Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ok, right. Sorta with you I think.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    noteworthy for the OP because the game is a story driven rpg that has been hyped as GOTY, near perfect, one of the defining games of this generation, blah, blah. And those who bought into the enthusiast press nonsense would have expected more than 'save princess from Darth Bowser with your unstoppable magics'?

@rob: :-)
    People listen to hype still?

Oh man.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Well obviously intellectual titans like you and I don't, but a lot of people do, yes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caljohnston View Post
    Well obviously intellectual titans like you and I don't, but a lot of people do, yes.
    I propose we mock them until they know better.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I don't thing that aspect of the game has been particularily hyped, the writing and charachters are criticised in places like Yahtzee's ZP and the review in Edge magazine, and otherwise the press was right to praise the game since it's mostly ace.

The thing on my mind now is that Corvo works for a group called the Loyalists, e.g. proponents of the dynasty the Empress was part of. But apparently the monararch was the figurehead who gave legitimity to this entire system of opression we get to witness in the game. So perhaps Corvo is on the wrong side right of the bat. And princess Emily is just a child so the actual governement would be controlled by regents... like perhaps the inbred lord Pendleton? Also how the assasins in the beginning used the same kind of magic that the Outisider later gave to Corvo makes me think something still might not be as it seems.
    I gotta stop reading this thread, I don't want you guys to spoil me :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I didn't think there was anything wrong with the writing, it was perfectly fine. Criticising Dishonored for its story seems odd to me. The story in Dishonored is the story you tell, the one you write with your actions.
    That worked for me in DXHR, I don't think Dishonoured did it anywhere near as well. Dishonoured may have better, more open level design, but both games follow a similar philosophy in letting you choose your character's behaviour and reactions to his circumstances.

Where DXHR succeeds is in building a story thats so strongly centred around the theme of your decisions as a player. It's hardly an amazing work of art, but it has more depth to it than most video game stories. It made me think about my motivations, made me want to justify myself to other characters, rather than trying to gloss over the conflict between hero and mass murderer that a lot of game stories suffer from. It connect the player story of what I did during the mission with the written plot of the game.

Dishonoured doesn't do that. The story all feels very hands-off, sequences to sit through and be faintly bored by while waiting for the next level. Because the story fails to engage me, fails to have any relation to me being a supernatural assassin, the story and the game feel like separate entities. While the last level does acknowledge your behaviour, it was more of an overblown caricature than a considered response.

Weird! That's how I felt with Deus Ex:HR. Pretty much to the tee. Which I guess says more about taste than it does either game.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Weird! That's how I felt with Deus Ex:HR. Pretty much to the tee. Which I guess says more about taste than it does either game.
    I'd of said the writing was mostly strong in DEHR, but plotting was weak.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDigritz View Post
    Eh? Well, it clearly wasn't that obvious. I was playing with the markers off.. maybe i'm just shit at the game - but this is where a game which strives to create realistic scenarios can fall down...

I played with the markers off and fucks knows where a 'safe spot' was. I took him right next to the 'loading area' door and warped up to part of a roof and stuck him there. I still failed it but nevermind because the woman didn't seem to bothered about it.

Anyway I'm really struggling to play it. I'm on the 3rd or 4th mission and I haven't played for a week. Don't really like the superpowers bar the teleport. The x-ray vision makes that stupid noise every time you use it. I don't really feel for any of the story. Infact It would probably been more interesting at the start to get the messages from the other cities instead of delivering the thing.

Then its *Spoiler* Queen or Princess? dies, child snatched, framed, prison, superpower dream alert, rebel. *end spoiler* in a space of an hour? too much too soon. It takes me an hour to put my socks on in the morning.

And my biggest gripe? Please tell me there will be missions played in the dark? I'm supposed to be a sneaky stealth assassin. Board daylight? it really breaks my immersive experience.

Obscure Node
    I cant get myself to like Dishonored, the gameplay seem fun, and the graphics look good, but game is just shallow, A missed opportunity in some ways. It could have been so much more. And I know I sound like I have no basis in what I am saying, but its just a feeling I get from the game.

