Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

MP3 player recommendations

So my (merely 2 year old) Sansa Fuze is having some odd software issues, and is looking like it's going to need to be replaced. It was originally chosen because is had an expansion slot for a MicroSD card, allowed easy file drag and drop with no bullshit software, and had a pretty great battery life. I'd like to find a new player that meets those criteria (or alternatively has a very high memory capacity, which would make up for the card slot) and will also hold up for a good long while. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

It should go without saying, but no Apple products please.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm assuming no smartphones? Personally I've found I never use my mp3 player anymore since i got an android phone. (though the stock player was crap and i had to pay five bucks for playerpro... but there's a lot of options out there so it's easy to find one that fits. ). Oh, but I just noticed the battery life thing.... phone needs to be plugged in every night. :-(

MP3 hardware wise, I'm not up to date anymore.

My friend has an ipod nano. Tiny little thing, a 1.5" touchscreen, that's all it is. Looks crazy futuristic.

That said I could never endorse buying an apple product. So just get an android smartphone and buy the poweramp app from the market.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I ve had a Creative Zune 6BG for a bit more than a year, use it almost daily. From what I remember the price was competitive when I bought it. It has a MicroSD slot, battery lasts I would say around 6-8 hours. Recharging takes around half an hour or a bit more via USB only. Comes with its own software to transfer songs but I usually drag and drop. Most of the time this works ok. Works well under Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04. Had another creative mp3 player before that which was 30GB but took one too many falls. Overall it's a simple but good mp3 player, although to be honest I haven't used any other.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I'm using Cowon J3 for two years and it's great but maybe a bit expensive like all Cowon things and probably hard( or impossible) to find nowadays. Anyway, if newer Cowon players are as good as J3, I recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunistHamster View Post
    So just get an android smartphone
    Agreed. There should still be a number of decent Android phones with a card slot.

Since the Zune HD was discontinued, I don't see anybody but Apple making portable music players that aren't cheap pieces of junk. (The first few generations of the iPod Nano with a clickwheel were great. I wouldn't bother with the new ones, though.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I tried using Android phone( mine is HTC Desire HD) as an mp3 player and it failed miserably both with standard player and third-party ones( I tried winamp, DICE and some others). I'm not really some kind of audiophile but the differrence between my HTC cellphone and Cowon J3 is just so striking. The latter is louder for starters, sound quality is much better and I don't have to worry about the battery running out.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 30-10-2012 at 08:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

I have absolutely no use for a smart phone, to be clear. I also explicitly would not want the battery life of an entertainment device tied to the battery life of my means of emergency communication. I know exactly how that would end.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I have a Sansa Clip+. It's tiny but the interface is easy to use, Has a MicroSD slot and good battery life, also very cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I have a Sansa Clip+. It's tiny but the interface is easy to use, Has a MicroSD slot and good battery life, also very cheap.
    How long have you had it? One of these looks ideal, but it seems a little silly to buy another Sansa with this one having crapped out. Then again the Fuze is a much more complicated player than the Clip+, and simplicity tends to be best with these things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    About a year now, so I can't speak for long-term reliability. But I've had no problems so far and I could buy 3 for the price of the player I had before.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    About a year now, so I can't speak for long-term reliability. But I've had no problems so far and I could buy 3 for the price of the player I had before.
    Fair point. The price is very, very right and the feature list is what I want. I suppose at $50 or less, I can afford to replace the damn thing every few years. It's still worlds cheaper than the alternatives. Thanks for the feedback!

Activated Node
    Cowon (expensive, but very good) or Sony (the X1000 was great, but is discontinued). iRiver haven't really produced anything much of interest lately, Creatives are mediocre (though acceptable) and SanDisk only seem to make good small players now. The Zune HD is good if you an get one.

Apple are of course an option, but I have an unexplainable dislike for the company and thus will not recommend any of their products (despite owning a an iPod Mini and Shuffle).

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Fair point. The price is very, very right and the feature list is what I want. I suppose at $50 or less, I can afford to replace the damn thing every few years. It's still worlds cheaper than the alternatives. Thanks for the feedback!
    As a follow up, I picked up a Sansa Clip 8GB and am very pleased with it so far. I was able to simply move my microsdhc (and consequently my entire music library) over to it without any issue, the navigation is actually superior to the FUSE IMO (I hated that stupid wheel), and the overall simplicity of the design is very appealing. Thanks for the suggestion, Kelron.