Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Some Environmentalists Are Unbelievably Fantastic

Recently I learnt of this public campaign about targeting to cut 10% carbon emission. Very meaning I suppose. This is their website: http://www.1010global.org/

All you do is to live a simple life style, cut your unnecessary consumption, that's all. So this must be a good campaign...... until I was referred to this TV commercial:

I thought this was some kind of mocking of environmental protection Taliban, but I was informed otherwise. This is really produced by some truly believing in global warming. Some people are just that unbelievable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    This is really produced by some truly believing in global warming. Some people are just that unbelievable.
    I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of an ​unseasonal hurricane headed my way.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of an ​unseasonal hurricane headed my way.
    You feel unusual that hurricane can come in autumn? Old people here teach us that typhoon (Asia version of hurricane) is the most powerful in autumn, not summer.

Say hi to Sandy.

You feel unusual that hurricane can come in autumn? Old people here teach us that typhoon (Asia version of hurricane) is the most powerful in autumn, not summer.

Say hi to Sandy.
    You're not from around here, so let me give you a little help.

Number of times New York City gets hit with a hurricane: Not fucking often.

Except recently, and with increasing regularity and power, and far later than August as was usually the case.

Our country's hurricane season's gotten longer and longer, and stronger and stronger.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well, the professor who took my Environmental Studies class, and is a scientist working for the government seems to believe global warming, if it actually is occurring, shouldn't be a cause of concern for the general populace, its having been exaggerated by people with vested interests.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I actually think its happening the weather has been really screwy for a number of years and food has had a devastating effect. It might not be going on but the fact i the good side effects of defeating global warming ie getting away from oil, fixing the weather for food, not taking down trees outweigh the "Its a con" right now.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Recently I learnt of this public campaign about targeting to cut 10% carbon emission. Very meaning I suppose. This is their website: http://www.1010global.org/

All you do is to live a simple life style, cut your unnecessary consumption, that's all. So this must be a good campaign...... until I was referred to this TV commercial:

I thought this was some kind of mocking of environmental protection Taliban, but I was informed otherwise. This is really produced by some truly believing in global warming. Some people are just that unbelievable.
    ehhhh.. it's kind of funny, no?

Actually my whole point being, this advertisement unbelievable produce a message that "address the global warming issue with real actions or you die, and if necessary, we will be happy to be the executioners". The campaigners organizers as I know unsurprisingly were forced to apologize for this immature or straight out childish illustration. That was years ago (this video was uploaded in 2010). But it's frightening that some people really believe they have the right to dominate other people's living style in a manner like this. Isn't that what Fascists did?

What leads to global warming, that really remains to be seen. Or is there really global warming? But that's not really the main issue here. The point being, do any activists have the right to alter others' living style? Or they just say to you "no pressure" and then impose white terror upon you?

And they will be motivated to do so, we need to be cautious. Isn't carbon emission quota becoming a hot commodity among banksters?!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Actually my whole point being, this advertisement unbelievable produce a message that "address the global warming issue with real actions or you die, and if necessary, we will be happy to be the executioners"
    Or perhaps it just says that inaction will lead to the demise of humans.

That or it's simply meant to get us talking about it. Hey, success!
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

What leads to global warming, that really remains to be seen. Or is there really global warming? But that's not really the main issue here.
    No, it doesn't remain to be seen, there aren't "questions that need to be asked", it's not "still up in the air", and there's no "ongoing debate". The IPCC - the most relevant and qualified body in the world on the subject of climate change - came to a conclusion long ago, based on overwhelming evidence in favour of the fact that human industry influences climate change. Either you read through and assess that same evidence, fully understanding every facet of every study, and form a different conclusion based on thorough reasoning, or you defer to the people who've spent their whole fucking life studying this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Climate change is real, if you're trying to argue that it isn't, you're going against evidence. Who started it or whether it's natural is largely going to be irrelevant - the question is whether we can stop it, or whether we just need to mitigate against it. Either way, ditching our reliance on fossil fuels and looking to renewable or at least clean energy sources that aren't absurdly expensive and woefully impractical is a matter of importance. If not for climate change, then for the economy.

