Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    I think a search bar appears, but all I do is press the letter while on the metro dashboard and it does exactly what you described.
    in any case, the search bar is not what I'm referring to.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    It provides exactly the same functionality though.

It provides exactly the same functionality though.
    no, that actually takes more time.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    No it doesn't...

No it doesn't...
    you don't know what I'm talking about. I looked a bit on youtube but couldn't find a demo of what I'm referring to, so I guess you will just have to disagree with me.

Anyway, if you don't know that there are better ways to use a UI, stick with Win8.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    You can type a few more characters of the title and it will get you there immediately. it seems that you are the one grasping at straws here.
    Nope, you are. Nobody in their right mind would argue that the keyboard is the fastest way to do things. We developed GUIs for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    Metro UI and it's support for the scroll wheel is not consistent, this has been demonstrated by quite a few people over the past few months.
    Nope, pretty consistent here. During the release previews there were issues with the scroll wheel but the biggest complaint people seem to have about the scroll wheel in Metro has nothing to do with the scroll wheel and everything to do with Metro apps scrolling left and right, not up and down.

Obscure Node
    What an intense debate i'm still not sold at Windows 8 yet

Quote Originally Posted by digirob10 View Post
    What an intense debate i'm still not sold at Windows 8 yet
    Then don't get it, nobody's forcing you to get it. But if you think Microsoft will drop Metro/Modern/whatever for Windows 9, guess again.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Nope, you are. Nobody in their right mind would argue that the keyboard is the fastest way to do things. We developed GUIs for a reason.
    are you kidding me?! Dragging with a mouse is FASTER than a single page down button press? Scrolling to the 300th item on a long list, is faster than typing the first two letters on a keyboard??

I am not going to even bother replying to you on this matter. Do your homework or we're done here.
    Steam profile

I use the keyboard to launch most programs and find most commonly used files...

"[Win], not, [return]" is a faster way of opening Notepad/sticky notes than minimising windows and moving my mouse to a shortcut.

Obscure Node
    Yes - keyboard is almost always much faster - just a steeper, non-intuitive learning curve. This is why we still have keyboard shortcuts.

mashakos abbreviates Microsoft to M$ and insists that quality is entirely dependent on what coding language you use.

Why are you even trying to argue with him?
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Quote Originally Posted by kinglog View Post
    Yes - keyboard is almost always much faster - just a steeper, non-intuitive learning curve. This is why we still have keyboard shortcuts.
    Except for a lot of things we don't. Some things work fine from a command line, lots of other things don't. It's easier to hit CTRL+C than right click and hit Copy, but try selecting the 5th to 8th word in the 28th line of your document with a mouse and a keyboard and tell me which one is faster.

Obscure Node
    I would probably use the keyboard for that, but if I wanted to select the 5th, 7th, and 9th words mouse would be faster. I was responding to the "nobody in their right mind would argue keyboard is faster" rather than claiming keyboards uber alles. Happy to use both.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglog View Post
    I would probably use the keyboard for that, but if I wanted to select the 5th, 7th, and 9th words mouse would be faster. I was responding to the "nobody in their right mind would argue keyboard is faster" rather than claiming keyboards uber alles. Happy to use both.
    Oh shit, just realised I didn't add "always" to that post like I did with my other one on page 7.

My point was supposed to be that the keyboard may be faster at some things but the mouse is a lot faster at others. There's no way for example that I'd want to browse this web page with a keyboard for example, or tab through a long list that I can't search through. Mashakos just keeps changing his example to try to suit his own nonsense.

Yeah, he does that. And when you call him out on his bullshit he doesn't respond.

On the mouse/keyboard thing: They both have their strengths. Depending on how quick you are with a keyboard and what the default location of your hands is, a keyboard can be a real timesaver. If you're a programmer or writer and your hands are on the keyboard anyway, you can select a few words on a line faster with the keyboard than with the mouse. I tend to keep my hands on the keyboard, so I'm very fast with it.
    If you tend to keep your hand on the mouse, that will probably make the mouse faster for you.

To answer the OP.

I'm happy with Win7 on my rig. However, I was intrigued by Win8 so I installed it on my kids laptop (hehe!) to see how they got on with it and have a dabble myself.

They took to it like ducks to water with absolutely no moaning. They could get it to sit up and beg within half an hour. Anything they did before (in win7) they could do now and then some. They're 9 and 11 by the way.
    The only problem encountered was when we shoved a DVD in to shut them up. No out of the box support. We quickly downloaded VLC and hey presto! They later worked out how to install WMC for freemans themselves.

I downloaded a couple of older games of Steam to see how it went and it's all tickety-boo. Great to use...sorry Abe.

I'll be upgrading asap. hth.

Right, so if I'm planning on getting a wholly new machine later this year that will have an Intel processor and an nVidia GPU that will be primarily for gaming but also some 3D modelling, on a single monitor, am I better off getting Windows 8 or sticking with 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Right, so if I'm planning on getting a wholly new machine later this year that will have an Intel processor and an nVidia GPU that will be primarily for gaming but also some 3D modelling, on a single monitor, am I better off getting Windows 8 or sticking with 7?
    Honestly, it doesn't matter. The desktop mode is the same, the only real difference is that the Start menu is now a full screen. Once you're on the desktop it's just a faster Windows 7. If you're that worried you can stay with 7, but if not you can get 8. It took me maybe a day to adapt.

The only suggestion I have is to pin Control Panel to the Start screen.

Get Windows 8, it's cheap right now, gaming performance is at least as good as 7. Use savings on better RAM or something.