Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Microsoft reportedly in talks to BUY AMD.

Microsoft reportedly interested in acquiring AMD
    The AMD acquisition talks continue, with Microsoft now reportedly throwing their hat into the ring

We're only a couple of weeks into the Radeon R9 Fury X being on the market, but buyout rumors continue to flow onto the Internet, with Microsoft now reportedly interested in acquiring AMD.

Is Microsoft going to buy AMD??

KitGuru is reporting from their sources that Microsoft is interested in acquiring AMD, which would make sense. But, remember that Microsoft has a very tight relationship with Intel when it comes to their products and Windows. Microsoft also maintains a very close relationship with AMD, as their Xbox One is powered by an APU made by AMD.

Microsoft has a huge $95.3 billion in cash, so it wouldn't take much to buy AMD at their market cap of $1.81 billion right now. If you consider the current value of AMD right now, it is three times less than what AMD paid for ATI Technologies back in 2008. With analysts estimating that Microsoft pays around $100 per APU to AMD for its Xbox One, Microsoft has already shelled out $1.26 billion or so to AMD with its 12.6 million Xbox One units sold.

Where it gets even more interesting, is thinking about the after effects of AMD being acquired by Microsoft. Sony would be paying Microsoft for every processor it buys from AMD for its PlayStation 4, so what would Sony do for the PS5? It would have to move over to NVIDIA, Intel, ARM or another company for its PlayStation 5 console.

The buyout talks are interesting, and with the current yield issues that AMD is experiencing with HBM on its new Fury range of cards, this could really help the company better compete against the unstoppable NVIDIA.

Terrible Idea IMHO.

Please god no. We don't need Windows favoring one set of drivers over another.
    ~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Dear God. AMD is worth 1.8 billion only? A fucking Whatsapp cost more than that.

Dunno what to think about this idea. It would be saving grace for AMD and in a way would allow true competition in gpus and especially cpus.

Also I am fan of cyberpunk so Microsoft merging with AMD, then with some big Korean company would tickle my fancy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    I'd love to see this result in a three-way war between M$, Google and Apple. They just need to start producing cyberware and we'll be set.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Apple still buys a ton of components from Samsung, despite their bitter rivalry in the mobile phone market and in patent court. I'm just saying, Microsoft potentially buying AMD is pretty unlikely to damage AMD's business with other companies.

I choose to remain positive and consider this a good move regarding the future of AMD and their rivalry with Nvidia.
    Steam: Skyturnedred
    Battle.net: Skyturnedred#2874

You don't need to be a Marxist in order to realize that international conglomerates are hardly a good thing. On the other hand, an Nvidia monopoly wouldn't be any better.
    Immersive Sims on Steam WIP

Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

Without directions a lot of people wind up going round in circles...

Quote Originally Posted by Skyturnedred View Post
    I choose to remain positive and consider this a good move regarding the future of AMD and their rivalry with Nvidia.
    My thoughts exactly. Pump some Microsoft money into there and we might see some real competition for nVidia.

Though with that said, I would think the gaming side of things is more of an after-thought if this rings true. This could cheapen manufacture of a lot of their products, and it would already for the Xbox One, and further their goal of unified platform infrastructure by giving more freedom and control of the hardware aspect, and their platforms as a whole. And considering their push of the Cloud, I could see a lot of benefits for Azure with this acquisition. For the cost Microsoft would be looking at, I can definitely see the benefits.

I don't think we need to jump to the conclusion that we'll see any kind of negative impact on nVidia cards because of this deal, should it be true. Microsoft's recent decisions seem not to be very platform aggressive and wouldn't make this the most logical conclusion to first arrive at, unless others can enlighten me on recent decisions which prove otherwise I have missed; they have Windows Phone, but Microsoft apps are still being pushed to natively function on Android. Similarly, they seem to want fast adoption of Windows 10 and their unified platform approach by giving it for free, which includes DirectX 12, and I don't think they'll shoot themselves in the foot by in any way nerfing the performance for the majority of the PC Gaming community whom use nVidia cards because of this. Just doesn't make sense to me in the grand scheme of the decisions they've been moving towards. We may see performance gains for AMD cards, and I'd be surprised if we didn't, plus with Microsoft money I bet we'd be seeing a significant increase in quality, but I don't think Microsoft would deliberately ensure performance decreases for nVidia with DirectX 12 or something akin to that.

tl;dr

don't worry, be happy
    Last edited by Rorschach; 30-06-2015 at 03:03 PM.

