Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Roundabout SE
    Bravo 1 FTL

We got in the truck and drove off. After disembarking and not getting any orders I realized
    Bravo Squad Lead. Got into our transport truck and... died.
    happened. Took command of Bravo and we advanced to the valley ridge to kill some dudes. Told CO Kefirz the sitrep, and didn't hear from him since, well he died pretty early on, Alpha SL took overall command.

Bravo was ordered to flank around the valley from the north, told the situation to the fireteams and we went. Suddenly, my internet started acting up. After going to the attic to restart my router I found myself very far away from the engagement zone (thanks AI). Relinquished command of Bravo to Skabooga from A2, and gave command of the fireteam to my AR Zitron until I regrouped.

By the time I RV'ed, Bravo was being engaged from every angle, took command of my fireteam, but left command of Bravo to Skabooga, as he had a better idea of the situtation. A few injuries and revives later, we won.

Goose Chase
    OPFOR
    Alpha 1 FTL

Took up FTL slot again as it was empty for like 2 minutes, no regrets best mission in quite a while.
    We were heading with a hostage due East, with Unaco, the hostage guard commanding the element of the two fireteams A1 and A3.

We would move as fast as possible to the safezone East, A1 would lead in front, Hostie in the middle, and A3 in the back. We were buzzed by the chopper constantly while moving, I would like to know how easy were we to spot, as I could see the door gunner very clearly at times.

So, after walking for quite a bit, Wolfenswan (A3), reported that the chopper has powered down north of us and is disembarking troops. Unaco ordered a quick spring towards south to Msta(?) safehouse to take some transport. The chopper followed us through the forest.

We arrived at the safehouse and found a sedan and a Diskha UAZ. Hostage and Unaco took the sedan and drove forward. We took the UAZ, and started firing at the chopper. What followed was a chase scene to the outskirts of Elektrozavodsk, us only stopping to scare off the chopper with our dishka. After arriving at a designated RV, we ditched the transports and went on foot through the forest. We kept 2 people in the UAZ to scare off the chopper.

What followed was a very confusing last minutes.
    We heard the chopper power down. A3 is being engaged. Unaco orders A1 to advance forward. I spot the chopper, on the ground, realizing it's an excellent position to flank BLUFOR. A BLUFOR pilot scared me very much but me and my buddy killed him. Buddy lost his legs, my other fireteam members sprint to steal the chopper (will know it is frowned upon in the future, sorry). I run over to two BLUFOR sitting near a fence and I shot both of them in the backs. One of the pesky blufor didn't die, but go into agony mode and shot me with his m249. I got into agony too, as the blufor crawled near me he said "I ran out of ammo" *click, click*. I smiled and shot him with my full AK mag. My buddy revived me, after crawling to my position for quite a while.

Here we were, only now realizing that Unaco was dead, A3 dead, us cannot stand up, and the hostage - gone. I ordered the guys in the chopper to find the hostage, giving them a rough position. Saw enemy helicopter flying around, looted the M249 and shot everything at it, then took a nearby M4 holo (keke FTL loot), and emptied that too to no effect. Then saw the heli land, and a few moments later the mission ended.

Poctalon
    Nothing special happened here, went to the crash site with Strang in command, saw the enemy and died almost immediately, evil custom AI.

Phew, what a wall of text. Really enjoyed that session, especially Goose Chase, I think that mission worked very well, would be interesting to experience it from the BLUFOR side, see how it plays out.
    Last edited by Halop; 24-10-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Here's a short video of Goose Chase, showing the botched west Chernarus hostage rescue. For reference SuperU was ASL, my two-man A1 (me and Simon) were trying to cut the enemies off as they were trying to get into the safe zone, while A2 FTL'd by IceRaiser was chasing the fleeing enemies from behind. The white jacket of the hostage shone like a star in the middle of the forest, making it fairly easy to follow the fleeing OPFOR from A1's position and close in.

You also get to observe the horror that is ARMA2 HDR.
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

I was only around for Goose Chase, so I can only post about that. At great length! I was the "Element Lead" for the Eastern Group, so I can shed some light on what our thinking was, and the confusion there at the end, with the Chopper and stuff.

Goose Chase
    Guard 1, looking after Aido and Alphas 1 and 3.

I was tasked with getting my hostage to the Eastern most Safe Zone, keeping OFF the roads, out of clearings and towns, under cover, and moving fast. We knew that BluFor would have to anticipate us, find a clearing to set down and get boots on the ground... so if we kept moving and kept away from any likely spots, I thought we'd be able to keep a step ahead of them, always being gone and moved on by the time they got in a position to move in on us. We did pretty well, for the majority, only seeing a BluFor infantry man when we were ~1100 meters from our final destination.

