Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar

BF2142 on Windows 7

Anyone got this working? I don't think I had a problem with it before, but I downloaded it (Origin, I know) and just can't launch it whatsoever. No splash screen, just get the spinning circle thing and then nothing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Well if anyone has this issue, it turns out you actually need to manually patch the game.

1.40 -> 1.50 -> 1.51

Obscure Node
    900 N Vincennes Ave, Petersburg, IN 47567
    Can you explain it more, as found it difficult to understand.

soins oxygène

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Thanks to the botty bump I do have input here, I activated my disc on origin ages ago and thus forgot about the game.

Is it still worth leveling up for all the junk this late on in the games life cycle? I mean, I have to level up for all the junk in BF3 to properly enjoy that too, am I best cutting my losses?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Tough call, Helio. I say go for it. 2142 is still my favorite, but it's well past popularity, and the remaining players will be a mean dedicated crowd. There are a handful of populated servers, about half on Titan mode (my preference), and the early unlocks do come quickly (guessing 5-10 if you put in a good weekend). It dates from the pre-COD4 school of slow unlocking (not nearly as slow as BF2 though), and at 440+ hours I'm still missing 4 of them. They're also serial (2 lists of 5 each per class, 6 globals for player upgrades, 4 for squad leader), so you can't just pick and choose anything.

Unlocks list: http://us.2142-stats.com/BF2142+Info/Unlocks.html

My recommendations for starting out would be the first 3 from "Player-Upgrade" right away (grenade, sprint time, sprint regen), RDX & invis camo for Recon (3 points), PDS vehicle scanner and Koenig Pilum (AT rifle) for Engineer (4 points) - or else EMP and motion mines for defense (3 points in the other list), Assault defib (1 point), EMP grenade and sentry turret for Support (3 points).

I rate Engineer highest for fun factor, unless you love to play space-ninja Recon and are creative about delivering those RDX packs (on your vehicles, from parachute, ambushes, etc), in which case take his carbine too. Assault and Support are necessary for strong squad/team play, but at this late date I'd just go with one of the explosive options. The squad leader spawn beacon is handy too.

Too bloody much to not be stifled... Ugh... BF2 unlocks might have been slow, but they were also not core equipment, they just "swap outs" for guns, not really that much better except the DAO which has my heart forever and I got at the start in BF3 for some reason.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    BF2 unlocks might have been slow, but they were also not core equipment, they just "swap outs" for guns, not really that much better except the DAO which has my heart forever and I got at the start in BF3 for some reason.
    BF2142 weapons are the same, they're all sidegrades. You can also always hop into a vehicle where everyone's equal.

2142 does not have "equal" vehicles, you can slap a radar on yours and I think something to do with repairs and remember you are only one button press from out of a vehicle where you can use whatever gubbins you have unlocked to tip the balance.

They really are not the same or just sidegrades. The Pilum has completely different capabilities from the lock-on launchers, and there's nothing comparable to the Assault's range-fuse rifle rockets that can precisely kill targets behind cover. I vastly prefer the basic Krylov AR to the SCAR, and the slower tracked tank over the hovertank because it wins artillery duels and peek-a-boo fights and doesn't drift down hills.

Small differences do matter in the long run. Even having slightly tweaked stats for flavor does add up. The best games of this sort are really the ones that take the asymmetry much further. Natural Selection and QuakeWars have gameplay entirely designed around it.

Knowing when and where to go demolitionist space-ninja is a game changer. The equipment unlocks are unquestionably an unfair advantage. They seriously need to quit doing this and leave the unlocks to extra config slots or flair or whatever.