Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arma 3-able PC for a low budget

Hello everyone, this is another post by someone completely oblivious looking for help building a PC. I've looked at some of the older posts, but I figured that I could make a new one since prices change, things go out of stock, etc.
    In August, I'm going to move to a bigger flat, meaning I could probably set up a tower, replacing my gaming laptop that's probably going to die on me sooner or later.
    Ideally, the thing would run Arma 2 and 3, as well as Planetside 2 on medium-highish settings. Ideally, it would also be on a really tight budget. This means ~600 (I have no idea if this is too low of a price point, as I said I'm a bit oblivious), preferrably less.
    I don't need it to be silent, my current laptop is so loud I can hear the fan (which always runs) through my headphones.

Any help is much appreciated!
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I'm going to disagree with that CPU choice right out the gate. The ARMA series put a heavy load on the CPU, I'd cut cash from elsewhere and bump it up to at least an i5.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Oh wow, that isn't a dollar sign at all is it? Confirmed for better processor, but it would still be good to know whether or not he needs monitor etc. My original suggestions were based on a budget of 600 USD.
    Last edited by Nim.Was.Taken; 03-07-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Monitor and other periphals are there, thanks for the suggestions so far. Would an i5-3470 be a sufficient CPU?

I think you'd rather go with one of the newer Haswell based i5s. They're not terribly exciting compared to Ivy Bridge, but they released a new socket for it and they are priced the same so you might as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116896

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    If you can spare the extra ~20€ (according to geizhals.de) I'd go with a i5-2500k. It has room to the top thanks to it's excellent OC capabilities.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nim.Was.Taken View Post
    I think you'd rather go with one of the newer Haswell based i5s. They're not terribly exciting compared to Ivy Bridge, but they released a new socket for it and they are priced the same so you might as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116896
    Ivy Bridge is still a little cheaper than Haswell, and the new socket doesn't matter (it'll only take Haswell and Broadwell, and Broadwell won't improve performance noticeably). And to get a Core i5 in anything resembling the 600€ budget, every little bit counts.

I'd say a Core i5-3350P is the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    If you can spare the extra ~20€ (according to geizhals.de) I'd go with a i5-2500k. It has room to the top thanks to it's excellent OC capabilities.
    That would require a more expensive motherboard as well, so it would blow a huge hole in the budget.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    That would require a more expensive motherboard as well, so it would blow a huge hole in the budget.
    Z77 Gigabyte DS3H for ~85€ too expensive? And even without OC it's powerful enough for the games described (I have a stock clocked 2500k + GTX 670 and play the mentioned games without issues).

Also Labbes: I've got a Gigabyte Z77 D3H flying around that has bent pins in it's CPU socket. I've been hesitant of sending it in for RMA as they tend to blame it on user error and not repair it. It's only a few pins though and could be fixed with precision tools or by paying a watch maker or similar. If you want to risk it I could ship it to you once I'm back in Germany (August).
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 03-07-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Z77 Gigabyte DS3H for ~85€ too expensive? And even without OC it's powerful enough for the games described (I have a stock clocked 2500k + GTX 670 and play the mentioned games without issues).
    Yes, with a €600 budget that is probably too expensive. With a Core i5-3350P you can pick a B75 board in the €50-60 range. Besides, for overclocking you'd also need to factor in a CPU cooler, since the stock one won't do.

I suggest a AMD quad core (if its the older generation) or an 8 core (if its the newer one). Theyre all cheap.

Also, I made a gaming shuttle PC, there is a thread started by me in the tech help thing somewhere.. I only paid 600€, including a screen (but I did have a hard drive at hand, so theres that)

Also, the ATI HD68xx series are pretty awesome for cheap, for GPUs.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

The HD 6800 series was good at the time, but it's outdated and not worth it today (plus it's scarce at retail).

The Phenom II x4 were also good at the time, but are similarly somewhat outdated today. The 8-core FX CPUs are not worth it for gaming. An FX-6300 (6 cores) is an option if you can't quite afford a Core i5.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If that's a Euros sign - you have more than enough for a decent PC but do you need a Windows license?

I could probably do it for 450(which is about 500EU?)+Windows

I...think I can make do without a Windows license.

Don't know your country, but here's a suitable system fitting the budget. Not having to buy Windows makes a big difference.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (138.69 @ Dabs)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (45.55 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (44.29 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (43.19 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (147.96 @ Dabs)
    Case: Zalman Z5 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case (38.99 @ Novatech)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (37.97 @ Dabs)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (13.15 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: 509.79
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-04 18:13 BST+0100)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you wanted to save some cash, you could look at the AMD FX6300 and a suitable (970 chipset) mobo - the CPU will be under 100 and a decent board lands under 60 so that's barely more than the cost of a decent Intel CPU alone.

Might just leave enough cash to get an SSD for your system drive - which would be a MUCH MUCH better use of the money than the Intel bits IMO

Horses for courses tho.

An SSD is an absolute waste of money in this situation, since it will not affect performance in these games. An SSD is a great upgrade when you have the money for it, but you have to get the basics in order first. And an FX-6300 would have to be overclocked a lot to approach a Core i5, and that would necessitate a more expensive motherboard as well as a good CPU cooler.

Is that the non-TI GTX660? Isn't that a bit crap?

Not really. It's faster than the 7850 but slower than the 7870. If anything is crap, it's the GTX 660 Ti. Its performance is unreliable (in some cases it's as fast as a 670, in others it's no faster than the 660), and it has been superseded by the GTX 760 which is faster and cheaper.

Anyway, it's hard to cram a better GPU into a €600-ish budget along with a Core i5.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I suggest a AMD quad core (if its the older generation) or an 8 core (if its the newer one). Theyre all cheap.
    I wouldn't, AMD CPUs tend to be inferior to Intel ones unless the app makes excellent use of all the cores. The ARMA series, even in ARMA3, still doesn't do a good job of that. They're all cheap, but they're not the best, better to spend a few extra pennies for more power.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    And an FX-6300 would have to be overclocked a lot to approach a Core i5,
    You're comparing apples and oranges - if the 6300 will play the game he wants to play then it's good enough for this PC.

An i5 is nowhere near an i7 by the same measure - apples and oranges.

I'd say having an SSD would be a better 'all round performance improvement' than having an i5 over an 6300 - unless all you intend to do is run benchmarks, perhaps...

But the OP can make-up their own mind without you comparing things which don't actually matter - compare things to the brief, not each other.