I was looking after Aido, who was a very good hostage. He gave me a little hassle at first, not knowing instinctively which direction I wanted him to go (no compass), and running into a wall for a while. But he eventually got to following me obediently (with one of the other groups shepherding him from behind. I don't know how it was for him (it is difficult to play hostages and the like), but I thought it was a nice balance of him possibly running off (and me keeping an eye on my STHUD) without it being a constant pain. And without me having to shoot him.

We headed out East, with Alpha1 running 100 or so meters ahead, scouting out the ground, Alpha3 taking up the rear 50 meters back, and me and Aldo sandwiched between. Fer had stressed he wanted us to keep moving, and to keep to the trees, for the reasons listed above. I thought it was a good plan, and that we'd do best avoiding, or fighting around/past any engagements. We were being buzzed pretty much from the off, but it was a few minutes in before I reckoned they'd got a solid on our position, when a chopper dropped some troops, by parachute, to our North, with some more activity East, in our path.

This was the first mission I'd commanded at such a level for quite a while, so I was a little rusty with my decisions... as we shall see. I figured BluFor had anticipated our Eastern route, to the vehicles cache thing we were heading for, and that an ambush was waiting East (the anvil), and the Northern troops were there to move in on our flank/rear (the hammer). I decided to divert to a vehicle cache to the South... figuring it would take BluFor too long to reposition and ambush us there, while we avoided anything they had planned. I also thought we could give BluFor a surprise ourselves, and tasked Wolf and Alpha3 with holding back, and setting an ambush on BluFor if they moved down.

Me, the Hostage and Alpha1 made it to Mrsta and were able to secure ourselves a Sedan, and a DSkHm UAZ. We were still getting constantly buzzed by the chopper, but no ground troops. I gave the UAZ permission to open up if they got a good shot on the chopper, try and keep it away from us if we were going to be taking any roads with our new shiny vehicles. To that, I said my decisions and planning were a little rusty. I checked the map and realised we weren't in the greatest position. The only roads nearby led back up North to Staroye, and were I figured BluFor would be waiting for us, or South, down to Elektravadosk, and then a long route round the coast, or back inland, which would have left us quite exposed, but moving fast enough to not give Blufor time to set anything up. I should have had a better idea of what to do there.

In the end, I chose a Thunder run down to Elektra, and then to turn back inland, up to Staroye and hook up with Alpha3 (who had flanked our initial route, but not encountered BluFor), with the circuitous route confounding any ambushes and the like. I picked a point ~3K of the Safe zone, and got everyone back on foot, except for a gunner/driver for the Uaz. Those on foot would move (almost) directly to the Safe zone, but keeping in cover as much as they could, while the Uaz would shadow us on the road North, and scout out our final destination. We were still being constantly buzzed by the chopper, and then I got the bad news from Fer... a second chopper, and at least a fireteam, was now headed our way to join the one currently bothering us, and he was bugging out. We were on our own, with all the remaining BluFor focussing on us.

We got ~1300 meters from the Safe zone, and things were getting tense. It must have been quite obvious to BluFor which zone we were heading to, and from which general direction, so I was somewhat expecting the contact when it came. Alpha3 were leading, Alpha1 taking up the rear, moving NE. Alpha3 got contact to our East. I tasked them with engaging, figuring they could hold them off, while Alpha1 and I made a bee line North and slipped away. As we moved forward, we encountered some more enemy (or the same) and Alpha1 made to flank them and hit them while Alpha3 pinned them. I needed to make a decision... I was getting a little confused, Wolf (A3 lead) was down, I didn't know where the enemy were exactly, or if we had a hope of beating them in a stand up fight. I didn't know if there were more enemy directly North and if I could or should rush off with the Hostage, leaving my Fireteams to die, holding the enemy off, or if we could disengage and pull out with some force still intact. I got radio that the enemy had landed a chopper, and that it was easy pickings. Wild, heroic fantasies of bundling the Hostage into the enemy chopper and stealing it from under their noses ran through my mind. As all of this was happening, I caught some muzzle flash from a low wall to my right, between A1 and A3 to my mind, and I figured we had (some of) the enemy sandwiched between us. I made a decision...

