Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    It's (currently) cheap and does what Win7 does.
    UI takes getting used to because it is new.
    Last edited by bad guy; 23-12-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bad guy View Post
    It's (currently) cheap and does what Win7 does.
    UI takes getting used to because it is new.
    So why pay for something that does nothing new and is more cumbersome to navigate?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnac View Post
    So why pay for something that does nothing new and is more cumbersome to navigate?
    Improves boot times and is slightly more optimized. A few other little improvements. If they had just added an option to stick with Win 7 UI it would have been a no-brainer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    For the price I paid it's quite nice, and will happily stick with it.

Not everyone is using Win7. If you are still using WinXP it does quite a few new things.

I don't know about it being more cumbersome to navigate after you have gotten used to it.
    Starting games/browser and modifying a file here and there shouldn't be too hard.
    Last edited by bad guy; 28-12-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Cumbersome? No problem with it at all, it takes getting used too but it's smooth sailing so far. Booting your PC from off to Windows in 10 seconds is also a nice feature.

People seem to be disliking the metro part but I think it's quite handy to store all your game icons, no more cluttered desktop.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Cumbersome? No problem with it at all, it takes getting used too but it's smooth sailing so far. Booting your PC from off to Windows in 10 seconds is also a nice feature.

People seem to be disliking the metro part but I think it's quite handy to store all your game icons, no more cluttered desktop.
    There are better ways to organise games than Metro UI...
    Steam Big Picture Mode
    Gamebrowser II for Media Center

there are a bunch of problems with being a Win8 early adopter:
    Free/open source codec packs are back to being buggy piles of garbage with their Win8 releases after they had become almost perfect in the past two years on Win7.

Tons of great windows utilities written by small hobbyists for free don't work in Win8

No media center, no DVD playback.

M$ bribes you with a "free" Media Center coupon until the end of this month. Even if you do get it, half the extensions and plugins that worked perfectly fine on Vista and Win7 now crash or straight up don't start.

These are off the top of my head. I'm sure future apps will start showing bugs that don't occur on Win7/Vista.

While Windows 8 breaks quite a few things, it offers nothing new to the desktop PC user.
    Windows Vista brought us a robust desktop search engine "search from the start menu", hardware accelerated UI with Double Buffering (envious of mac OSX users having that since 2001!), and Media Center. Windows 7 tweaked a few things in Vista, gave us better performance and a few useability improvements, my favourite being Win+direction keys and adding recent files to every app listed in the start menu shortcut list.

What does Windows 8 offer me, the home or professional desktop PC user?
    A tiled UI? I can download my own thank you very much, developed by competent programmers not a committee of talking heads.
    Nonsensical "gestures" with the mouse, the same mouse that is constantly moving at all times? I give that a Ctrl+W
    An app store? Seriously? I'm not touching that thing with a ten foot pole.
    Xbox Videos? Bitch Please.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Big Picture mode requires me to open steam and select Big Picture mode and doesn't list all of my games, I'm also not interested in couch gaming or using Media Center.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Big Picture mode requires me to open steam and select Big Picture mode and doesn't list all of my games,
    no it doesn't, google "steam big picture mode shortcut"

I'm also not interested in couch gaming or using Media Center.
    even so, big picture mode and media center are better UIs than Metro. Can you scroll through Metro tiles using a keyboard, gamepad or remote control? Nope, mouse is your only option. Can you set a tile to open a selection menu of a game and all it's mods? Can you set a tile to run a macro when it is clicked? Less control inputs, lack of customisation of tile functionality, and a cumbersome touch interface adapted to the desktop.
    Steam profile

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    no it doesn't, google "steam big picture mode shortcut"

even so, big picture mode and media center are better UIs than Metro. Can you scroll through Metro tiles using a keyboard, gamepad or remote control? Nope, mouse is your only option. Can you set a tile to open a selection menu of a game and all it's mods? Can you set a tile to run a macro when it is clicked? Less control inputs, lack of customisation of tile functionality, and a cumbersome touch interface adapted to the desktop.
    Can you scroll through Metro tiles using a keyboard, gamepad or remote control?
    Since when was my post about about coach navigating? I am sitting in front my monitor and keyboard, why on earth would I go through the trouble of plugging in my gamepad or use a remote control just to select a shortcut. Current situation is go with cursor to lower left corner, select icon, bam! and the game is running.

Can you set a tile to open a selection menu of a game and all it's mods?
    I just want a screen with my icons, since when did this became something about you want it to be?

Can you set a tile to run a macro when it is clicked? Less control inputs, lack of customisation of tile functionality, and a cumbersome touch interface adapted to the desktop.

