Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much?

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    I'd have to say the most money I've spent on one MMO would have to be WoW.

1) Collector's Edition of WoW
    2) TBC, WoTLK, and Cataclysm expansions
    3) 4 years or so of subscriptions
    4) Paying to server transfer 3 characters at $25 a pop.

It makes my lifetime sub to TSW look like an absolute bargain by comparison.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If I was all that concerned about "the worst humanity has to offer," I wouldn't play computer games at all.

Sorry, but y'all are some fucked up people.
    Video games are my way of escaping the worst humanity has to offer. I don't need to interact with anyone! Perfect!

Why I come here, on the other hand, is more confusing...
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

I spent a lot less money playing WoW than I do now. Then it was an expansion every two years + €15/month. And that was it.

These days I think I spend about €50 a month for various games.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carra View Post
    I spent a lot less money playing WoW than I do now. Then it was an expansion every two years + €15/month. And that was it.

These days I think I spend about €50 a month for various games.
    Come to think about it - I did as well. During the 4 year period I was engrossed in WoW, I spent absolutely no money on other games. I think my Steam account had all of 2 games in it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    While playing WoW heavily I bought maybe one or two other games a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I've been thinking of getting Guild Wars 2, how is the longevity of the game, and are the server populations?
    not sure about longevity as i've just gotten the game but the servers are packed usually. i had to wait a while to find a spot in henge of denravi even though i ended up switching to shiverpeaks.
    Lookin' 4 Indie Bundles? We track 'em! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Every game community has a massive amount of "teh worst of humanity!" to it.
    But not every game forces you to interact with others to succeed.

In fact in most videogames you either play alone or succeed by shooting them in the face.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Video games are my way of escaping the worst humanity has to offer. I don't need to interact with anyone! Perfect!

Why I come here, on the other hand, is more confusing...
    "We may be horrible examples of humanity, but at least we're sufficiently antisocial that you won't normally come across us!"
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    1 - endless progress
    I found the progress in WoW superfluous. Regardless how much you progress in fancy high level dungeons, next expansion everything is essentially reset, because green items from the new questing zones will be on par with high level epics from the last expansion.

2 - the game is alive
    Might be true for EVE, a game I haven't managed to play past the tutorial because I did something wrong and it wouldn't let me finish it. But for me the juxtaposition of other players in this oddly static world with NPC that wait the whole day for adventurers to bring them items made the worlds of WoW, AoC etc. just feel fake to me.

4 - MMOs reward replay better than any other genre
    You clearly haven't played Dark Souls.

4 - they're cheap
    Ah, I heard that quite often from friends. When they play WoW they don't spend much money on other games. For the money spent on a monthly subscription I could get a delightful selection of indie titles or games on sale each month, that would account to at least the same amount of playtime I'd spend with WoW. With the added bonus of offering variety. That is what's my main gripe with MMO's: They are a massive time sink. You can't really play anything aside of an MMO. By that I'd loose variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I honestly wonder about the kinds of people who play MMOs for the social aspect, since they're usually filled with the worst the humanity has to offer.
    I thought the worst humanity has to offer plays LoL.
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa
    Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Join our racing games subforum! Going wide and braking late since 1886!

Activated Node
    ooops never imagined that this thread would go this far.. well i noticed that most of you guys spent for WoW.. well i played WoW also but on a private server only lawl! anyways, my purpose of asking this question is because i am planning to spend money on a mmorpg that i just recently playing.. im just confused if i would buy some items on their cash shop.. i guess some of you here spent A LOT of money for mmo's haha

any tips?
    Last edited by aladinversuk; 31-10-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Tip: Don't buy everything.

Perhaps give yourself an allowance per week/month. If one allowance period goes by without you having bought anything, add it to the next period.

With WoW we all spent for the most part a steady amount, the sub. With something like a F2P game with microtransactions you could spend 99c on a skin or $99 on all the skins, some weapons and some boosters. Then you realize you shouldn't have done it.

It's akin to Steam sales. "Oh well it's only 2.50 (repeated over the course of three weeks of sales)" and suddenly you own 20 games and are 50 quid poorer.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Tip: Don't buy everything.

Perhaps give yourself an allowance per week/month. If one allowance period goes by without you having bought anything, add it to the next period.

With WoW we all spent for the most part a steady amount, the sub. With something like a F2P game with microtransactions you could spend 99c on a skin or $99 on all the skins, some weapons and some boosters. Then you realize you shouldn't have done it.

It's akin to Steam sales. "Oh well it's only 2.50 (repeated over the course of three weeks of sales)" and suddenly you own 20 games and are 50 quid poorer.
    hmm thanks man haha or maybe i should wait for the sale of the cash items?

Network Hub
    $15 dollars a month for regularly updated and improved content is well worth it for me. So long as there ARE regular improvements and updates to content. The usual answer in the FAQ for why there's a subscriber fee answering that it's to pay for server maintenance doesn't sit well with me. That comes with the game for free. I pay the initial 60 bucks to be able to play the game on reliable servers - I don't pay 15 bucks to keep maintaining it.

So far only a very few MMOs ever have managed to keep regularly updating the game not only with more content and design changes, but even complete graphics overhauls. Eve, L2, and WoW.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    LoL - Play it off and on. I will put down $10-$20 down on the limited time only skins for characters I play. (Hockey Jax and Curling Veigar my favorite). I get that and more value out of the game where I might buy a $30-40 game on steam and play for 2 hours and never get around to it again.

EQ - Monthly + first few expo
    DAoC - Monthly + first few expo
    WoW - Off and On since release. Cheaper than ever for people to get all content purchased on the cheap (when battle chest deals are going). Server transfer once. Some store items.

Other than trying some other MMOs, I never really been subscribed to two at once. Hard to get the time to play more than 2. Guild Wars and F2P work well in this case. But you do not typically jump games often since you get a lot more out of it playing with a community, people you know.

anyways, my purpose of asking this question is because i am planning to spend money on a mmorpg that i just recently playing.. im just confused if i would buy some items on their cash shop..
    Set yourself a limit. For example, WoW costs about €13-15 a month. So you could spend €10 a month on your game if you play it a lot. In any case, I would not go over €15 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by aladinversuk View Post
    my purpose of asking this question is because i am planning to spend money on a mmorpg that i just recently playing..
    what is that mmo that you're talking about man?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Carra View Post
    Set yourself a limit. For example, WoW costs about €13-15 a month. So you could spend €10 a month on your game if you play it a lot. In any case, I would not go over €15 a month.
    hmm i'll take your opinion.

i must set a limit but i'll try my best hahah especially if im really enjoying teh game i tend to go beyond my budget hahha xD

Quote Originally Posted by Kannaaashi View Post
    what is that mmo that you're talking about man?
    the game is maestia from gravity

Quote Originally Posted by

the game is [URL="http://www.playmaestia.com/"
    maestia[/URL] from gravity
    do you think this game is worth it to spend money for mmo ?
    Last edited by Kannaaashi; 02-11-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kannaaashi View Post
    do you think this game is worth it to spend money for mmo ?
    "DANCE for CASH
    $1000 in Prizes"

Call it a male intuition but I don't think so.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    "DANCE for CASH
    $1000 in Prizes"

Call it a male intuition but I don't think so.
    hahaha! maybe it's just the title.. but it's cool for me :)

im diggin their halloween event because it is the last day of it lols