In the end, it was a regrettable decision. I decided to take the shot, to kill the enemy engaging us there, to fight our way out together, and, maybe, try and secure that chopper. I decided to take the shot. Regrettable. For a start, I had a Bizon. It was ~150-200 meters, the target was moving, and I had a Bizon. He likely had some sort of scoped/holo M16. Secondly, I was wearing a sky blue tracksuit, and wasn't in anything you could call cover. He was wearing woodland camo and had trees to hide behind. Regrettable. I saw some more muzzle flash, and that was it. It was then I thought, I should have just ran. The Fireteams were screening me from the enemy, we could have made it away North and probably had a damn good chance of making it the ~1K to safety. But hindsight's a bitch.

With me dead, it seemed to unravel somewhat with OpFor... Halop did a nice ambush and execution on at least 3 BluFor, but left one still alive, writhing around to wound him. And, in the end, if we couldn't have the hostage, no one could, and he got killed shortly after BluFor landed and picked him up. We were the bad guys, after all. If I'd stayed alive, or someone had noticed the absence of my melodious tones, we could have still had a chance of pulling out and getting the hostage secure again. But hindsight's a bitch.

I should probably take (some) responsibility for the chopper, and any OpFor antics with it. I should have cut the idea down as soon as it was suggested, and I should have told them off it when they made a move for it... but I was dead by then. And I was thinking with my bones/balls, rather than my brains, and I thought we could try and pull off something spectacular after I had made my 2 Fireteams do little but run through some woods and take potshots at a chopper for an hour or so... If we could do it in a decent manner. I apologise for not speaking up on it, as I should have.

It was a good mission though, and I enjoyed myself... despite the pressures of command, and somewhat spoiling A1 & 3's fun by keeping them AWAY from the enemy as best I could.
    Last edited by Unaco; 24-10-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

[AAR] TacTuesday 30.10.2012 - Fun Police

Missions

- Shapur Raiders
    - GooseChase
    - BlackFolkDown
    - Police Rescue

We tickled the 40 players today but didn't quite make it. Shapur Raiders went as expected, with general dying fueled by ASR_AI anger. Goose Chase went to Blufor though with one hostage dead and the other only surviving by sheer luck it's a victory of questionable fashion. Black Folk Down went worse than the last times, with both Squads nearly perishing at the feet of bunker hill
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 30-10-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Fun fact: this was my first time playing Arma 2 multiplayer. Chances are you could probably tell. Had a great time though! :D

Lessons learnt:

- I really need to install STHud
    - I should turn down the quality settings so I don't end up with BlackFolkDown turning into an interactive slideshow and having to quit because of it.
    - The mic is my friend, so I should use it.

Network Hub
    Very fun session today. I took command of two missions which meant a lot of shouting and losing control.

- Shapur Raiders

Charlie Squad Lead. Started with a plan to take positions and watch to the south / reinforce alpha and bravo to the north, but the convoy interrupted all that and shot me in the face. Mission over very quickly

- GooseChase

OpFor Commander. The plan wasn't bad, but didn't leave much room for dealing with a BLUfor ambush and didn't anticipate the death of a hostage. With two squads down, the remaining group was surrounded and killed. SuperU, with an alarmingly effective case of Stockholm Syndrome, dodged death to grant BLUfor a win. A lot of CC shouting occurred on my part as things fell to pieces.

The mission could easily have ended in the first few minutes as SuperU decided to walk 200M across an open field with only two men as guards. There was only two AK47s inbetween him and a swift BLUfor rescue.

Many thanks to squads one and three for dying valiantly.

- BlackFolkDown

Alpha Medic. Helped secure Abdul, the warlord with questionable motives, before watching Toppo get sniped out of his helicopter. Fell victims to snipers myself, starting cheating by accident, gunned down when running across open ground.

- Police Rescue

BLUfor commander. Very fun mission which worked well with a two commanders structure - came all so close to winning but had the hostages snatched from our grasp, then they decided to run off. BLUfor and Opfor continued to fight as orders become meaningless in a post-apocalyptic Zargabad.

- Test Mission

Far too many map markers. Far too many grenades. Good mission.

After session - Undercover

Black people should not attempt to pass themselves off as takistani locals.

After After Session - Escape From Chernarus

Modern Warfare 14: Captain Price vs ASR AI

I strongly recommend people stick around after sessions if they are able. It's a lot less serious and the more informal missions get played. Plenty of fun to be had

Quote Originally Posted by thekev506 View Post
    - The mic is my friend, so I should use it.
    That depends just how Scouse you are... ;)
    Last edited by SpecialSoup; 31-10-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Was I the only one that found Police Rescue confusing? It didn't have tags or anything so I got separated from my FT and ultimately paid the price of an infantryman to some nasty rocks. Also it lagged. :D

Shapur Raiders
    Alpha Squad Lead

"Hell yeah, alpha squad supreme let's go and kill that convoy... oh it's already here and shooting death at us. Come in A2, *silence*, come in A1, *silence*." Then I get a message on global that there are only 3 people left, okay time for heroics, atleast i have my med.., had, as he got butchered by a hind.

