Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Touchscreen games on PC

This is a thread about PC games that take advantage of touch screens. It would be nice to have a list of compatible games suggested by the community. Ideally they shouldn't need a keyboard or mouse at all, but that isn't strictly necessary so long as they have well-integrated touch screen controls.
    Conversely, there are some games that surprisingly do not work with touch interfaces. Endless Space, for example, is dependent on right clicks for moving ships, making an otherwise excellent game unplayable without a mouse. FTL is functional but hellish, with no spacebar for pausing and tiny crew members that expertly evade my shaking fingers while everything burns down around them.

I've noticed quite a few tablets running windows have snuck into stores lately, as well as desktop all-in-one systems. These platforms obviously aren't ideal for a lot of games, but touchscreens do open up some interesting possibilities for the wannabe artists and Star Trek fans among us. I myself recently picked up a Microsoft Surface Pro second hand which is actually pretty capable, thanks to an i5 and hd4000 graphics.

What I have discovered so far:
    Crayon Physics: This is a physics puzzler where the player draws the solutions. Absolutely amazing fun with a stylus, although fingers work as well. Unfortunately a keyboard is necessary for one reason. The ESC button is the only way to access the in-game menu.

Card Hunter: A turn-based strategy\card game which you are probably already aware of if you have been reading RPS lately. I quite like playing this with the tablet lying down on the table, it adds to the board-gaming vibe. Press down on the cards for about a second to preview them. There's probably quite a few browser-based games that work with touch input, this one just happens to be really good.

That's it for now, but I'm downloading Baldur's Gate:Enhanced Edition and the new X-Com game for further experimentation. I'll give em a whirl over the weekend and report back. Feel free to add your own suggestions or or anything else touch-screen related.
    Last edited by Snargelfargen; 20-09-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Civ V also has touch screen controls.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Civ V also has the amazing property of having me stare at the screen for a full minute before realizing I never pressed the button to end the turn.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Thanks, I'll add that to the list. Gives me a good reason to actually play Civ, I've always ignored the series for the crime of not being Alpha Centauri.

I can't remember if I played Crayon Physics on my phone or on my PC (or both) but I didn't enjoy it very much. I think it would definitely benefit from a bigger touchscreen and a stylus. A mouse or a clumsy finger makes for a much more finicky game.

I remember that Skulls of the Shogun got high acclaim, and given that it used to be Win8 exclusive I imagine it would have touchscreen support as well, but I wouldn't know how practical they are.

When I look through my Humble library of Android games, I also see Aquaria, BIT.TRIP BEAT, Eufloria, Organ Trail, Osmos, Spacechem (how could I forget Spacechem!) Stealth Bastard Deluxe, Uplink, Waking Mars and World of Goo. So you can expect all of those to work well on a touchscreen, although for that to work, their PC versions must have an option of enabling touchscreen controls, and I don't know whether all of them have that option. There are Android games in there, but those fall into the category of straight mobile ports.

I also noticed that Minecraft has an option for touchscreen controls, but I'm not sure why you would ever want to do that. It seems vastly inferior to M&KB, but of course, I think that about most touchscreen control methods...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Civ V also has the amazing property of having me stare at the screen for a full minute before realizing I never pressed the button to end the turn.
    Is that because on turn 1000 on Huge takes a minute to complete?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Snargelfargen View Post
    Thanks, I'll add that to the list. Gives me a good reason to actually play Civ, I've always ignored the series for the crime of not being Alpha Centauri.
    Where were you for Civ 1 and 2?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    One thing I like about the DS/3DS is touch controls done well. I hate mobile games that simply put on a virtual gamepad.

Most Android ports of PC games work well on my Nexus 7. As LTK noted, most PC versions never added touch/Win8 support.

PC to Android/iOS ports:
    Anomaly (retooled for touch by dropping the commnader)
    Machinarium (Probably most easy going Point and Click adventure games work with touch)
    World of Goo
    Avadon
    Minecraft
    more

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Crayon Physics was designed for a mouse originally I think - which makes it a BIT clumsy with something as imprecise as a finger...

