Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Overclocking E6550 2.3 GHz CPU

Would it be smart to tune this old cpu,i'm using G41M motherboard and have 2x1 DDR2 ram with 400 frequency.

ps. GPU is ATI4850 512mb.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    G41 chipset? Can't help you, sorry. If you had an X38 motherboard, that would have been a different story.

Tell you what. If you get:
    ASUS Maximus Formula or ASUS Maximus Extreme
    ^----------------------------------------------- ^
    4GB 1000mhz G.Skill DDR2 or 4gb 1600mhz OCZ (early version) DDR3
    a Core 2 Duo E8400

(I'm sure all this would cost$200-$250 used nowadays)

I can just PM you my old BIOS settings, and you get a 1 minute overclocking process :)
    You will not believe the performance of this setup when overclocked.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

If a small increase in CPU performance would be beneficial to you, then yes it would be smart.
    Are you using the standard CPU cooler that came with the CPU?

If you don't have much to loose try increasing you FSB by small amounts, and see if your PC still boots + runs games without crashing.
    Also check you CPU temps while running a CPU intensive program for an extended period of time.

If your PC stays black multiple times when turning on, you may need to reset BIOS settings by taking out the battery (and/or using a jumper on you MB) Look in you MB manual how to reset BIOS (clear CMOS).
    Always remove the PC power plug when tinkering in your PC!

Overclocking is not very risky for hardware these days IMO, but I have to say: It's on you own risk.
    Last edited by bad guy; 02-11-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bad guy View Post
    If a small increase in CPU performance would be beneficial to you, then yes it would be smart.
    Are you using the standard CPU cooler that came with the CPU?

If you don't have much to loose try increasing you FSB by small amounts, and see if your PC still boots + runs games without crashing.
    Also check you CPU temps while running a CPU intensive program for an extended period of time.

If your PC stays black multiple times when turning on, you may need to reset BIOS settings by taking out the battery (and/or using a jumper on you MB) Look in you MB manual how to reset BIOS (clear CMOS).
    Always remove the PC power plug when tinkering in your PC!

Overclocking is not very risky for hardware these days IMO, but I have to say: It's on you own risk.
    nothing about voltages, ram timings, cpu ratio, FSB strap, keeping PCI-e frequency fixed, dealing with spread spectrum and loadline calibration on 45nm C2Ds, north bridge voltage and overheating, let me repeat that: north bridge overheating, GTL Reference?
    ??
    ???

This is a non-answer bad guy. I hate non-answers, it's like I'm in a Yahoo! Answers page >(

Best advice I can give Daft Punk, if you have the patience to spend all your free time for the next few weeks learning the architecture of your motherboard, and optimisin g everything, go for it.
    Steam profile

Sure you could get really into it and and spend lots of time to get an optimal overclock.
    Or you try around (play safe and don't exagerate), and get a nice 60% of that optimal overclock with 10% of the work.

Naturally he should get a referance of what his CPU (and mainboard) is capable of, but I'm not doing that work for him.

[also:non-answer? wtf?]
    Last edited by bad guy; 02-11-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Sure you could get really into it and and spend lots of time to get an optimal overclock.
    Or you try around (play safe and don't exagerate), and get a nice 60% of that optimal overclock with 10% of the work.

Naturally he should get a referance of what his CPU (and mainboard) is capable of, but I'm not doing that work for him.

[also:non-answer? wtf?]
    I've tried both ways. In the end, any overclock below 3.8ghz does not yield a tangible performance boost. A waste of time in other words.
    Steam profile

Any CPU performance boost is welcome when your CPU is the bottleneck and you are struggling to get decent fps.
    Last edited by bad guy; 02-11-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Any CPU performance boost is welcome when your CPU is the bottleneck and you are struggling to get decent fps.
    you did not understand me: the threshold at which a cpu boost makes a difference is 3.8ghz. Anything below that gives no boost whatsoever.
    Steam profile

stop it!
    that hurts!