Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Ubisoft aggressively suggest you buy from UPlay with imaginary authorised sellers

So.. Yeah, Ubisoft have long been creeping towards king evil developer, but now they are just thieves.

http://savygamer.co.uk/2015/01/26/he...-distributors/

I hope Ubisoft intend to provide refunds.

Excerpt:
    What’s it to be Ubisoft? Are we expected to trust
    PewDiePie when he is showing off your games,
    but not to trust him when he tells us where to
    buy them? If these retailers are conducting
    fraudulent activity, why on earth are you
    engaging with someone who promotes them to a
    massive audience? Why are you granting him
    monetization permission? It’s entirely feasible
    that someone could discover PewDiePie via
    official Ubisoft marketing channels, and then
    discover G2A.com via PewDiePie. It seems to me
    that there is an element of hypocrisy in Ubisoft’s
    actions. They want coverage from PewDiePie and
    other youtubers and streamers, but aren’t
    bothering to check whether they are directing
    customers to unauthorised retailers, nor to deny
    monetization permission if they are.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 26-01-2015 at 04:32 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    So.. Yeah, Ubisoft have long been creeping towards king evil developer, but now they are just thieves.

http://savygamer.co.uk/2015/01/26/he...-distributors/

I hope Ubisoft intend to provide refunds.
    Ah, Ubisoft. Their idiocy never ceases to amaze me. I do kind of approve of the grey market getting smacked down, given the shady practices they engage in (especially G2A), though Ubi did instigate the whole thing with their ludicrous pricing schemes. It is however a shame that people who had no idea what was going on were caught in the crossfire, as I`m pretty sure most of them didn`t really know or care about the legality/lack thereof of these resellers and Ubi did nothing to alert them and let them take action to avoid getting robbed. Yes, it would still be pretty shitty of them, but at least it would not be a bolt from the blue.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Obscure Node
    I got my copy of far cry 4 from G2A, and as described uplay have deleted my key.
    No communication from uplay about this, they just did it.

Obscure Node
    Whilst buying from grey key sites is never really a done deal. I don't think that people just having their keys taken off them is really the way to go, if anything it will just drive people towards piracy. Which is the one thing UBI hate more than anything.

G2A are extremely shady. We get a lot of botspam from them, and it's likely that part of their merchandise was acquired by fraudulent means.
    As for Ubisoft removing games, well, it's not very elegant. A consumer has virtually no means to distinguish an illegally acquired key from a legit one. A little bit of goodwill would have been the wiser move. This can easily turn into another PR nightmare for them.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    They aren't targeting resellers on a whole though. I have Far Cry 4 from a reseller and I got Far Cry 4 season pass from another reseller and my season pass has been revoked but my game is still there.

It seems as if they are going after a certain type of key, maybe stolen or chargebacks. I think the sites that offer reseller keys really need to drop any one that has sold a stolen key thats been revoked.

Obscure Node
    Just seems odd that uplay/ubisoft say nothing.
    If the keys are stolen goods, then buyers (like me) had no right to them and I accept that, but they don't say anything other than these stories about unauthorized sellers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    What do you mean "imaginary authorised sellers"?

Somewhere like G2A has a reputation for being shady. Someone like GMG doesn't and ditto for Steam. So Steam and GMG are probably authorised by Ubisoft to sell their products.

I don't think this is a great way for Ubisoft to handle this but I'm also at a bit of a loss to think of a better way. I suppose they could've let consumers keep their games and warn them that further keys bought from unauthorized sellers won't be tolerated and then give them a list of authorized sellers?

One thing I'd like to know though is how Ubisoft can identify the keys came from G2A?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I don't think this is a great way for Ubisoft to handle this but I'm also at a bit of a loss to think of a better way. I suppose they could've let consumers keep their games and warn them that further keys bought from unauthorized sellers won't be tolerated and then give them a list of authorized sellers?

One thing I'd like to know though is how Ubisoft can identify the keys came from G2A?
    Personally I would have felt better if they emailed me to say the key I bought was going to be revoked because it was obtained fraudulently or whatever and then revoked it. The only way to know if you key was bad is to log into uplay and see if your game is still there, thats whats annoying for me at least.

Its not G2A. Its illegal keys, that were bought by charge back, stolen credit cards or comprised accounts, so they have revoked all those keys. I did not buy from G2A and have had my season pass revoked. G2A and Kinguin allow other resellers to use their networks, so you could be buying from anyone, and its there that the illegal keys were bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    Personally I would have felt better if they emailed me to say the key I bought was going to be revoked because it was obtained fraudulently or whatever and then revoked it. The only way to know if you key was bad is to log into uplay and see if your game is still there, thats whats annoying for me at least.

Its not G2A. Its illegal keys, that were bought by charge back, stolen credit cards or comprised accounts, so they have revoked all those keys. I did not buy from G2A and have had my season pass revoked. G2A and Kinguin allow other resellers to use their networks, so you could be buying from anyone, and its there that the illegal keys were bought.
    I can see how that would be really annoying for the customer. Going to play your game only to be told nope.

My understanding was it had to do with stolen cards etc, I just wasn't sure how they traced it to G2A although I'm sure people who bought from other "grey" market places also got hit. I didn't realize they operated as a marketplace though.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    What do you mean "imaginary authorised sellers"?

