

Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    Wut? O.o
    Well don't put too much stock in it: It's mostly bluster to satiate Connecticut residents' demands that something should be done (and something should be done) so they're basically taking, for lack of a better analogy, the shotgun approach.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post

Everything I've heard about Fox News is true.
    The world is now a much scarier place.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I love articles that obviously want to paint something as The Devil but all the evidence in the article says "yeah, this is basically ok".
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    Wut? O.o

Why not increase the tax on gun and ammo purchases instead?
    Because the NRA know how to lobby (bribe congressman/threaten to organize people to not vote for said politician). So attacking them is not beneficial to getting re-elected (because people are more likely to not vote for you out of spite than they are to vote for you because they like you).

Crap like this reminds me of the talk Michio Kaku gave at a Super Computing conference last year. In that context, it was how HPC (well, people who research computers in general) need lobbyists to get government money and beneficial laws. Same thing here.

Gaming needs to get some good slimy lobbyists to deal with this crap. We already have lobbyists who, to varying degrees of success, try and get piracy turned into an offense to be punished with the death penalty. We need lobbyists to say "Yo, this industry makes money and is awesome. Stop using us as the scape goat and go attack a different industry."
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    State-funded Kevlar for everyone.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Gaming needs to get some good slimy lobbyists to deal with this crap.
    Or, y'know, we could fix the fucking system.

Just sayin'.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Or, y'know, we could fix the fucking system.

Just sayin'.
    And we can end world hunger and make an army of Stana Katic clones whose sole purpose in life is to walk around in lingerie and alternatingly refer to us as Batman and/or Captain Mal (I like Castle, but he is no Malcolm Reynolds).

Or we can try and make things better by working through (and subverting) the existing system.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Because the NRA know how to lobby (bribe congressman/threaten to organize people to not vote for said politician). So attacking them is not beneficial to getting re-elected (because people are more likely to not vote for you out of spite than they are to vote for you because they like you).

Crap like this reminds me of the talk Michio Kaku gave at a Super Computing conference last year. In that context, it was how HPC (well, people who research computers in general) need lobbyists to get government money and beneficial laws. Same thing here.

Gaming needs to get some good slimy lobbyists to deal with this crap. We already have lobbyists who, to varying degrees of success, try and get piracy turned into an offense to be punished with the death penalty. We need lobbyists to say "Yo, this industry makes money and is awesome. Stop using us as the scape goat and go attack a different industry."

I don't suppose you have a link to that speech. Michio Kaku really rings my bell, in an intellectual manner. ^_~

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Herald View Post
    I don't suppose you have a link to that speech. Michio Kaku really rings my bell, in an intellectual manner. ^_~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RvxP9fcV9I

Not a great video, but it should give you a starting point.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Tax on people, free guns for all bears, anything less isn't american!
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

And we can end world hunger and make an army of Stana Katic clones whose sole purpose in life is to walk around in lingerie and alternatingly refer to us as Batman and/or Captain Mal (I like Castle, but he is no Malcolm Reynolds).

Or we can try and make things better by working through (and subverting) the existing system.
    Systems like this aren't fucking intractable, and at this stage fixing it is easier than trying to get anything fucking passed in Congress anyway.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

So this basically means that unless there's another shooting, people will use this as evidence that gaming is to blame? Great..

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Tax on people, free guns for all bears, anything less isn't american
    Panda wins thread.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

I vote for the Stana Katic clone\to be called Batman option. It is the more feasible option I think.

What I hate about all this is that they made this system seem acceptable to people.

Last edited by ado; 22-02-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    *Kadayi would very much like to visit this alternative reality*

Can we make some Olivia Wilde clones as well?

But yeah back on OT, this 'Tax the games' idea is just fucked, and is a complete denial of the real issue of gun culture being a massive problem.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe