Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Network Hub
    So far, I'm enjoying Windows 8.. I think the occasional lags in my laptop when i was still using Win 7 are now gone. I love the UI and it made my laptop faster and more responsive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I have a Lumia 710 and what is this
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

not the best for a multi monitor set up, crap pops up all over the place.

but gotta say nice n cheap n very smooth

Network Hub
    As far as I can tell it has nothing extra that I want, and a load of things I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by larrylongbottom View Post
    not the best for a multi monitor set up, crap pops up all over the place.

but gotta say nice n cheap n very smooth
    Not sure if this was innuendo was intended. This sounds like a review someone would give for a pack of condoms down at the drug store.

Regardless, I don't see Windows 8 being an option for high performance machines. I get that Microsoft is trying to appeal to this business crowd that prefers ease of use and no-nonsense interfaces, but what does that do for games? I can't see myself playing a game on a touchscreen or writing something on a tablet. I have enough difficulty playing my NEO-GEO games on an emulator using my iPhone. Despite having the ability to switch to a more familiar desktop with just a few clicks, why wouldn't I just stick with Windows 7? How could I benefit from Windows 8? Doesn't seem necessary.

Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7.
    I particularly notice it running audio production bits n bobs but games will benefit as well.

You asked a question in your thread's title but have already made the decision.

Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Activated Node
    Got a free key from work (winner!), had it on my main rig since launch time, Win 8 is just ... so goddamn fast. Boot time is just crazy, metro is total garbage though, especially if I switch my screens into a surround setup to play a game, it just breaks completely. But at least you can fix it so you never have to see it, and still have a start button, thanks classic start button! So you basically have windows 8 speed with windows 7 UI, awesome. I personally haven't even seen the metro interface since about a week after installing it, so I don't know what anyone is complaining about, I mean it's a PC, if you don't like how something works, you just goddamn change it.

Metro is great as a touch interface. I like it in Windows Phone (though I'm an Android user myself). I used to scoff at the idea of touching a laptop screen (I'm pretty OCD about display-smudging), but after I played with an Asus Vivobook, I'm a fan. I found it easy and straightforward to use, and the desktop is still right there if you want to get into more a traditional workflow.

Just built a new PC, and took the Windows 8 plunge. I think it's great, to be honest (although some of that will be down to having a much faster machine - I haven't compared it like for like on the same hardware).

I think it looks nicer and is easier to use in many ways (new copy and paste manager, new task manager). I don't miss the start menu - I just hit the Windows key, type the first few letters of whatever I'm looking for and hit enter. That aside, I never even see the start screen/metro interface. I go to the desktop as soon as I've booted, and don't leave it. What's not to like?
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Once you get used to it, it's pretty cool. My advice to you is to learn all the keyboard shortcuts. The quick windows key search is awesome with the toggles for programs and settings etc.

WARNING : DO NOT USE SKYPE THAT COMES WITH WINDOWS 8, IT IS A BUGGY MESS OF CRAP. Uninstall it and install the regular version.

I think that I'm gonna stay on Win7 , it's still the best of all. For my opinion, I don't like the new style. It looks like a tablet...
    Well, I can't change minds of people who want it.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I have windows 8, I boot straight into the desktop view and thus never ever see the metro interface.

I've also installed a startbar thing so functionality is back to normal, it's basically like a faster windows 7 now with a few extra nice features in the file explorer side of things.

Activated Node
    So what exactly is the problem with Windows 8 and triple-monitor setups? I'm happily running 7 atm, but was planning a new build in a couple months and considering moving to 8. Should I avoid it and stick with 7?

I give it a solid 'nay'. I use my PC for gaming. While a lot of others will tend to gripe about a 'useless' slide system and metro ui, my issue is with compatibility. Pretty much out of the numerous games I play, whether they will run on Windows 8 with or without tweaking is a crapshoot. I'm not sure if this has improved with patches and the like, but until a few weeks after the first service pack comes out, I will wait and see.

I don't care about the new ui, thankfully there are 3rd party programs out there that install in a cinch and make the look and feel of Windows 7 on Windows 8 very convincing.

I should also note that despite the compatibility issues, I had time to give this OS a shot and am convinced that a few things ran faster on Windows 8 than on Windows 7 (which I had a hard time imagining was possible). At any rate, the issues I had with programs (mostly games) not running with or without hair-pulling procedural steps to get them to work was a game-breaker for me. I say again: nay.

Activated Node
    Could you tell me some of the games you had problems with? I thought 8 had the same compatibility as 7.

Ragnar, Game Maker games don't run in Win8 so you can miss out on some really great stuff (Hotline Miami).

Well that is one of the reasons I am sticking with 7.

I have no idea about other Game Maker games, but Hotline Miami definitely does work, no need to change compatibility settings either.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karuji View Post
    Ragnar, Game Maker games don't run in Win8 so you can miss out on some really great stuff (Hotline Miami). Well that is one of the reasons I am sticking with 7.
    Don't know who told you that, but it's absolute rubbish. HLM works fine under Win8 and always did. GM8 and GM Studio games all work fine.

The only GM games that don't work well under the newer Windows are the GM6 games which had a buggy runner, but they won't work under Vista, Win7 or Win8.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

soldant, I've had a couple of people have an issue with one of the games I am working on with win8. I also remember cactus said something similar at gdc.