Okay sole survivor mode GO, I hear an UAZ, it has a Dshka, I kill the gunner and driver. Then I sprint to it, gonna teach that hind a lesson, and it shot me with it's autocannon.

GooseChase
    OPFOR A1 FTL

Even though I was hoping to hold out for Blufor, I got into Opfor. Same plan as before, splitting up, but this time I went West. Ghandi was my element lead and hostie guard. We get into a forest near that village don't remember the name. We got engaged by the chopper, my team returned fire and, as I learned post game, killed it's door gunner, Waffly. But at the same time, sneaky Blufor A1 was shooting at us at the same time as the chopper, so I dismissed those shots as Chopper fire.

If only I had known that Blufor was already on the ground stalking us. As expected of a clueless FTL, I walked into the perfect ambush, and my Fireteam was massacred in seconds.

BlackFolkDown
    Bravo 2 AT

It was a pretty smooth mission for our fireteam, not counting the end. Sounded like Alpha got shot up pretty bad, bravo also lost quite a lot of guys near the end. That assault on the villa was evil. Got killed by an enemy sniper.

Some screenshots from the session, most are from BlackFolkDown, some are from Goose Chase http://imgur.com/a/FDYFU
    Last edited by Halop; 31-10-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialSoup View Post

That depends just how Scouse you are... ;)
    I'm only half scouse, don't worry :P I live in a town a couple miles outside of Liverpool.

[AAR] I44 04/11/12 - Ah Stayin' aliveeee

We had another fun session, we had our up's and down's and a big thanks from me to those brave soldiers who came.
    We played:

Dynamic campaign
    The Cabourn Cauldron
    Battlegrounds
    Goulash Bridge
    Jedburgh ambush

If you have anything to share then post it here or in there -> http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...namic-Campaign

Network Hub

[AAR] TT 06/11/2012 - Baby faced assassins

Tonight we played:

Goose chase
    Vanguard
    Rep Revolution

The goose was well and truely chased, Vanguard was as painful as ever and Special soup's new mission had ice escaping by the skin of his teeth.

Please come along on Sunday for more splodes and possibly less baby noises, or not.

I was only around for Vanguard. Was Bravo SL.

Everything went somewhat smoothly up until the point when we reached the southern end of that industrial complex we were supposed to clear. There was a static or something to our south. In hindsight, I should have sent some fireteam to flank it form the side, there was an opening in the walls to the back. But, Vanguard is Vanguard, I got shot and killed, and then I disconnected, didn't see what happened in the end. Ruling through incompetence :D

Obscure Node
    What was up with the parachutists in Goose Chase?

Activated Node
    Goose Chase
    I was hostage #1, "protected" by Ghandis.
    We started off by hanging around in the starting village, trying to understand how Ghandis' relatives could've bought such a crappy house.
    Crappy table in the crappy kitchen:
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/92...CF6D1AE9283EB/
    I did use the wait to catch some sun:
    http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...CCF79671BD1C1/

After a little while, Ghandis decided that we should travel up to his summer home.
    We got caught up in some traffic but after I yelled at the driver in front that he was a worse driver than my grandmother, he drove off the road and almost hit a tree.
    Satisfied that we could now drive faster than 30 I told Ghandis to punch it! I was getting hungry.
    But when we got there.. we waited:
    http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...2BAA7ADA87BE6/

Some TV-inspectors came flying past in a helicopter and shot up Ghandis cars - even killing one of his friends :o
    They flew away though when they realised that the Ghandis had paid his bills.
    We waited some more and I realised that Ghandis did not have a soul. Look at those empty eyes:
    http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...2FB7EA0E8D0FA/

One of Ghandis friends came by, wearing nothing but a pyjamas, namned Wolff and told us that we'd go to the pancake factory.
    On our way there Ghandis insulted me by saying that my manhood was small.
    The rest of the way I refused to talk to him and just sat there looking out the window.

