Dragon's Lair NES Remake Project

Some shameless self promotion, but I just thought I'd make a mention here of a game that I have been working on for close to a year now. What game is that? A remake of the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) game by the name of Dragon's Lair.

For a quick run down on the game, and of how terrible the NES version is, be sure to watch this AVGN episode which was the inspiration behind my remake:
    http://cinemassacre.com/2007/11/20/dragons-lair/

Screenshots from my remake in progress (version 0.50) are provided below.

gameplayshot2.jpg gameplayshot4.jpg gameplayshot6.jpg gameplayshot7.jpg gameplayshot9.jpg

Why remake a bad game? To make it better, plus the attempt in turning something terrible into something good provides myself with a different kind of approach to go for with my latest game. My previous 2 games (Fishing Time and Space Invaders) had been simple games I had enjoyed myself as a child, whilst with this one I wanted to take on something considerably more challenging.

The gameplay of this remake you will find to be quite different to the original. Shots and collisions with enemies no longer insta-kills on impact, jumps and shooting are improved, as is the level design. Currently the demo version of the game completed so far includes the first 2 levels of the original merged into one + the original 3rd level, with some changes and 2 new levels of my own design. The plan is to convert over all levels of the original as well as an equal number of completely new levels. The level editor I have put together throughout the development of this game will also be included for those that wish to create levels of their own in addition.

Below you will find the mediafire download link to version 0.50 of the game:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ah4ynoache7dnl4

Version 0.50 is currently in development and close to release.

Any and all feedback is welcome both here, or if you would like to contact myself directly you can throw me an email at:
    hockland@hotmail.com
    Last edited by icemann; 14-11-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Version 0.50 goes public as of today and includes level 3 of the original converted over (level 6 in mine) + an extra one, new enemies, boss battles, music, improved shooting. And much much more. Expect a much higher difficulty level in the new levels. Enjoy:

Download Link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ah4ynoache7dnl4
    Last edited by icemann; 13-11-2012 at 06:07 PM.

I admit that I'm curious about this. I've been meaning to give it a go, but I haven't had the chance.

Well if you do give it a go, be sure to leave feedback. Every bit helps as I take all comments into consideration into what to change, what works etc etc.

Of note, game pad controllers do work with this, but be sure to switch off analog if you do. On my todo list to fix up controller related things in the next version.

So! Not bad. I enjoyed it. Controls work well, but jumping feels a little odd, because steering yourself in midair fully reverses your momentum. This makes it hard to fine-tune a jump - I had to tap back and forth to land on some of the small moving platforms. Personally I think the jumping would feel better if it used either gradual momentum (Mario) or no momentum (Mega Man).

The new levels do contrast sharply with the old ones. The new mechanics are much better demonstrated in the new levels, but they also make the old levels largely trivial. A good example is the reaper boss - you'd have to really try hard to lose to him now. The new levels are more challenging and fun (level 4 was still really easy). I finished with two lives left. Most of my deaths were from missing a jump.

The troll bosses were a little annoying. I was easily able to avoid their attacks just by standing between them, but it's a bit difficult to hit them, because you jump so high and because they're fairly small targets close to the ground.

The new music is nice - is it your work?

Thank you for the feedback :). Getting jump physics just right is quite the challenge. I spent many nights on it, but could never quite get it just right. I added a few things to it, like being able to a cancel a jumps direction mid-jump which Mario and Castlevania both do, as well as continued movement in the direction jumped even when standing against a block tile which in the example of if the player was standing directly next to a block and wanted to jump on to it. I'll need to spend some more time and try and improve it. Even I die semi-often jumping for the moving platforms still. Using momentum might be the trick.

Originally the Troll bosses threw rocks at you in a curved down direction, but then people complained about the battle being too hard so I changed it to them throwing it up in the air slightly. I might change that back but slow down the speed of the throws. With the new levels I was trying to take the game where I felt that it should have been taken with open levels, multiple paths to the end and exploration equaling rewards rather than just straight on rails linear levels. In the current final level (level 6) there is about 6 different ways you can take to the end. I really like how that level turned out.

The new music is all made by myself yes. Spent a fair bit of time on them, but just let them flow. Just spent 1 night per tune. 1 was an unused track that I had made for an earlier remake of the Atari 2600 game Fishing Derby last year that went into level 4. Level 6's music was a track I had made for a remake of Space Invaders that I had done 2 years back that fitted the game play so I put it in and level 2's track was one I made for the game itself.

In the next version I'll be making a jungle-ish styled tune as I'll be adding in a new jungle / forest themed opening level to the game featuring the extra enemies that are present in the PAL version of the NES game (my remake had been focusing on the NTSC version and I only became aware of the PAL one a few months ago) + adding in the boss battle from that version into the end of 2nd level level (1st level in the current version) of a huge giant snake.

The next version will also hopefully feature far improved gamepad support which is a bit iffy in the current version. If you switch analog on your controller off it works perfectly fine currently.
    Last edited by icemann; 17-11-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Well it's a day of celebration as this post marks the release of the final version of "Dragon's Castle", a remake/improvement project of the NES game "Dragon's Lair" which I have been working on and off on over the last 2 years.

This comes complete with the level editor to make levels as you see fit. Not much in the way of documentation for it but as the game is tile based most things should be relatively easy to work out.

Any bugs/problems/issues, either send me a PM or an email at:
    hockland@hotmail.com

Download Link:
    Link

For earlier posts and news on the project you can that here:
    Link

For those who haven't played it yet, someone uploaded a 1st and 2nd level play through video:
    Link