Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar

Frozen Synapse League - Season 14

Sign-ups for Season 14 are now open!

I'm open to suggestions about which mode we should play. If we don't achieve some sort of consensus I'll default to Dark Extermination.

If you would like to take part please do three things:

1) Add yourself to this list. Vote for your preferred game mode while you're there. Let me know if there's any mode you'd rather not play.

2) PM your email address to me (optional, but it will be very useful if I need to give you a nudge). I will not disclose it to anyone else, except maybe WombatDeath or whoever takes over admin duties after me, but even then only with your permission. If you have previously PM'd your address to WombatDeath in an earlier season please consider sending it to me too.

3) Click here to go to the RPS forum settings and edit the 'Private Messaging' section so that you get an email and/or a popup when someone (e.g. me) sends you a PM.

Season 14 will begin on the Saturday 3rd of November and will last until the 18th (or thereabouts), so please don't sign up if you expect to be unavailable for that period. Rules might be slightly different from previous seasons, depending on the mode we decide on, but all will be explained in this thread before the season kicks off.

New and old players are all welcome! No experience required, and weaponry will be provided. Sign up!
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Anything more than 5 turns. Ahem.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Yes, thank you. Smart arse. :)

Better than being a dumbass, I always say. :)

They're not mutually exclusive. I have, by dint of long practice, mastered the art of being both simultaneously.

And I liked 5 turns :) More agressive game play. It was nice to give it an accidental try.

Having won the 2nd league, I humbly await the invitation to battle all the veterans in league 1. :)

Surprisingly i am in.
    Also: Dark Secure. With explosives and/or focus aim.

after a short pause I'm back here ready for more punishment

It's been a while and I really should be playing this game more!

Put me down for this, Dark Extermination is my preference although I'll be canny rusty ...

Network Hub
    I'm in - missed the sign-up notification. I think RPS may not be notifying me of new posts...
    Find me on Steam
    By day I work making the world's best budgeting software. Check it out!

Phew. I was starting to worry.

I'm out of my usual routine this week and I completely forgot today was Saturday. Just popped in to say I'll put the tables up later today. We have a couple of votes for Disputed, and one for specifically not Extermination, so Disputed it is. Two divisions of six players, pairs of matches, yadda yadda. Back soon...
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 03-11-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: correction: disputed, not secure

If we do two matches per pairing, the maps should be different. Because, you know, Disputed.

Hmm, that's a good point. I haven't played much disputed so I didn't realise the boxes would turn up in the same place every time. Okay, in that case: one big division! Everyone plays everyone once.
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 03-11-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Commence Operation: Season 14

Here are the tables for Season 14. It's your responsibility to issue challenges where you're listed as Player 1 in this list. Instructions will follow in the next post.

Game rules and league procedures

1) Each game must conform to the following settings:

Mode: Dark Disputed
    Turn limit: 12 turns
    Turn duration
    : five seconds per turn (i.e. 5000 milliseconds - this is the default setting)
    Visibility: vis at time zero
    Team strength: four men per player
    Mutators: at the challengers discretion
    Server: UK1

Any game that does not conform to these rules will be void and must be replayed. You may not reuse maps - a new map must be generated for each opponent. Please see the next post if you're not sure how to create a game with the correct settings, and post in this thread if you are in any doubt.

2) After creating each game on server UK1, the challenger must announce the challenge in this thread. Format: "[Player1] has challenged [Player2] in [game ID 1]".

Example: "ColOfNature has challenged rodeoclown in 123456".

3) After each game has been completed, Player 1 must report the result in this thread. Standard format: "[Victorious player] has defeated [defeated player] in game [game ID] with a score of [score]".

Example: "rodeoclown has defeated ColOfNature in game 123456 with a score of 150".

In the event of a draw, the format is "[P1] and [P2] have drawn in game [game ID]"

Example: "ColOfNature and Xune have drawn in game 123456"

I will update the spreadsheet with the result of each game. Scores will be as normal: 3 pts for a win, 1 for a draw, but tie-breakers will be on overall score reported by the game.

4) Challengers may start issuing their challenges from today (Saturday 03 November). All games must be completed by the end of Sunday 18 November.

5) We're all reasonable people, when pressed, so some flexibility will be applied. If you're going to be on holiday, or travelling to distant worlds, or otherwise restricted in your availability, please post in this thread and we will try to accommodate you as far as is reasonably practical.

6) Try to start your games in the first week and finish them early. Players leaving it to the last minute to issue a challenge or submit orders risk forfeiting the game. If any game is unfinished by the deadline I will declare both parties to be poopy-heads and award your points to whoever strikes me as most deserving, by whatever criteria I consider appropriate at the time.

7) Any circumstances not catered for in these rules will be handled according to some combination of common sense, consensus, iron-fisted authoritarianism and whimsy. Mostly the latter.

Finally, a polite reminder that although PMing your email address to me is optional, it will make organisation easier so please consider doing so if you haven't already.

The divisions and rules for season 15 will be arranged some time after the close of season 14.

Also, if I've missed anything important or anything isn't clear then post below, PM me or email me either at ColOfNature or RockPaperSynapse on gmail to let me know.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 03-11-2012 at 04:02 PM.

How to issue a challenge

1) Log in to server UK1.
    2) Click the 'Online' button at the top of the screen
    3) Click 'Create a game'
    4) Click the 'Advanced setup' button
    5) Click the 'Generate Disputed' button
    6) If you get a silly map, or if you don't have four men per side, repeat the previous step until you're happy.
    7) Click the 'Continue' button
    8) Ensure that the 'Game mode' is set to 'Disputed'
    9) Ensure that the 'Vis mode' is set to 'Vis at time zero'
    10) Ensure that the 'Turn limit' is set to 12 and the 'Turn length' to 5000, which are the defaults)
    11) Activate Mutators, if you like (although you'll only be able to do this if you own the Red DLC)
    12) Enter your opponent's username
    13) Enter 'RPS League' or something suitable so that your opponent knows it's for this league
    14) Click the 'Submit' button
    15) Take your first turn and note the challenge in this thread, using the format in the post directly above this one

As an aside: I actually find it easier to issue all my challenges before taking any turns; feel free to do the same, but please do take the turns as soon as all your challenges are done as it's a bit annoying to receive a challenge from someone who hasn't actually taken their first turn!
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 03-11-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Twelve turns, huzzah!

Because disputed doesn't easily generate symmetrical teams, I got as close as I could then added/deleted as necessary. Here are my challenges, all with DoubleKill enabled:
    • 627975 parpel
    • 627977 DeVadder
    • 627978 ColOfNature
    • 627980 BibBobr99
    • 627983 bonuswavepilot
    • 627984 Maetco

[landybrandy] has challenged [gotem] in [627987]
    [landybrandy] has challenged [Sunjumper] in [627989]
    [landybrandy] has challenged [CherryPhosphate] in [627990]
    [landybrandy] has challenged [rodeoclown] in [627992]