We got to a russian harbour and Ghandis got out and pointed his gun at me, telling me to get out.
    I refused; unless he would apologize!
    He said "sorry, now get out". I forced him to say it really-really nice and mean it!
    "I'm really-really sorry and your manhood is big". I jumped out and said "Great, we're friends. Let's go have pancakes!"
    Then bullets started flying around us as the TV-inspectors hunted Ghandis, even though he said he'd paid, and I crawled all the way to a medic-marked pancake vodnik.
    But they were all out of pancakes :(

Vanguard
    Toppo(?) was the FTL of A1, Bodge was SL.
    We flanked around north, went in and killed dudes.
    M113's died, Bravo died, tank died...
    We got to the first stronghold and managed to piss off a T-34, leading to Bodge's death.
    Alpha regrouped, 5 men strong, and charged at the hill!
    And we died ^.^
    Great commanding, awesome job Alpha!

Rep Revolution
    King IceRaiser o' Pancakes needed to be transported to the airfield to personally test the latest shipment of pancakes.
    Specialsoup(?) was in charge of my loyal bodyguards.
    The plan was to drive in a convoy with the BMP2 first, followed by a SUV with a Fireteam, SUV with me and a fireteam and a Ural bringing up the rear with anyone that couldn't fit+CO.
    I decided to grab the frontseat so I could pick the radiostation and poke my loyal driver, Dan, with a stick I found.
    The plan was simple:
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/92...6CF9FB03EF48C/
    As we got to the last little hill before Nagara, an IED exploded between the BMP and the SUV, destroying the SUV.
    The BMP struggled to turn and seemed really confused(note to self: don't hire the sheepest crew) and I yelled at Dan to drive, drive and DRIIIIIIVE!
    Bullets dented my beautiful SUV as we flew over the dunes and into Nagara, making a speedy escape.
    My loyal bodyguards did their job and their family's shall recieve a goat each.
    http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...DC5755FA7827C/
    We got to the airfield and pancakes was had.

Thanks everyone for coming along and trying to kill me :)

Network Hub
    Goose Chase

Guard for Stanglove.

I actually have a video of this mission, but not very much happened and due to living in a) the worst place in England, and b) farmland, It would take a very long time to upload a not very interesting video.

After a confusing start where I struggled to work out which vehicle was which and where the rest of Black Mamba's fireteam was going, we set off. We quickly realised our driver was not even in our mumble channel, followed by Black Mamba falling out of the pickup and being left behind. He proved extremely useful in confusing BLUFOR from behind enemy lines.

After Mamba passed on intel on where BLUfor were paradropping, we swerved around to Stary, met up with our expressionless comrades, found a less than inviting selection of vehicles are proceeded north. We came to a point where we had to drive several hundred metres across open fields in our god awful pickup. Luckily, BLUfor chose this moment to land their helo and pick up the troops they dropped in completely the wrong place. We picked up a Dshkm armed UAZ and gunned it to Krasnostav. I got my cereal from the supermarket, Strang went crazy on the gun, something nearby blew up for absolutely no reason.

Vanguard

Alpha 3 FTL. Drove the M113 around, half of my squad joined the squad lead as he pushed into the compound, lost the M113 which did far less drifting than hoped, proceeded to be destroyed by a tank. Apologies to Macaco for running him over.

Rep Revolution

Thanks to all for testing. I've made a few changes already and I'll put another version up sometime soon. The mission didn't quite go as planned but there was plenty of action and 'king' iceraiser came within millimetres of lead-based death.

Quote Originally Posted by IceRaiser View Post

That was SuperU, I was an Opfor AT guy.

Quote Originally Posted by IceRaiser View Post
    Your grace, how could you have mistaken the evil opfor, for your loyal and caring UN bodyguard!

[AAR] I44 10/11/12 - <- Look at that date!

So we played I44 again :D
    And we actually completed some Kalelovil's missions so that counts as a success in my book.
    We played these missions:
    Road Escort - different versions and quite a lot of times because it was that fun.
    Dynamic campaign
    Tunnel ambush

As always thanks to those who came, and I hope I'll see you next week.

Really though, we need to recruit more minio... I mean soldiers for the next session.

BTW it was fun, especially when I died twice in a flying double-truck.

Activated Node
    The time travelling, mortar firing, gravity defying, half-track owning 20 wheeled battle truck was the highlight.

Also forcing daf to hide in a hole in the Tunnel mission was fun.

[AAR] Tactical Tuesday 13th November - Punnery Sergeant

Thanks to everyone for attending and some excellent play seen throughout! Missions were:

Red Snow
    Compound it
    Crateresistance
    Cholololololo
    (PostSessionTest) Defence in Depth

Again, thanks for coming along and don't forget about Sunday's FOLK sessions, open to any and all ARPS players.
    I'm Respecting your culture!