Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    It's too much to hope for a new X-Wing game, isn't it?
    I'd say so. As long as joysticks are out of fashion, I don't think there's a chance in hell of getting a proper X-Wing / TIE Fighter game. I don't think my old old dream of a Star Wars MMO that's something like a mix of EVE and X-Wing will ever come true either.

But there's some good low-hanging fruit to pick, like a Jedi Knight sequel and some new RPGs.

Network Hub
    What on earth would they do in the upcoming film? Since the periods closer to the movies are well documented in the (mostly regarded as canon) expanded universe, they either go according to that or just ignore it completely and make a movie about jar jar and ewoks. And since it's disney, the latter is much more probable. This is so so wrong.
    Also, Grim Fandango 2 as an iOS game.
    Last edited by Prokroustis; 31-10-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakeShark View Post
    On the other hand, a beloved if not strained IP falls into the hands of a corporation of people as opposed to being firmly in the hands of the owner.
    Normally I'd be horrified, but Lucas seems to have such little regard for Starwars fans and little idea what made Starwars great in the first place. Plus Disney have done well with Marvel so far.

DISNEY JUST BOUGHT GRIM FANDANGO! PIXAR'S GRIM FANDANGO MOVIE! GO!
    Oh my god...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    I'd say so. As long as joysticks are out of fashion, I don't think there's a chance in hell of getting a proper X-Wing / TIE Fighter game.
    I don't think so. Disney seem to be far more interested in consoles where you generally have two little analogue sticks which count as joysticks. Even on the PC you could still fly with the mouse (which is how I played TIE Fighter).

But they won't bother with that. They'll be too busy churning out shovelware titles where Han and Chewie go to the Space Market to buy Yoda a plastic arsehole or something. Any hope for a revival of the good old franchises, and being as good as they were in the 90s, is misguided.

Disney aren't Lucas, but they're still not good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Republic Commando 2 and Warren Spector working on Star Wars stuff is all I need.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    If Episode 7 doesn't have Thrawn in it I'm filing a complaint.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Well I guess they can't run the franchise any more to the ground than it already has been.

So what do you think'll happen first; Kinect Star Wars 2 or Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts?

DISNEY JUST BOUGHT GRIM FANDANGO! PIXAR'S GRIM FANDANGO MOVIE! GO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Oh my god...
    There's some possible validity!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/pix...e-los-muertos/

I can only hope.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    There's some possible validity!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/pix...e-los-muertos/

I can only hope.
    I'd love to hope too, but hypothetically even if it was a Grim Fandango-based movie, that line-up doesn't really seem appropriate. Grim Fandango had plenty of silly moments but it still had a depressive, dreary undertone which would be completely wrecked if it was like Toy Story. I don't think Pixar has the appropriate balance to do a proper Grim Fandango movie.

More than likely it'll be silly talking skeletons doing silly things with a moral tossed in for good measure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Huh? Pixar have loads of breadth in their output not just silly things doing silly activities. Can't think of any studio who could potentially do a better job really. I mean Tim Burton would just Tim Burtonise it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I don't think Pixar has the appropriate balance to do a proper Grim Fandango movie.
    I don't think you've seen enough Pixar movies.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Pixar could easily do a Grim Fandango movie. Just get Henry Selick to direct it and you're golden.

And much as I like Star Wars, at this point I wouldn't mind if they went ahead and buried it forever. It's been 35 years since the first movie and since then the franchise has been milked in just about any way a franchise can be milked. There was a time when LucasArts actually stood for innovative games. I wish that time would come again.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I'd love to hope too, but hypothetically even if it was a Grim Fandango-based movie, that line-up doesn't really seem appropriate. Grim Fandango had plenty of silly moments but it still had a depressive, dreary undertone which would be completely wrecked if it was like Toy Story. I don't think Pixar has the appropriate balance to do a proper Grim Fandango movie.
    Yeah, they'd need to change the tone a little. Aside from that though, I think the themes in the Toy Story franchise are quite similar to Grim Fandango.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokroustis View Post
    or just ignore it completely and make a movie about jar jar and ewoks. And since it's disney, the latter is much more probable. This is so so wrong.
    Actually, Disney also owns Mirimax films. Mirimax are the publishers of, for one, Pulp Fiction. The scope of the whole walt disney company is far, far broader then the kids movies we all associate the name with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Actually, Disney also owns Mirimax films. Mirimax are the publishers of, for one, Pulp Fiction. The scope of the whole walt disney company is far, far broader then the kids movies we all associate the name with.
    This is what people are totally over looking. They see the name Disney and think "oh my god its going to be for kids", forgetting or not knowing that Disney owns more properties and studios than most realise. It's worth noting that while they don't currently own Mirimax (sold in 2010) they did own it when they published Pulp Fiction. Personally don't remember very much "Disney" in that movie, but they own the company who produced it.

Also, for people raging about Ewoks and Jar Jar, Disney didn't make those characters up. Lucas did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    This is what people are totally over looking. They see the name Disney and think "oh my god its going to be for kids", forgetting or not knowing that Disney owns more properties and studios than most realise.
    Which is no better than the parents who ignorantly assume all video games are still for kids. :)

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Disney also owns Touchstone Pictures, which was originally created so they could publish more "adult" films under a different label. These films include "Dead Poets Society", "Con Air" and "Good Morning Vietnam" (and "Nightmare before Christmas" funnily enough). Then there's their American TV channel ABC, which produced shows like "Desperate Housewives", "Lost" and "Pushing Daisies".

Disney is above all a company. It has no problems touching mature stuff if there's money to be made.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Also, for people raging about Ewoks and Jar Jar, Disney didn't make those characters up. Lucas did.
    Yes he did, but what's the chance they will actually make anything better than the phantom menace, especially since they want to be making a star wars movie every two years. Lucas at least buried them (after he'd shot them) by stating there wasn't gonna be an ep VII. (insted planning for a jedi-less "mature" tv series taking place in between the trilogies. Which would be interesting.) And with time the pain healed. Now I can only imagine (as Nathan cleverly pointed out) shia labeouf with a lightsaber next to r2-d2. The horror.
    Last edited by Prokroustis; 31-10-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokroustis View Post
    Yes he did, but what's the chance they will actually make anything better than the phantom menace, especially since they want to be making a star wars movie every two years. Lucas at least buried them (after he'd shot them) by stating there wasn't gonna be an ep VII. (insted planning for a jedi-less "mature" tv series taking place in between the trilogies. Which would be interesting.) And with time the pain healed. Now I can only imagine (as Nathan cleverly pointed out) shia labeouf with a lightsaber next to r2-d2. The horror.
    There's this absolutely amazing thing you can do. It's difficult, many people go their whole life without trying it so try it for me. It's the age old lost art of "ignoring". Can you try it? Perhaps you're happy with the original trilogy. You have that. It can never be taken away. Not by Lucas, not by the mouse. It's yours to enjoy for life.

Now image Shia Labeouf is announced at the next lead character in episode 7. You don't have to care because you can ignore it. Nobody is making you take part in it. Shia Labeouf isn't going to magic his way into your copies of the original trilogy. You can be unaffected by whatever horrors he performs on screen!

So if episode 7,8,9 and whatever else they pump out doesn't meet your standards, just ignore it. Simple.