Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

The Binding of Issac: Rebirth

Said game is out later today.

Key features of the Rebirth version (stolen from the Steam page):

• Over 500 hours of gameplay
    • 4 BILLION Seeded runs!
    • 20 Challenge runs
    • 450+ items, including 160 new unlockables
    • Integrated controller support for popular control pads!
    • Analog directional movement and speed
    • Tons of feature film quality animated endings
    • Over 100 specialized seeds
    • 2-Player local co-op
    • Over 100 co-op characters
    • Dynamic lighting, visual effects and art direction
    • All-new game engine @60FPS 24/7
    • All-new soundtrack and sound design
    • Multiple Save slots
    • Poop physics!
    • The ultimate roguelike
    • A bunch of achievements
    I'm hyped, hyped, hyped!

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    I was just thinking of making a thread, but thought Id wait till i had my first loss under my belt (So about 40 seconds after the game is released).
    Got the game preloaded and I was running the twitch stream from yesterdays preview in the backround, though Ive had to stop to get some work done. The run starts around 4:20:00 with Ed providing some interesting comments now and then.
    Saveslots and co op will be a big game changer I think. I know a few people who have crazy hours because they would leave the game on to not lose a run.
    Also looking forward to daily seeds to do.
    However, i think im going to need to change how i play the game. With analogue movements, wasd might not cut it anymore.

EDIT: Forgot about analogue movement. I think ill have to switch from kb to a controller.
    Is there a good way to share what happen on runs, or ones of particular interest, other than the death/victory screen?
    Last edited by Peter Radiator Full Pig; 04-11-2014 at 02:30 PM.

I hope the Vita port is good. Having Spelunky and BoI:R in portable form sounds incredible.
    Add me: Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Not just Vita, seems like there might be a 3DS and Wii U version too.

But yes, I have the game pre-loaded because 380mb is just too much to get in the less than 5 minutes it took to get last night! About 150 hours on the original, Platinum Goded, very excited about this one.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Thread reminded me I need to grab this before the pre-order discount for owners of the original expires, cheers!
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I want to like Isaac but the whole poop thing makes me feel quite sick.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think it's meant to. The whole game is pure horror all the way, masked (or enhanced, even) by the cutesy presentation. I love the game, but if I stop to think about what's going on it I don't feel so good. I played it back as a new parent a couple of years ago, and it hits pretty hard.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    God no, I want to sometimes do something else. Need a supply of canned food and man-nappies for such titles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Did you all bring your G̶o̶l̶d̶e̶n̶ Platinum tickets?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    *Imagine amusing .GIF here*
    Where's Isaac? I'm starting to lose vision from the tension...

21 minutes i could of been playing isaac? And the worst part it Northerlion is streaming it at this very moment.
    I would of thought steam releases a game automatically at the time it said (1800)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It was never extremely precise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Valve time is a phrase for a reason.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Have to say Im quite impressed with it so far. No slowdown at any point so far, controls are now better, some new interesting new enemies and the new boss The Cage is brilliantly done I think.
    Only done 2 mom kills, 1 heart kill so far, unlocked myself Eden who I will try tomorrow.

Anyone find any crazy items so far? Nothing Ive got has been too far out there, though there have been hits at some really cool things.

This was a strange one (dont click if you want to find stuff all yourself, but that should be the name of the thread tbh):

http://imgur.com/wei2mjM

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat. How did you? Nevermind that, I found an entrance to the secret/item rooms from the original Zelda which led to me being confused when I got a telepills in that room to a Devil room and then walked out back into the secret entrance way and walked AROUND THE LEVEL to get back into the secret secret area. Follow?

Performance is good, although two things are bringing slow down for me. Firstly, mass Brimstone (hint: some enemies have them...) as well as when you get the item that allows you to do shots behind you every so often as well (yeah, that works). Secondly, activating some pills and tarot cards will flash the screen and slow down time. Not a big deal, used to it, but that could also be my computer (the lack of graphics card wasn't exactly a problem with the original).

Otherwise, I quite like the aesthetics. The visual style works well and there's some neat animations here and there that add a bit of depth to the game that it lacked before. Audio...I'm not so sure on. Some of the rooms are fantastic, others are just sort of there and don't do much. The Womb has super loud squelching sounds that would work well if there was a hint of them rather then "Can you hear the squelches? YOU SHOULD HEAR THEM." None of it is bad though.

As for the main game itself, there's just tons of new items already that I'm getting lost with some and haven't had a chance to work them out. I've beaten the game 4 (?) times now with Isaac, Maggie and, errm, Isaac and Eden, I think. I'm not sure what Eden does. Given his introduction, I'd say he has random stats each time you start with him, but given all the random items I've been picking up, it's hard to know for sure. Azrael is a nice idea, starting off with a short-range Brimstone, but it's so short range that it's really hard to not die. The 'final' boss has been neatly retuned because it felt like Mom was way harder than it. At least now it has a really cool mechanic to go with it.

Finally, for the moment at least, fuck the new enemies that are like mini-Mini Gurdy's. And fuck him, too.

Oh, OH, also, from what I can tell, you can't get achievements in the challenge run. Darn! Mmm, plus, I forgot for ages you start off with two single-use item (tarot, pills etc.) slots now.

Also, properly finally, I've been using my controller. When I started I tried going dual stick, but it didn't quite do it for me, but left stick for movement and face buttons for shooting feels a lot more comfortable. I think that might just be habit from using the keyboard on the original, but hey ho.

Right, there are my very unorganised thoughts from my first two hours of play.

EDIT: NOT DONE YET! I forgot, cool items? Yeah! In a book room, there's a book with "Jump" on the cover in the style of the original case for Super Mario Bros. It allows you to leap across the map fast and has almost no cooldown. Unfortunately at that time I was already fast and had a good item, but it might be cool. No idea about it crossing gaps.

Talking about gaps, I think it's the depths have a patch that looks like a pit but is actually water you can walk on. There's a couple instances of this throughout I've noticed where it's hard to tell what's actually walkable terrain and what's just open nothingness.

While I'm on level lay-out, the time-based spikes are a nice introduction, along with the gravity turrets (and I think one of the bosses has a similar gravitational pull too).

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention (...) that there's been a clear rebalance on a few items. Notched Axe, for example, is no longer crap. It has a longer charge, but instead it can clear every destroyable block in a room. Much better.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 05-11-2014 at 01:28 AM.