Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    What Valve game is that, precisely?

People do say some funny, funny things.
    Of all the fanboy denials, really? Half Life 2? Kleiner's Lab? Black Mesa East? Should I look it up on YouTube for you?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    What Valve game is that, precisely?

People do say some funny, funny things.
    EP1 opening. It's almost two minutes of Alyx this and Alyx that while you can't fo a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    For me, good writing is good writing is good writing. I don't really care how it's delivered so long as it makes me interested. I can watch cut-scenes, read journals, listen to conversations/audio logs, have it conveyed though the personality of an NPC, whatever, if the content is good then I don't care how I get it, I'm just glad that I am.

For me a lot of the problems in games arise from the gameplay not fitting the exposition rather than the other way round to be honest. The usual complaint is that the narrative detracts from the "game", "I want a game, not a story" etc, but the games we play have barely evolved in terms of what you do-shoot people, jump on things, drive cars, talk to people, direct little men around. In isolation most games feel to me like they did about 15 years ago merely in terms of how they play. New genres, such as we hoped would be heralded by the likes of Bloodlines, have not really been forthcoming at all.

It's the context around why you do things and how this is realised that has struck me this year in my personal gaming. I've played SR3, Bioshock, Psychonauts, Trine, the Witcher 2, XCOM all for the first time this year and it's their attempt to communicate ideas which has really been what's struck me about them rather than their bare mechanics. Or rather, how well this communication has helped to turn the gameplay into far more than the sum of it's parts. It doesn't have to be communicated through graphics either, any element of gameplay can be used for it, but without those ideas they would be very boring.

I have always played games to see my fantasies realised, rather for pure gamey fun, and in that sense things are very healthy in gaming just now as far as I'm concerned, and as a medium for this it's unmatched.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    It's the context around why you do things and how this is realised that has struck me this year in my personal gaming. I've played SR3, Bioshock, Psychonauts, Trine, the Witcher 2, XCOM all for the first time this year and it's their attempt to communicate ideas which has really been what's struck me about them rather than their bare mechanics. Or rather, how well this communication has helped to turn the gameplay into far more than the sum of it's parts. It doesn't have to be communicated through graphics either, any element of gameplay can be used for it, but without those ideas they would be very boring.
    I like this guy.

Guy, I like you.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    This is reminding me of the thread on Deus Ex: HR that ended up being certain people arguing that the absence of good writing/characters was in fact evidence of good storytelling. I should get out of here before I get sucked in!

PS: Dishonored had a terrible story and average(at best) writing, still an enjoyable and good game.

Disregard my previous post, I just discovered that you DO get acknowledged for acomplishing a certain mission no-kill style. Sorry, Dishonored.

And I just did a mission which is pretty much Life of the Party, so why complain.

Network Hub
    I wouldn't say the writing is terrible, because a lot of backstory and subplots were written that flesh out the world if you just pay attention.

The dialogue, however, was terrible. It was not helped by almost all characters having plastic faces- in fact, the only character I ever saw show facial emotion was Emily.

I gotta say that I'm nearing the end of the game and my opinion has greatly improved.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outright Villainy View Post
    Also, I thought Piero's VA was the worst. He was just... weirdly... slow. For no... reason. He also had no emotion in his voice at all.

This is the first time in history someone's hating on Brad Dourif.
    The username is oddly appropriate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
    I wouldn't say the writing is terrible, because a lot of backstory and subplots were written that flesh out the world if you just pay attention.

The dialogue, however, was terrible. It was not helped by almost all characters having plastic faces- in fact, the only character I ever saw show facial emotion was Emily.
    Agreed to that. I suppose she was the most important character for you to have a connection to at the end of the day. However they could of made a bit more of Samuel & Callista in the chummy stakes at the end of the day. But year on the whole most people were pretty much automatons.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    For me, the criticism "bad writing" is like "immersion-breaking": it's usually a non-term to try to make the opinion "didn't really like it" appear more objective.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    For me, the criticism "bad writing" is like "immersion-breaking": it's usually a non-term to try to make the opinion "didn't really like it" appear more objective.
    Oh write, I guess in your world the whole field of Literature doesn't exist and all books are equally good.

Banned
    Have you seen my father? A middle-aged man.

I agree with this. I think people should be more specific with the issue, e.g. the plot was cliched, the dialogue was terrible (i'm not saying these are true of Dishonored, I haven't played). The "breaks immersion" is the most annoying criticism ever, because its incredibly subjective, and not at all descriptive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Have you seen my father? A middle-aged man.
    Dream logic, how does it work?

So I finished the game with a low chaos rating and I liked how the game mentions the fates of different charachters according to how you interacted with them. Still I find it hard to see how 'saving the queen' is suppose to solve the problems of Dunwall, since it's the monarchy that's on top of the system of opression. Corvo should have joined the Republican faction, instead of the Loyalists :)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    This is the first time in history someone's hating on Brad Dourif.
    Then add a second time, because I thought he was the worst too. Let me clarify: Oh no Corvo, you saw me peeking on a naked woman without her knowledge, let me just have a complete lack of emotion in my voice while I mention how you can totally kill me for it, in the hopes I'll bore you so much you leave me alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Guardian View Post
    So I finished the game with a low chaos rating and I liked how the game mentions the fates of different charachters according to how you interacted with them. Still I find it hard to see how 'saving the queen' is suppose to solve the problems of Dunwall, since it's the monarchy that's on top of the system of opression. Corvo should have joined the Republican faction, instead of the Loyalists :)
    It's implied Emily is your child, but even if she isn't, the hugs are there to connotate he still cares about her, and Corvo has a personal interest in her being in charge, as that was his job before as Lord Protector. Without an Empress, he's out of a job. And why would Corvo join anyone that betrayed him?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Dream logic, how does it work?
    Fallout 3 takes place in a dream?

That explains a lot.

This Escapist article on Dishonored's writing in relation to what 18th and 19th century English gentlement thought of honour is a must-read. If nothing else, you will learn something. He says that although the pistol duel as depicted in the game is extremely uncharacteristic of gentleman culture, how Corvo is treated by the Loyalist is actually very apt for a man who is dishonoured. If the developers did incorporate these relations intentionally, that's damned impressive.

This Critical Intel column is the best thing to appear on the Escapist since Extra Credits.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    the best thing to appear on the Escapist since Extra Credits.
    That isn't saying much.