If this ends up being true, I don't see anything negative about it. It's no secret in the gaming world that if you want to build a high-end monster rig, you're buying an Intel CPU and an Nvidia GPU. AMD products are regarded as subpar and the "cheap" alternative for those who can't afford Intel/Nvidia. Of course, I've been using AMD/ATI components for a little over half a decade so I don't say all this to be negative; merely how I've observed my fellow gamers react to the company products.

This could be a very good thing for the industry as a whole. I remember there was a whole lot more diversity in the late 90's than today for gaming, and diversity is always good. Sure, it's just another megacorp increasing its size, but it's a better alternative than the path we're on of Intel/Nvidia only or forget about ultra-res gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    If Microsoft buy AMD, Steam should by NVidia, both become consoles... Hell freezes over.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    I'd love to see this result in a three-way war between M$, Google and Apple. They just need to start producing cyberware and we'll be set.
    you mean youll be set.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    On one hand, this sounds terrifying; it could potentially open the door to all sorts of abuse (I'm sorry Sony, you wanted more APUs for your consoles? Ooops, really sorry nVidia, the latest security update fudged up your GameWorks feature set! and so on...)

On the other hand, AMD's graphic drivers might finally become somewhat freaking decent.

Anything that keeps the company alive and secures its long term prospects is a good thing at this point. No one wants a Nvidia monopoly (coming from someone who hasn't bought a heater/ATI card in ages).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Oh fuck no.

Second thoughts. Jesus fucking titty christ no.

Though I can't see this getting through any properly fanged monopoly investigation. The space for downright abuse by not providing linux drivers, the ability to infringe PlayStation/AMD patent secrets etc. Yeah AMD need pulling out of the doldrums against Nvidia and Intel but this is the worst possible fucking outcome.

Fucking hell why won't MS just die already. Along with all their shite programming languages and propriety server tech. Fine they're integrating Docker but they're still knobs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This would be terribad. Way too much control for MS over the graphics market. They've done shit before, where they changed the to-be-released DirectX in the last minute, resulting in one manufacturer suddenly finding themselves disadvantaged, because their hardware wasn't built that way.

No no no. Anyone, but not the owner of the world's most important desktop OS.
    Last edited by DanMan; 30-06-2015 at 08:02 PM.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    No no no. Anyone, but not the owner of the world's most important desktop OS.
    The Open Group is going to buy AMD?

So basically AMD is the next Nokia?

Quote Originally Posted by BattlePsyche View Post
    AMD products are regarded as subpar and the "cheap" alternative for those who can't afford Intel/Nvidia.
    I suppose some fanbois put it like that, yes.
    Last edited by alms; 30-06-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    Rock, Paper, Shotgonne - Come join us. We have LOOT!
    The Onward March of Bundles
    - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Activated Node
    In other news, desperate AMD shareholders play pump and dump with fabricated acquisition news.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Haven't seen this story/rumour picked up on the other tech sites I frequent. Wouldn't get too excited.
    Last edited by Lethe; 30-06-2015 at 09:09 PM.
    "... the sort of atheist who did not so much disbelieve in God as personally dislike him."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Haven't seen this story/rumour picked up on the other tech sites I frequent. Wouldn't get too excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwyjibo View Post
    In other news, desperate AMD shareholders play pump and dump with fabricated acquisition news.
    It all stems from a single source, from a site with 0 reputation.
    The ultra-M$ fanbois are keeping mum, so I'd call it BS too.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?