Network Hub
    Again, as I've said before, this Penny Arcade comic summed up my feelings about the game's story:

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/10/10

It seems that the thing that immediately comes to mind in the face of this is Arcanum by the dearly departed Troika Games. From the game's pre-release story trailers they make a big deal out of this world powered by oil from whale fat, yet it has little bearing on the actual narrative and its effects on society aren't made totally clear ("Trans" may as well have been regular 'ol coal and steam power and narratively speaking nothing would have been lost), whereas with Arcanum, the proliferation of technology in that world brought about a whole bunch of events that have a massive impact on the narrative: The power of magic in the world waned, all but the most powerful dwarven and elven enclaves were displaced to make way for railways, and pollution plagues the metropolis.

Activated Node
    I know the "it's too short" horse has been flogged, flayed and disembowelled but Dishonoured would really benefit from 5-6 more missions, most of them introductory. It would then be comparable in length to the first 2 Thief games and Deus Ex.

I'm aware of the arguments about playing it slowly on very hard with all the aids off (which is exactly what I did) but the game is still too short. What the op says could have remedied this.
    Last edited by popej; 30-10-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    From the game's pre-release story trailers they make a big deal out of this world powered by oil from whale fat, yet it has little bearing on the actual narrative and its effects on society aren't made totally clear ("Trans" may as well have been regular 'ol coal and steam power and narratively speaking nothing would have been lost)
    I believe the powers of Assassins are suggested to be induced by the whale oil, but I agree completely. The setting drastically outgrows the game. Even the technological advancements weren't delivered; you see rails on some streets, but you see an actual train only once, and a car only once... and it's stationary. But most of the time it might just as well be victorian era London as far as visuals and setting goes.

Banned
    I think the narrative story was serviceable, but it didn't really offer any major surprises. I thought the voice acting was decent overall, however I didn't really feel certain key characters came alive that much. Both Havelock and Callista were pretty bland, and they needed to make much more of the Prince Regent early on in my view. I never really identified him as my enemy (despite his portrait seemingly being everywhere). They really needed him to be on the radio broadcasting pontificating to the citizenry ala Breen, so you could develop a real contempt for the man as you worked your way ever closer two him. I think that absence was in itself a bit of a lost opportunity.

I'd also say in terms of setting the game suffered from a lack of granularity. Things like the golden cat poster being absolutely everywhere and often in the most inappropriate places (as well as the aforementioned 'painting of the regent' ) really began to grate after a while. I'd rather have near empty rooms, than walk into what's supposed to be someones house and find that apparently before dying they decided to plaster the walls with the same 6 advertising posters for the only goods that are seemingly available in the empire (oh and whores). Same disconnect of 'why is this here exactly?' that pulled me out of Bioshock tbh. On the positives I at least finished Dishonored, same can't be said for Bioshock.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 30-10-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Even the mighty Yahtzee thinks there is something wrong with the narrative of Dishonoured
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ilds-Character

Why can't you tell Pendleton that his brothers are not actually dead, they just... changed their occupation? It's those kind of things...

@ Kadayi

Good point on the the Regent, it's cliche to compare game design and storytelling to Half life 2, but its cliche for a reason; Valve really know how to wrangle a story into the constraints of a game format.

Also, I thought Piero's VA was the worst. He was just... weirdly... slow. For no... reason. He also had no emotion in his voice at all. I'd say the only character I liked for acting was Granny Rags.

Still thought it was the best game of the year by miles though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outright Villainy View Post
    Valve really know how to wrangle a story into the constraints of a game format.
    Yeah; have player stand and listen while NPCs spout out exposition for minutes at a time. That's some innovative storytelling right there.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Yeah; have player stand and listen while NPCs spout out exposition for minutes at a time. That's some innovative storytelling right there.
    What Valve game is that, precisely?

People do say some funny, funny things.

Quote Originally Posted by popej View Post
    I know the "it's too short" horse has been flogged, flayed and disembowelled but Dishonoured would really benefit from 5-6 more missions, most of them introductory. It would then be comparable in length to the first 2 Thief games and Deus Ex.

I'm aware of the arguments about playing it slowly on very hard with all the aids off (which is exactly what I did) but the game is still too short. What the op says could have remedied this.
    Dude it took me 22 hours to beat the game on normal. The game adapts perfectly fine to your playstyle, so if you Call of Duty it and just rush for that marker (which is the 1st thing I turned OFF because fuck that shit) then the game is gonna be very short.
    Last edited by ado; 31-10-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    What Valve game is that, precisely?

People do say some funny, funny things.
    I don't see whats so funny about that. He either doesn't know what exposition is or has never played a Valve game. Poor guy :/
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.