Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chaos Reborn!

Chaos Reborn!

Anyone else looking forward to this hitting Steam Early Access next week? I haven't really played it much since the Kickstarter, since it's been so blessed difficult to find a game. Mind you, I'm hoping that'll change now with the influx of players from Steam.

I backed it on kickstarter, not actually played a game yet, just watched the Gollop Whallops (Julian playing random players).

The bit I really want is the campaign, as I loved Lords of Chaos even more than Chaos, but I will get into the multiplayer at some point.

Network Hub
    Can you arrange games? If so then I would be up for some RPS games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFUs...ature=youtu.be

Wow, the improvement since the prototype has been amazing. Getting really stoked!
    BobHound - EVE Online

Are Kickstarter backers going to get Steam early access keys?

I think so, yeah! The lowest tier you could back in on included: "Early access to development versions, alpha and beta. "
    BobHound - EVE Online

Well, my success with getting multiplayer games of stuff with RPS peeps has been variable, but I'd second jerseyspud's eagerness to get some mp of this up ons

I'd be up for it as well. Somehow it feels less intimidating to lose to people who are strangers, rather than random strangers.
    BobHound - EVE Online

I'm ashamed to say I haven't tried it yet, despite being an mid-tier backer and a veteran of about 1000+ games of the original Chaos. It was a tough call between spending my time on the early versions of this, or Elite Dangerous but I kinda got caught in the Elite hype and plumped for that.

What do people think? Have the new graphics and gameplay elements enhanced the gameplay, or have they taken away from the simple chess-like beauty of the original?

I never played the original, only Lords of Chaos, so I can't really compare them. I can say that the new game is bloody good though, based on when I last played the prototype.

Count me in for some multiplayer too.

Network Hub
    I prefer to play with people I can contact after and have a civilised discussion. I tried to play total war online and a few losses in I tried to talk to the people who beat me... Turns out that people on the internet aren't all as awesome as the people who frequent these forums.

I'd love to give this game a go with people who after the match could give each other pointers and be civil.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You can play the prototype for free now, it will be stopped on the 9th when backers get in. From the email I got, it will be $19.99 USD, 14.99, or 19.99€ with 15% off at launch.

So if it interests you, you might want to pop into the prototype now. I had trouble getting games but some people got in grand.

Network Hub
    Can anyone tell me if the current early access/beta has Single Player - or is it MP only?

Thanks!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The current prototype is multiplayer only and I believe it will be multiplayer only for the next while. This is the content of the email about the new things for the steam update.

The next update of Chaos Reborn will be the biggest and best ever. Expect the following:
    • Wizard animations
    • New Spell effects
    • Music - main theme and battle tracks which change according to law/chaos balance
    • New sound effects
    • New interface animations - including drawing cards
    • Environmental effects for law and chaos shifts
    • Profile screen showing your wizard and stats
    • Game record in profile screen
    • Level progression system (up to level 7)
    • in-game ability to upgrade account to wizard lord or wizard king backer levels
    • Noble and Royal creature skins for players who have backed at wizard lord level or higher
    • Wizard auras for players who have backed at wizard lord level or higher
    • Steam integration with your Chaos Reborn account

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    The current prototype is multiplayer only and I believe it will be multiplayer only for the next while. This is the content of the email about the new things for the steam update.
    Thanks, shame I might hold off until I can play offline.

The AI in the original (1984 or 85) version of Chaos was great for it's time, and made playing against the computer very entertaining. Nowadays of course it would be considered crude, but a big part of the strategy in Chaos was knowing how to manage your 'threat level' so that you didn't attract the attention of computer wizards, but yet didn't leave yourself completely defenceless either. The biggest failing (IMO) with the original was the way the AI behaved in the end game where often it would just run away until the match ended in a draw.

Got a 4 player asynchronous game up & running for anyone who wants to join. Game ID is 1669, password: rps

Not a huge fan of the levelling system put in. It really disadvantages you if you're pitted against higher level players. Players who have a few levels will be much more useful in the late game given that they have access to giants, hydras and dragons. Mostly I just want the gooey blob...
    BobHound - EVE Online

Looks right up my alley. I'm waiting on the single-player update, and then I'll probably take the plunge. Anybody else really excited to be getting more games like Mordheim/Chaos Reborn as I am?
    ~

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanban View Post
    Not a huge fan of the levelling system put in. It really disadvantages you if you're pitted against higher level players. Players who have a few levels will be much more useful in the late game given that they have access to giants, hydras and dragons. Mostly I just want the gooey blob...
    After playing a game where my dragon, then giant and then elephant were killed in one turn, by an elf and 2 dwarves. It doesn't help that much :P