Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've got 1,500 to spend on a new monitor

And what's left over can go on another GTX 690 to go with my current one for SLI gaming goodness.
    I want a 2560 x 1440 monitor that's the best for gaming. Doesn't have to have amazing viewing angles, a USB hub would be handy but not essential, neither is an SD slot. Must have height adjustable stand, no glass (can't abide those reflective panels) and a nice low response time. Though I could buy three for that price I only have room for one 27" panel.

I appreciate recommending a monitor is a tough one. IPS or PLS that's the question. The Samsung 9 Series are pretty extraordinary, like the S27B970D, but it has that ridiculous shiny glass panel, the argument being that it makes colours more vibrant. That may be the case but I don't want to see my ugly fizzog in the screen while playing Thief. It's also well within my budget so surely there's better out there - I just can't find it.

I don't want another Dell, I've had two and they've both gone into energy saving mode randomly while in use or blackout frequently, so my opinion of Dell monitors as that they all do this and therefore shit.

That cash is from a three year old employment tribunal of which I just got paid the compensatory and unpaid notice pay from a company I used to work for until the boss did a runner owning thousands of pounds. I therefore want to treat myself to SLI and 14k resolution gaming, which I consider the biggest leap in PC gaming tech for me in years.

Dell UltraSharp U2713HM might be what you want. It's IPS, 8ms response time, LED, comes with a load of inputs and has an USB hub. Here's a review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411736,00.asp

It goes for around 450 pounds, you can send the rest of the money to me ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Buy a 100-200 1920*1080 monitor spend the rest on salsa.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Dell UltraSharp U2713HM might be what you want. It's IPS, 8ms response time, LED, comes with a load of inputs and has an USB hub. Here's a review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411736,00.asp

It goes for around 450 pounds, you can send the rest of the money to me ;)
    Pretty much. I don't get the complaints about Energy saving etc. Those all are all software settings under windows.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Pretty much. I don't get the complaints about Energy saving etc. Those all are all software settings under windows.
    Not so for me. Both Dell monitors I've owned enter energy saving mode at POST before Windows comes on. My current monitor has seen three different graphics cards, all Nvidia. And two completely different systems - so it's the monitors and nothing else, or Dell just don't like Nvidia. So I don't want another Dell.

Can't quite figure out what's what here but the Samsung Series 9 S27B971D appears to be a revision of the S27B970D minus the glass panel according to some forums but Amazon say it has a glass panel and the monitor isn't even on Samsung's own products page to verify who's right.

Grab one of the Asus gaming monitors they are seriously good.
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Quote Originally Posted by soopytwist View Post
    Not so for me. Both Dell monitors I've owned enter energy saving mode at POST before Windows comes on. My current monitor has seen three different graphics cards, all Nvidia. And two completely different systems - so it's the monitors and nothing else, or Dell just don't like Nvidia. So I don't want another Dell.
    Allright. I've just never seen that behaviour and I've been around a few panels in the U series (the university has them by the hundreds).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    14k resolution gaming
    wat.

Also, don't bother with SLI, it's not worth it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...e-dell-monitor
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

I've been through all that Kadayi, long before this. Two completely different systems, cables, three different graphics cards and three O/S's all having the same issue with a Dell monitor? I don't think so. It's Dell monitors I tell you - they hate me.

Maybe the U monitors are better. My current one is a 2408WFP so it's quite old. The one before that was similar, a 2405FPW, again it's old so perhaps newer Dell monitors don't have that problem. The only reason I got the 2408WFP at the time was because I damaged my previous monitor so under normal circumstances I'd probably still have the 2405.

With regards to the Samsung S279B71D, yes it is indeed the S279B70D without the glass panel front. It's not exactly geared towards gamers having a high input lag of 28ms but then my current Dell is rated at around 64ms! and I've never noticed lag so on paper the Samsung S279B71D looks like a winner to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    wat.

I meant 1.4k, as in 1440. If that's the correct term.

So two 690's not worth it? I mean Crysis 3 runs flat out on maximum without a struggle but at 2560 x 1440 it might kick up a stink. I assumed two 690's would handle a screen like that much better, especially for next gen games coming up.

My only issue is the X-Fi sound card would be in the way of a second GPU so I would have to do some sort of work around. I only have one x1 PCIE slot on my motherboard so unless I can use a ribbon cable to position the X-Fi elsewhere I'm stuffed. Unless the X-Fi can be slotted into a x16 PCIE slot, between the two GPU's..?
    Last edited by soopytwist; 08-07-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    wat.

SLI is worth it, but not 4-way SLI (two 690s = 4 GK104s in SLI).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Unless the X-Fi can be slotted into a x16 PCIE slot, between the two GPU's..?
    x1 cards can be used in x16 slots fine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I meant 1.4k, as in 1440. If that's the correct term.

So two 690's not worth it? I mean Crysis 3 runs flat out on maximum without a struggle but at 2560 x 1440 it might kick up a stink. I assumed two 690's would handle a screen like that much better, especially for next gen games coming up.

My only issue is the X-Fi sound card would be in the way of a second GPU so I would have to do some sort of work around. I only have one x1 PCIE slot on my motherboard so unless I can use a ribbon cable to position the X-Fi elsewhere I'm stuffed. Unless the X-Fi can be slotted into a x16 PCIE slot, between the two GPU's..?
    Well honestly I'd wait to get a new video card since the next gen is around the corner. The monitor will last you well through the generation, but will the cards? Hard to say right now.

I'd at least get the monitor first and see how games run and then decide. You might be better off saving the money for whatever cards are coming down the line in a year or two based on the next gen consoles. While the console's GPUs themselves are equal to current cards on the market, the way the consoles use RAM is quite a bit different, which means a card with more RAM might be ideal. also remember PC games are pretty much never as well optimized as console games, which means it will take more PC specs to run a next gen game as smoothly as a console comparatively since PC games have to work on a wide range of hardware.

Also if you do decide to jump on the SLi now, make sure you have adequate cooling and power. Two 690s is a LOT of power and heat.
    Last edited by Hypernetic; 09-07-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks for the advice Hypernetic. I'm buying the Samsung S27B971D but I'll hold fire on the graphics card for the time being and seem how my system performs with the one 690 I currently have. If with the next gen games I notice it struggling then I'll get another 690 (might be slightly cheaper by then anyway).

On the power requirements I have a 1200W Silent Pro Gold PSU so that's more than enough and my Corsair Graphite case has had all the fans replaced with better ones and my CPU cooler is a Corsair H100 pulling hot air out of the case, so cooling shouldn't be an issue (except maybe on days like the ones we're having in the UK right now!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    x1 cards can be used in x16 slots fine.
    I wasn't sure about that so thanks for clearing that up. With two GPU's my X-Fi should comfortably fit between them then, though it would block some of the airflow to the upper GPU. Perhaps I should remove the chassis on the X-Fi to reduce it's profile?

I have a problem. The monitor came without an EU 3 pin power lead. I only have a US 2 pin lead. I do however have one of those plugs that you can connect 2 pin plugs into to convert it to a 3 pin, but its fused and the US lead isn't because it plugs into an AC/DC power brick, the input of which is 1.5 amps and output is 4.5 amps.

What do I do?

All sorted. Had to use an adapter plug.

Crysis 3 struggled at 2560 x 1400 with settings on max, hell it struggled with settings on High instead of Very High!
    Looks like I'm going to need that second GTX 690 after all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Go all in and get an Asus 4k monitor!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7051/c...0-display-3799
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7120/s...k-max-settings

But a bit out of reach in price.