Really, even if you don't believe in climate change, you can at least believe in moving to effectively renewable sources of energy. Nobody except a short-sighted oil tycoon would want to cling to a dwindling resource.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    its having been exaggerated by people with vested interests.
    Maybe. Everyone has agenda.
    Yet it is hard to believe that petrol companies and other industries... the richest, most powerful organization and people with a very bad track record of committing illegal, immoral crimes are doing nothing against stopping this 'craze of Global Warming'
    I think they do. They have much bigger interest in proving that GW does not exist than any other group on this planet who supports the idea.

Climate change and global warming is happening. Scientists are not disputing that anymore. They still question how big of an impact it will have on the planet and what can we do to protect ourselves.
    The one solution is to limit pollution, to limit wastage of resources. You can't really go wrong with that. Of course big companies and governments who rely on those companies don't like that. Sans why they fight so hard to confuse the whole subject.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yes, reducing pollution, afforestation, resource managed but it has also provided developed countries an opportunity to push around developing countries like BRICS which was what happened at Cophenhagen.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    its having been exaggerated by people with vested interests.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I didn't say that was the case! Was just stating the opinion of my professor. I do believe that climate change is occurring in a noticeable way.

Thanks Nalano. It irks me so much that the only choice denialists have is literally a conspiracy theory (a damned stupid one at that) and everyday people are actually believing it. It's like the MMR shit all over again - you can work with someone you think's a perfectly nice, reasonable person and then they turn around and say "oh, no I haven't vaccined my kids; I don't trust all that shit - it's just a big scam". Like, parents of real children that will grow up to live for an average of 75 years or whatever. It's absolutely criminal that everyone sets the bar so low when it comes to evidence.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Anyone else feel like punching the people who made this video in the face?
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

I think any personal actions we can take save a laughable amount when compared to the emissions* that are produced by flying our food halfway around the globe because it's cheaper that way. This is more of a "oh, we are doing something for the environment, we are so good" initiative, which might be kind of nice, but ultimately useless.

On another note, most people I know don't disregard emissions and global warming as untrue because The Lobby is behind it, but rather think that the problem gets handled wrongly. In Germany, the political "eco goals" are dismissed as not working by scientists, for instance. Also, there are people living in poverty around the world, which I think would be a better, yet harder, problem to solve than global warming. Ultimately, I feel like global warming is mostly used as a diversion from what I would consider more important issues.

*Not only emissions; We are going to run out of precious fuel sooner or later, too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano
    *picture*.
    That. Image. Is. Awesome. I thank you for posting that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Labbes View Post
    Also, there are people living in poverty around the world, which I think would be a better, yet harder, problem to solve than global warming. Ultimately, I feel like global warming is mostly used as a diversion from what I would consider more important issues.

*Not only emissions; We are going to run out of precious fuel sooner or later, too.
    The problem is that global warming is actively destroying farming grounds in those same poorer regions of the world - and as good farming grounds are a requirement for anyone who wants to generate wealth one way or the other, the global warming issue is probably the biggest issue one needs to tackle on that front.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 28-10-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Yet it is hard to believe that petrol companies and other industries... the richest, most powerful organization and people with a very bad track record of committing illegal, immoral crimes are doing nothing against stopping this 'craze of Global Warming'
    I think they do. They have much bigger interest in proving that GW does not exist than any other group on this planet who supports the idea.
    No doubt but true science is hard to beat.

The thing is though that there's plenty of money to be made in renewables. No, forget money! There's an obscene amount of power. Hypothetically if you got cold fusion to work or had an incredibly efficient form of solar energy collection, you'd be able to name your price. Nobody is going to want to be held hostage to rising oil prices concentrated in the hands of a few. It'd provide independence from relying on other nations for oil supplies too. If you were a man with a heart as black as coal, you could limit or restrict your technology and control nations. At least until someone else came up with the same idea or did it better, but still...

The idea that the renewable way is all about being at-cost and with zero profit or has no potential for profit is absurd. Sure, there's no ongoing thing where you have a scarce resource dwindling away, but you can charge a crapload for the initial installation, and then to maintain it etc.