Somewhere like G2A has a reputation for being shady. Someone like GMG doesn't and ditto for Steam. So Steam and GMG are probably authorised by Ubisoft to sell their products.
    Probably isn't a very useful word.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    In Germany, key selling infringes copyright.

A classic example of courts not applying common sense. The letter of the law trumps the spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Probably isn't a very useful word.
    You probably know what I meant though.

I'm not a representative of Ubisoft so I'll use probably, but I'm sure a company like GMG or Steam is authorised to sell keys since they're bring provided with them by Ubisoft. The same way the shop on the corner is allowed sell a packet of smokes it imported legally and has a license to sell them but I'm not allowed sell all these smokes that fell off a truck out of my front window for half the market value.

Unless it turns out that Ubi are banning keys from Steam users or GMG users or actual reputable sites (and no, paying Pewdiepie big money to be the face of your company doesn't make you reputable) then I think this is being blown out of proportion. They're banning copies that were bought from a shady dealer who sold them for shady sellers.

Steam ID

Network Hub
    I suppose they could've let consumers keep their games and warn them that further keys bought from unauthorized sellers won't be tolerated and then give them a list of authorized sellers?
    That is exactly what they should have done. G2A is a weird site, but without a lot of time immersed in gray market sellers/games markets you wouldn't really know it. Now a bunch of people who purchased their games are out their cash and their game. If this happened to me I would be very hesitant to purchase a Ubi game again at anything other than bargain bin prices from Steam.

Send a warning through Uplay to all these players. "This copy of (Game Name) is using a fraudulent digital key. In the future we will be revoking fraudulent digital keys. Here is a list of authorized distributors."

Let people keep the item that they paid for and let them know in the future you will be doing something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wengart View Post
    That is exactly what they should have done. G2A is a weird site, but without a lot of time immersed in gray market sellers/games markets you wouldn't really know it. Now a bunch of people who purchased their games are out their cash and their game. If this happened to me I would be very hesitant to purchase a Ubi game again at anything other than bargain bin prices from Steam.

Send a warning through Uplay to all these players. "This copy of (Game Name) is using a fraudulent digital key. In the future we will be revoking fraudulent digital keys. Here is a list of authorized distributors."

Let people keep the item that they paid for and let them know in the future you will be doing something about it.
    I'm off to apply for the position of "Common Sense Manager" at Ubi.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    In Germany, key selling infringes copyright.

A classic example of courts not applying common sense. The letter of the law trumps the spirit.
    Interesting, in the US someone went to court with autodesk over reselling 3dstudiomax, he won. This was also involving a key-thingy IIRC, it's been a while since that news broke. I wonder how legal UBI is operating with this and what sort of blowblack they were not expecting...
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Let's play flightsimulators: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...793#post659793

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Ah, Ubisoft. Their idiocy never ceases to amaze me. I do kind of approve of the grey market getting smacked down, given the shady practices they engage in (especially G2A), though Ubi did instigate the whole thing with their ludicrous pricing schemes.
    Yeah, regardless of the ethics or not of the resellers (does anyone know how this has broken down? has anyone lost keys from the g2a storefront, or is it auction/market ones, etc?) this is some fantastically deluded stuff. Having effectively then re-stolen the key back from the customer, the customer will of course be positively disposed to giving ubisoft 50 pounds for the same thing they've already bought once before. And then, having deepened their connection to the customer, the customer will of course forget all about Chemical Revolution for 4 bucks, and pay whatever Ubisoft want for the next DLC, Assassin's Creed DLC being the one product people can't possibly be without.

I swear I once saw stringer bell explain this to a bunch of gang members in a copy shop. Is stringer bell available to go to france?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Yeah, I have very little patience with the idea Ubisoft are the devil - never had any significant problems with Uplay, have happily paid full price for their games, wouldn't complain too much if they revoked the games I've bought for... less. (Though I don't use G2A and their ilk, just as I don't share Lewie's views that anywhere for any price is fair game by default.)

That said, this is unquestionably pretty tone-deaf on Ubisoft's part. A press release would have been good; fair warning would have been better, and goodwill better still ("You can keep whatever you bought, but it's zero tolerance from now on" etc.). IIRC when Devolver did this they came out and explained it, and I think they may even have gone back and said "Okay, we won't revoke anything you already purchased"?
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Clearly, they should go after the key shops instead of their customers. It can't be that hard to type "assassins creed key" into Google and then check if all the shops that come up are authorized, can it? Just let the intern do it.

The way they actually handled this, all they're going to get is hatred.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    Clearly, they should go after the key shops instead of their customers. It can't be that hard to type "assassins creed key" into Google and then check if all the shops that come up are authorized, can it? Just let the intern do it.

The way they actually handled this, all they're going to get is hatred.
    The thing is the key shops aren't illegal, yes they are not authorised but you can't stop them. They act like ebay, and its these random sellers that have stolen keys.

As far as I can tell, its only the market ones from certain sellers that have been revoked, so they have a list of keys that were obtained illegaly and have wiped them. Which is fair enough, but its the fact that you only find out if its missing from your account.