Obscure Node

AVG Software & Windows 8.1

Hi All,

Upgraded to the trial version of Windows 8.1 last night, and it kindly didn't tell me that AVG free edition wasn't compatible, so now all I've got is Windows Defender as AVG software.

1) Does anyone know of and can recommend a free AVG product that they know works with 8.1?

&

2) If you're thinking of upgrading to 8.1, beware as it takes forever and doesn't tell you what won't work afterwards until after it's installed - and then it doesn't tell you it lets you find out for yourself!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by VFRHawk View Post
    Hi All,

Upgraded to the trial version of Windows 8.1 last night, and it kindly didn't tell me that AVG free edition wasn't compatible, so now all I've got is Windows Defender as AVG software.

1) Does anyone know of and can recommend a free AVG product that they know works with 8.1?

&

2) If you're thinking of upgrading to 8.1, beware as it takes forever and doesn't tell you what won't work afterwards until after it's installed - and then it doesn't tell you it lets you find out for yourself!
    Is windows 8.1 officially out already?

1 - I can't say what works with 8.1 as i don't have it yet, but you should be fine using Windows Defender until either AVG gets updated or you find something that works. I use Bitdefender Free AV, but I only know that works on 8.0. I'd guess AVG, Avast, Bitdefender will all update to work on 8.1 pretty sharpish though - and most people say windows defender is good enough.

2 - Really? The upgrade from vista only took a few minutes and it did a pretty good job of telling you what would or wouldn't work. Surprised that wouldn't apply to 8.1

I'll have to check 8.1 out when i get a chance, as there are a few annoyances on win8 that could stand fixing... though i'm pissed off that i'll have to accept an ugly un-necessary start button in the process.

8.1 is a Preview Version. Of course it has some compatibility issues, that's part of the point of doing it. It allows MS and 3rd party developers to work out the kinks before it gets released.