Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

So, are we going to see any sort of comment or defense of Rob Florence?

I mean, the whole thing feels like something we need to talk about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sic View Post
    I mean, the whole thing feels like something we need to talk about.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ritics-corrupt
    You've seen this tread yes?

Network Hub
    Indeed.

Together with all the fuzz that has been around lately.

I was asking if RPS are going to write about it.

I think it's an important issue, but not something that should be on RPS. I sort of do, but on the other hand, RPS was set up to talk about how lovely PC games are, and not focus on the shortfalls or potential criticisms of the gaming industry. John's already posted his reponse to the debacle on Twitter and his blog, if you'd like a bit more insight to what they all might think.

Edit: Not backseat modding at all, just weighing in on my opinion of the affair :)

Network Hub
    I'm completely aware of John doing what he can in his personal time, the thing is, this really is something that should be out there, in the public space.

I understand fully why they wouldn't want to put their editorial ass on the line for something like this, but then again, I would understand fully why they would as well.

This is important.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    The Forbes article, I think, hit it on the head. Y'all are so worried about libel you've effectively set up a censorship network.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The Forbes article, I think, hit it on the head. Y'all are so worried about libel you've effectively set up a censorship network.
    Whoa there. We are all so allegedly worried about libel.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Gah, wrong thread!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Whoa there. We are all so allegedly worried about libel.
    It kinda reminds me of the Hollywood rating system: It's not federally decreed, but even self-censorship can be pervasive and insidious.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Obscure Node
    Yeah, something needs to be said. I trust the rps hive can find its one of those things that actually needs publication. Help the streissand flood! Also rab is the coolest, and i think he deserves a tidal wave of support.
    Last edited by Synesthesia; 26-10-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
    Yeah, something needs to be said. I trust the rps hive can find its one of those things that actually needs publication. Help the streissand flood! Also rab is the coolest, and i think he deserves a tidal wave of support.
    Over what? Deciding he's above being edited.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

My 2 cents... I personally don't like Rab's output, don't agree with the majority of his views, yadda yadda. But, I think he was in the right with his article, Eurogamer were wrong to edit it, and it's a shame he's been removed/forced out/compelled to stop writing for them. Clearly, Eurogamer were happy to run Rab's article until Intent/MCV started mentioning legal actions or whatnot. It's a shame, and he shouldn't be the one that's being 'punished' in this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    My 2 cents... I personally don't like Rab's output, don't agree with the majority of his views, yadda yadda. But, I think he was in the right with his article, Eurogamer were wrong to edit it, and it's a shame he's been removed/forced out/compelled to stop writing for them. Clearly, Eurogamer were happy to run Rab's article until Intent/MCV started mentioning legal actions or whatnot. It's a shame, and he shouldn't be the one that's being 'punished' in this situation.
    The guy is a freelancer, so it goes without saying that Eurogamer aren't under any obligation to give him work (although they may or may not of been some temporal agreement for future work). So there's a big question mark over how it is he can claim on his twitter that this writer has cost him a job and a lot of money into the bargain. I'm hard pressed to understand why Eurogamer editorial themselves would decide they no longer require/want his work. If they themselves disliked his article they'd have pulled it entirely (as is their prerogative). That it's still up (but edited) is indicative that they were happy with the content overall but acquiesced to the request by the other writers company to remove mention of her. So that leaves us two choices, the first being that MCV (a games industry trade magazine) are so vastly powerful that they can make big sites like Eurogamer not only retract statements, but also ensure that errant freelancers are permanently silenced (though why not have the entire article pulled instead?), or the guy was so personally offended by the sheer temerity of the Eurogamer editors altering his art that he's decided he's not going to write for them again. Now perhaps there's every possibility that MCV are indeed the Bavarian Illumanti of the game journalism scene, however I doubt it (call it Occams razor). In which case if it's really the situation that he's personally opted to walk away, is it really fair of him to imply the other person is directly responsible and suffer the rage of the endless internets of angry men? That to me is what doesn't sit right about this whole situation.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I missed all this.
    What article did he write?

Edit- nevermind I caught up. It's unfortunate that most of the articles about this have nothing to do with the stuff in the original article. It's all about how people are mean to that woman who tweeted about PS3s or something.
    Last edited by Sparkasaurusmex; 26-10-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    is it really fair of him to imply the other person is directly responsible and suffer the rage of the endless internets of angry men? That to me is what doesn't sit right about this whole situation.
    I think it's harsh to insinuate (as I feel you are doing here) that Rab is somehow angling to bring the rage of the internet down upon Lauren.

In fact I think he's made it clear that this was not his intention, see his guest post on John's blog (if you haven't already).

http://botherer.org/2012/10/26/guest...last-few-days/

I hope this clears your doubts on this situation (as up to now I've agreed with you when you've called people out on creating unfair drama as regards with Lauren's role in this).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Because what we really need in a debate all about how conflicts of interest can influence gaming journalists, is for the one site that Rab regularly writes for to publish an article on the topic.

Banned
    Could someone give a quick summary of what exactly happened and provide some links for further information? I'm a little confused here and this all sounds pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Could someone give a quick summary of what exactly happened and provide some links for further information? I'm a little confused here and this all sounds pretty interesting.
    http://wosland.podgamer.com/the-wainwright-profile/

Banned
    Cheers mate. To be honest it all sounds incredibly petulant and tedious, and a large hoohah over nothing. I miss the days when reviewers could write what they wanted. Not that I think most reviewers are bought, just that if there's this much trouble over someone voicing their opinion then it's no wonder they feel they have to watch what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    I think it's an important issue, but not something that should be on RPS. I sort of do, but on the other hand, RPS was set up to talk about how lovely PC games are, and not focus on the shortfalls or potential criticisms of the gaming industry. John's already posted his reponse to the debacle on Twitter and his blog, if you'd like a bit more insight to what they all might think.
    Then why have they been jumping on the "gaming feminism" band-wagon? Crap example but it's the most prominent one I can think of to mention here. I mean, one issue is worth harping on about and even insulting people over, but another gets completely ignored? While in the next few days one of the writers actually gave time to review a Family Guy game, albeit unfavourably, which is a show that goes out of its way to be offensive and is routinely sexist for laughs. Haven't seen any mention with regards to the DmC PC port about how the company creating it have treated fans, either.

Is it easier to distract from the issue of the gaming industry being massively corrupt by flitting to that issue? Also I believe there were some rumours about paid reviews at Future Publishing with mentions of a certain PC gaming publication and the change in direction under the new editor... Craig Pearson I believe?

I'm not entirely serious with that but it shows the level of trust I have for these potential shills.