That said - it was imprecise with a mouse too, if memory serves...

I was noodling with a Win8 touchscreen laptop last night but the owner only wanted me to 'make it like Windows 7' which was a shame because I was just getting the hang of it when I had to turn it all off. Change scares people tho (and to be fair, finding the Control Panel was a fucking nightmare).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Is that because on turn 1000 on Huge takes a minute to complete?
    When you're lucky and there's no wars going on.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Bump.

I got a Dell Venue 8 Pro today. It's a fantastic tablet with a full version of Windows 8.1. I installed Steam (on a tablet!) and played a bit of Civilization V. Flawless!

As for Hearthstone, it works better than expected. It feels like a native app. I was afraid of not being able to make sense of the cards in hand but it's super-smooth. Except for that time I fireballed my own minion. There's a learning curve which has more to do with your screen-touching abilities than the game.

Here's a good thread about gaming on the DV8P. However I'm looking for things that can be played exclusively with touch controls.

Network Hub
    Wargame: European Escalation added touchscreen support in the Fatal Error DLC (free). Haven't tried it so no idea how well it works.

According to this post on Quarter to Three, they also have touch support in Wargame: Airland Battle.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    ::THREAD, RISE FROM THE GRAVE::

There's a Surface 3 in the family now. Slick little bit of tech. I can't believe how accurate the touch controls are on the Windows desktop. It's not like they really reworked the desktop GUI features for my stubby fingers, but I can generally click and drag to resize or close windows on the first try.

Anyway, I've been playing Ace Combat, and it's just perfect. Yeah, it was probably a mobile game from the start, but enjoyable.

Hearthstone is flawless.

One user on Steam has curated a nice list of touch-friendly games. Turns out I have quite a few so will try out some more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    If it's compatible with BlueStacks I guess you'd have a pretty large library of touch games but I guess that's cheating :P

I can't think of any myself actually. Maybe Bridge Constructor, very simple interface point and click kind of game. Or those slow kind of point and click adventure games.

All I want is Framed.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    If it's compatible with BlueStacks I guess you'd have a pretty large library of touch games but I guess that's cheating :P
    I've actually installed Andy the Android Emulator because there isn't a native Windows application for Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited. Andy is pretty great. The installation is simple enough though it sometimes requires rebooting.

Problem with these Android emulators for Windows is I don't think any of them recognize multi-touch. That breaks some games.

Both Bluestacks and Andy can work in combination with a networked Android phone to send the control commands to the PC, but when you're doing that it kind of misses the point of having an Android installation on the PC.

Still, I can recommend Andy as a quick and dirty way to get your Android stuff running on Windows. Not sure how it performs on other machines but on Surface 3 it is passable.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong and Bluestacks will do multi-touch? Will test
    Last edited by icupnimpn2; 23-02-2015 at 12:22 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Never seen that, looks pretty cool, it advertises more features than BlueStacks, at least that's how it compares itself :D

Haven't really been that interested in Android emulation on PC, not sure why, pretty cool to see another one like that though, might try it sometime on my laptop :P

I assume you can run it fullscreen and stuff, seems like something very nice on a Surface like you have actually :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Crayon Physics was designed for a mouse originally I think - which makes it a BIT clumsy with something as imprecise as a finger...

That said - it was imprecise with a mouse too, if memory serves...

I was noodling with a Win8 touchscreen laptop last night but the owner only wanted me to 'make it like Windows 7' which was a shame because I was just getting the hang of it when I had to turn it all off. Change scares people tho (and to be fair, finding the Control Panel was a fucking nightmare).
    Which control panel. There are at least 2 in Win8! :D
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Activated Node
    I've got a Linx 10 tablet and have given my Steam library a quick scan. Shadowrun Returns seems to work flawlessly. I'm now saving Dragonfall for when I'm away with the tablet.

Interested to hear how the Baldurs Gate EEs work.....

Network Hub
    Hexcells works great on the Surface Pro, if you play with the stylus in order to have a quick right click !