Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokroustis View Post
    Yes he did, but what's the chance they will actually make anything better than the phantom menace
    Are Disney stupid? I'd say not. All they have to do is make a decent adventure flick, and that will be fine. That's what A New Hope was. That's what most of the new Marvel superhero movies are.

Leave out Jar Jar and the little kids, hire a decent writer (holy crap do you remember the "romantic" dialogue in Attack of the Clones?), and just produce a movie that isn't awful. With the prequels, Lucas did the opposite of setting a high bar.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I'm sure the romantic dialogue of Episode 2 was supposed to be awkward.
    It's fucking hilarious actually!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Shia Labeouf isn't going to magic his way into your copies of the original trilogy. You can be unaffected by whatever horrors he performs on screen!
    Neither did Hayden Christen-oh, nevermind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Neither did Hayden Christen-oh, nevermind.
    Oh he did? I'll have to go back and watch MY copy of Return of the Jedi and wonder how he magicked his way in because last I saw it, it was a crusty pale old white dude. (In case it's not obvious, I don't own the re-releases which were edited)

Network Hub
    There's this absolutely amazing thing you can do. It's difficult, many people go their whole life without trying it so try it for me. It's the age old lost art of "ignoring". Can you try it? Perhaps you're happy with the original trilogy. You have that. It can never be taken away. Not by Lucas, not by the mouse. It's yours to enjoy for life.

Now image Shia Labeouf is announced at the next lead character in episode 7. You don't have to care because you can ignore it. Nobody is making you take part in it.
    Of course I can ignore it. But I care, since with it being my favourite franchise I would like something decent being done with it. Is that so uncommon or weird? Should the people horrified with Master of Orion 3, Deus Ex 2, etc had just ignored them and not raised any concerns? For those who say it can't be run further into the ground, tell that to those who thought Ultima 8 was terrible. Yes, I have the original trilogy and no one will take it from me. But I can't help but be left with a sour taste whenever I see it destroyed even more. The fear is both justifiable and real.

Shia Labeouf isn't going to magic his way into your copies of the original trilogy. You can be unaffected by whatever horrors he performs on screen!
    They snuck Hayden Christensen into the original trilogy so I'm not so sure...

Network Hub
    Oh he did? I'll have to go back and watch MY copy of Return of the Jedi and wonder how he magicked his way in because last I saw it, it was a crusty pale old white dude. (In case it's not obvious, I don't own the re-releases which were edited)
    Still, if you want to watch it in higher quality or in the cinema when they rerelease it, he'll be there, staring at you..

Quote Originally Posted by Prokroustis View Post
    But I can't help but be left with a sour taste whenever I see it destroyed even more. The fear is both justifiable and real.
    You need some sort of proof that Disney have somehow already managed to destroy the franchise more after less than 24 hours of ownership.

Yes things can be made, like horrible sequels (invisible war) but then they can have another go and make brilliant ones (Human Revolution).

Should the fact that people didnt like IW mean that they shouldnt have gone back for another try with HR? I'm glad they did. I can now happily ignore IW and play the original and HR to my hearts content.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I am going to hold off on judgement. For one thing, it probably won't be the Disney imprint that does the new movies (maybe a few side stories). For another: Disney has owned Marvel for years. The Marvel movies kicked ass. The Marvel comics (that should be dark) are darker and more messed up now than they ever have been. There is hope yet.

There's this absolutely amazing thing you can do. It's difficult, many people go their whole life without trying it so try it for me. It's the age old lost art of "ignoring". Can you try it? Perhaps you're happy with the original trilogy. You have that. It can never be taken away. Not by Lucas, not by the mouse. It's yours to enjoy for life.

Now image Shia Labeouf is announced at the next lead character in episode 7. You don't have to care because you can ignore it. Nobody is making you take part in it. Shia Labeouf isn't going to magic his way into your copies of the original trilogy. You can be unaffected by whatever horrors he performs on screen!

So if episode 7,8,9 and whatever else they pump out doesn't meet your standards, just ignore it. Simple.
    In general, I agree with you and I think all future problems can be avoided through ignoring.

But Episode 1-3 DID ruin Darth Vader for me. Growing up, he was a scary badass. Now, every time he talks I just can't help but think "Waa waa, you gonna cry Annie?" and laugh.

The prequels almost ruined Boba Fett, but the EU had already gone on to establish that he is:
    1. The most entertaining character to come out of the movies that isn't Harrison Ford
    2. A butt monkey

Seriously, the dude fell into the Sarlaac TWICE. And he was almost decapitated (accidentally) by Han Solo's kid. And he never got to kill Han Solo. And his greatest accomplishment was organizing the Mandalorians again, but ensuring he can never set foot on (new) Mandalore. Oh, and his greatest meaningful accomplishment was teaching Han Solo's kid how to kill Han Solo's other kid (and I would like to think Kyle Katarn had more to do with it than Boba did :p). So seeing "baby Boba" really did nothing to hurt the character. But Vader still had some "street cred"

Although, Dark Times has done a lot to make Vader a threat again. If you can read the one-shot where he wipes out many of the surviving Jedi masters in 1onMany combat and not still feel that old shiver every time he ignites his sabers in the original trilogy, you have no soul.
    Last edited by gundato; 31-10-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    In general, I agree with you and I think all future problems can be avoided through ignoring.

