Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Late to the Android party. What games are worth playing?

First mention of Angry Birds or Temple Run gets a lawsuit. A smack for every social/P2W/grinding game without a good core gameplay. I don't mind paying for full apps.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I enjoy Triple Town very much.
    mickygor, Battlefield 3
    Otmer, League of Legends EUW
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    The one "game" that's really tempting me to switch is FPSeCe. Now you can enjoy it, you lucky git!
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

If you enjoy Roguelikes: http://www.dwellergame.com/
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    The one "game" that's really tempting me to switch is FPSeCe. Now you can enjoy it, you lucky git!
    I already played it on a GP2x-Wiz. I never found a game excessively of my liking in PSX that wasn't on SNES. I heard the N64 one runs awesome too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbill View Post
    If you enjoy Roguelikes: http://www.dwellergame.com/
    Looks...undeveloped. I installed DCSS with tiles (yup, there's an official version) but they still haven't figured out how to fix the control scheme -.-

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I was wondering about this too. Particularly in terms of (a) Decent Indie games, (b) Ports of classic PC games (or ones that work well on dosbox on android) and (c) Boardgame/CCG adaptions.

Basically, the kind of things that might be popular on RPS if RPS covered android.

Minecraft. The port is getting really good now, and you can change the controls to normal joystick mode so no shoehorned touch controls. Definitely worth it, but it can be frustrating if you regularly play the PC version and constantly notice the differences.

Apparatus. The Incredible/Fantastic Machine/Contraption, but one that never insults your intelligence and has the depth for some serious complexity. They're making a sequel which looks to be essentially a 2D Garry's Mod.

GTA3 - yeah it's legitimately the full GTA3 - how well it works will maybe depend on how it controls on your screen but driving's always fun.

LoopStack - not a game, but a four-track loop machine. It's incredibly, incredibly fun to play with and make stupid songs on.

Could've sworn there were more...

Edit: Oh, yeah, get a good GBA emulator and just play the Advance Wars series. That is literally all you need, ever. ( Sidenote: they need to make FTL for Android stat. )
    Last edited by tomeoftom; 28-10-2012 at 08:39 AM.

The GB emulators are great. I completed pokemon yellow in my phone and it was ok, not as good as the real thing but usable. Other games I've played: Game Dev Story (pretty addicting but ultimately too repetitive), Radiant HD, "Cut the rope" is ok, Abduction 2 and Osmos.

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    I enjoy Triple Town very much.
    +++

Its like crack, in a good way :)

Obscure Node
    If you've not played World of Goo already, it's incredibly fun and features goo (prime selling point). I picked up the recent Humble Android Bundle and Goo has definitely been my most played game (followed closely by Osmos HD).

I'm worried about this Triple Town business, though. I certainly don't need another game that has crack-like addiction powers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    It's more like morphine... You get your hit, then it makes you wait a while before you can press the button and get another one. Unless you pay for it, of course, then you can have all the opiates you want.
    mickygor, Battlefield 3
    Otmer, League of Legends EUW
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC

For the Triple Towners, how about Dungeon Raid?

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    It's more like morphine... You get your hit, then it makes you wait a while before you can press the button and get another one. Unless you pay for it, of course, then you can have all the opiates you want.
    It was the most effective use of the freemium model I've come across.

Snesoid and Gameboid are a must if emulation is your thing, they're two best GBA and SNES emulators; get them via Slideme.

Actual native android games I'm not too sure on as I mostly prefer quick stuff like card games and mahjong when I'm on the go. Random Mahjong is the best mahjong app in my opinion.

The problem for me is that the overwhelming majority of the good looking intersting games all seem to rely on microtransactions to some degree, even the pay for apps, and I just don't do that sort of thing.

Got one of these for my phone http://gametel.se/. Works great with Gameboid and Snesoid.

Emulators are a great option. You have, by default, and incredibly huge collection of good old games at your disposal.

As for android native games, I have a few tips...

Real time battles controlling a party of 4 heroes which you choose, equip and improve from a broad selection of fantasy clichés, I mean, classes. It looks real nice and offers action-filled combat.

This is a platformer.
    The hero is a japanese salaryman.
    The objective is to die. Often, in a very gruesome manner.
    This can be harder than it sounds, when the way to the sweet release of death is blocked by ingenious crate/button/platform puzzles.

I'm not a fan of automatic-movement-and-one-button-for-jumping games, at all. Yet, this one got me addicted like cocaine.
    (Or so I assume; I've never used cocaine.)

Kinda like Ski Safari, it snuck up on me; the format may soon wear me out, but eh, at least it seems to be quite well polished.