I don't need those things and again it seems those are things you want, not me. ;p

Can you scroll through Metro tiles using a keyboard, gamepad or remote control?
    Since when was my post about about coach navigating? I am sitting in front my monitor and keyboard, why on earth would I go through the trouble of plugging in my gamepad or use a remote control just to select a shortcut. Current situation is go with cursor to lower left corner, select icon, bam! and the game is running.
    browsing through a list using directional keys and page up / page down is faster with a keyboard than a mouse. Guess what? You can't use a keyboard in Metro. If you want to start a game that uses a gamepad, it's more convenient to just pick up the game pad browse to the game and start it than mouse over then quickly pick up your gamepad to start playing.

Can you set a tile to open a selection menu of a game and all it's mods?
    I just want a screen with my icons, since when did this became something about you want it to be?

Can you set a tile to run a macro when it is clicked? Less control inputs, lack of customisation of tile functionality, and a cumbersome touch interface adapted to the desktop.

I don't need those things and again it seems those are things you want, not me. ;p
    No mods, or custom settings? you have a very narrow gaming experience. Too bad.
    In any case, once you do want those things, guess what? You will download some utilities to get them. So now you have the bloated Metro UI on top of third party utilities. Congratulations!
    Steam profile

Can you explain what you mean exactly with mods and custom settings? If you mean stuff like Skyrim mods, I have quite a lot of them but they don't require to be activated through something every time I start the game.

Also Metro works just fine with a keyboard.

This is my metro from a while back, it comes up whenever I press the windowskey, I move the cursor of my mouse in a matter of seconds to the desired game and the game starts. I don't see the problem here.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 29-12-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Ravelle: ignore mashakos, he just has a big issue with Win8 and can't consider any possibilities outside of his HTPC domain. The more you argue with him the more he comes up with pointless arguments which aren't even remotely important.

Quote Originally Posted by mashakaos
    browsing through a list using directional keys and page up / page down is faster with a keyboard than a mouse. Guess what? You can't use a keyboard in Metro
    Firstly, browsing through a list with a mouse is MUCH faster than using a keyboard. Secondly, you can navigate tiles with the keyboard. I can even navigate inside Metro apps with my keyboard if I want to, but it's so inferior to using a mouse that you'd be mad to try it.

If you don't like Metro UI that's fine, I don't use most of the Metro apps on my desktop and like Ravelle just treat it as a kind of desktop. But at least stop deliberately misrepresenting things by saying things like "you can't even use a keyboard in Metro OOOOOMG."

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Firstly, browsing through a list with a mouse is MUCH faster than using a keyboard.
    Dragging with a mouse for 5 minutes is faster than pressing L on a keyboard to get to the 350th entry starting with L. Uh huh.
    Fail.

Secondly, you can navigate tiles with the keyboard. I can even navigate inside Metro apps with my keyboard if I want to, but it's so inferior to using a mouse that you'd be mad to try it.
    I doubt it's as seamless as you make it out to be when scrolling through panes requires me to drag with the mouse rather than, you know, the obvious scroll wheel.
    Steam profile

This is my metro from a while back, it comes up whenever I press the windowskey, I move the cursor of my mouse in a matter of seconds to the desired game and the game starts. I don't see the problem here.
    lol, when you have like 15 items even DOS is a great UI.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Dragging with a mouse for 5 minutes is faster than pressing L on a keyboard to get to the 350th entry starting with L. Uh huh.
    Fail.
    So what, ignoring the fact that you can't just click L or even after pressing L have to scroll through items you don't want to get to what you do want? Really? The keyboard can be faster for some things, but you're grasping at straws here.

I doubt it's as seamless as you make it out to be when scrolling through panes requires me to drag with the mouse rather than, you know, the obvious scroll wheel.
    My scroll wheel works fine in Metro, you must be doing something wrong.

So what, ignoring the fact that you can't just click L or even after pressing L have to scroll through items you don't want to get to what you do want? Really? The keyboard can be faster for some things, but you're grasping at straws here.
    You can type a few more characters of the title and it will get you there immediately. it seems that you are the one grasping at straws here.

My scroll wheel works fine in Metro, you must be doing something wrong.
    Metro UI and it's support for the scroll wheel is not consistent, this has been demonstrated by quite a few people over the past few months.
    Steam profile

You can type a few more characters of the title and it will get you there immediately. it seems that you are the one grasping at straws here.
    This is how it works in Metro, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    This is how it works in Metro, too.
    are you referring to the search bar?
    Steam profile

I think a search bar appears, but all I do is press the letter while on the metro dashboard and it does exactly what you described.