But Episode 1-3 DID ruin Darth Vader for me. Growing up, he was a scary badass. Now, every time he talks I just can't help but think "Waa waa, you gonna cry Annie?" and laugh.
    I can see how that happened. After watching 1-3 I decided that they didn't happen and aren't canon. Vader is still a bad ass.

As an aside, a friend of mine who has a young daughter sat down to watch the entire series with her. They started on Episode 1 and went from there. She loved Anakin in episodes 1 and 2 but into 3 he became scary to her and she no longer loved him. 4-6 and no Vader is even scarier because she remembers him being that nice little boy.

Most of us saw the original trilogy before the prequels as kids and as a result we have our views of characters ingrained in our minds. When something comes along that tries to change that, it's not appreciated and often hated. But for kids growing up now, they get to enjoy all 6 movies. We all still get to enjoy our original 3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I can see how that happened. After watching 1-3 I decided that they didn't happen and aren't canon. Vader is still a bad ass.

As an aside, a friend of mine who has a young daughter sat down to watch the entire series with her. They started on Episode 1 and went from there. She loved Anakin in episodes 1 and 2 but into 3 he became scary to her and she no longer loved him. 4-6 and no Vader is even scarier because she remembers him being that nice little boy.

Most of us saw the original trilogy before the prequels as kids and as a result we have our views of characters ingrained in our minds. When something comes along that tries to change that, it's not appreciated and often hated. But for kids growing up now, they get to enjoy all 6 movies. We all still get to enjoy our original 3.
    Agreed. And outside of Little Orphan Annie, I still love the original trilogy.

If anything, Robot Chicken has done MUCH more to ruin the drama of those scenes than the prequels ever could. And I love Seth Green for it :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Meh to me Anakin Skywalker and Vader are two different people. Anakin is a conflicted and young guy (forgetting the standard of acting) who happens to be a very powerful force user. After he gets burnt and arms cut off/finds out Padme's dead that side of him is just completely gone and he sort of loses himself to the darkside and becomes a totally new character. I know it's not perfect or whatever, but Ep 1-3 didn't ruin Vader for me.

Network Hub
    You need some sort of proof that Disney have somehow already managed to destroy the franchise more after less than 24 hours of ownership.

Yes things can be made, like horrible sequels (invisible war) but then they can have another go and make brilliant ones (Human Revolution).

Should the fact that people didnt like IW mean that they shouldnt have gone back for another try with HR? I'm glad they did. I can now happily ignore IW and play the original and HR to my hearts content.
    I'm talking about fear. Nothing is certain of course, and will probably watch the new one when it comes out. But as gundato notices, it is not the easiest thing to block out the prequels even when watching the originals. The ideal situation would be if they set it a long time apart, like the first sith empire, but I don't really see that happening.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I got them (the revisionist cuts) as a gift. I'm sure a lot of people did. I only watched them once. I only could watch them once.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    People forget that Darth Vader used to be terrifying. My local game store had a life-sized Darth Vader statue (as I've mentioned before) and not even all the M&Ms at the base could take away from his aura of dread. My brother wouldn't go anywhere near him, lest he come to life and lift us off the ground like the puny children we were.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 31-10-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Huh? Pixar have loads of breadth in their output not just silly things doing silly activities. Can't think of any studio who could potentially do a better job really. I mean Tim Burton would just Tim Burtonise it.
    Pixar is dead. The first two projects started after the buyout were Cars2 and Brave. Cars2 was made to push all that cars merch, and Brave was a movie about a princess (nuff said).

Pixar aint Pixar anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    Pixar is dead.
    Someones always says that after every average Pixar movie, and they always turn out to be wrong.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Brave I liked. Nothing special but was not bad.

Cars 2 I can only imagine they pushed since it is popular with kids (DisneyLand put in a whole new Cars area the past year).
    Last edited by Moraven; 31-10-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Pixar is definitely not dead. Cars 2 is their only poorly received film I think. Toy Story 3 and Up were both amazing, I don't think they've died all of a sudden.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The Marvel movies were planned before the buyout. When Disney got heavily involved Iron Man 2 ended up shit. I also think The Avengers is shit, but maybe I just have bad taste - I LOVE Thor and Claptain America.

They made a lot of turds in the last decade. I hope the new management is smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I also think The Avengers is shit, but maybe I just have bad taste - I LOVE Thor and Claptain America.
    You're kidding. The Avengers is the definitive superhero movie. When I came out of that cinema I was so angry I never got it as a kid, I wanted to grab the shoulders of the nearest toddler and scream "Do you know how lucky you are? DO YOU?!"