Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    There's an accolade to put on my headstone.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

First post updated again, by the way. There's a couple gaps coming up on Tuesday and Thursday so if anyone wants to jump in, feel free. But so far, amazin' work everybody.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Sterling work Ian! I feel the Orc needs a little "+2 spp" floating above his head.
    Last edited by laneford; 09-12-2012 at 11:40 AM.

He maintains that the elf failed a dodge and ended up there by accident.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    All these entries are far too good; I throw in the towel!

(Not really... I'll post my offering in the early hours of the morning.)

Another very good application, I've got to roll up my sleeves!

So, what do you want for Christmas?
    A Blood Bowl story by Cyberpunkdreams

“So, what do you want for Christmas?” Macareth heard Rufus ask as she limped into the changing room on her weirwood crutches.
    “Don’t be stupid,” replied Dindia. “Christmas is for coaches... just another one of their stupid superstitions.”
    “Yeah, I’ll drink to that,” added his buddy Ethiltor. “I’ll settle for a touchdown and MVP today though.”
    Bruce laughed. “With that ankle of yours, you’d be lucky even to get into their half!”
    “Yeah, yeah, yeah...”
    Naellara, the teams star scorer, was admonishing today’s journeyman about how to throw the ball to him. “I want it coming in like this,” he gestured, “Not bombing in at my head. It’s not like you’re going to get a look at the ball anyway, but if you do...”
    “Hey, what makes you think you’re going to get a look at the ball either?” sniped Sornda, the team’s rookie catcher. “Maybe the coach isn’t going to let you and your bloated ego hog the ball for once, eh?”
    Naellara snapped up the bait, like he always did, puffing up going chest to chest with Sornda. “You little twerp, I’ve been with this team since the beginning...”
    “So have I,” murmured Vicelin. “Now simmer down you two. And leave the merc alone.” She didn’t even have to raise her voice, let alone stand up, and the two catchers backed off. Vicelen was the team’s key player maker, and everyone knew it. And everyone knew what she’d done to that human lineman in their last match. “Groin strain” was a convenient euphemism for the score card. Naellara winced just thinking about it.
    Macareth winked at Vicelen. “How can you breathe in here?” she stage-whispered. “All this testosterone...”
    Vicelen just smiled. “How’s the leg?”
    “Oh, it’s doing okay. Should be fine for the next match. I’m just sorry I can’t join you out there today. I hate been stuck in here.”
    “Yeah, it sucks, not even being allowed in the dugout...”
    “Yeah... so what do you want for Christmas, anyway.”
    “Oh, I dunno,” Vicelen shrugged. “A break from all this perhaps?”
    “I know how you feel... still, last match before Christmas right, so we’ll have a bit of a break then. I know you though, you’ll go stir crazy after a couple of weeks.”
    “Yeah, yeah, I know.” Vicelen stood up and clapped her hands. “Come on guys, showtime! Let’s go!”
    Vicelen and Macareth hugged quickly as the team trooped out into the light. “You be careful out there,” Macareth whispered.
    “Don’t worry, I will.”

“Christ, hard to believe we’re only halfway through this thing,” Rufus groaned. He was lying on his back, having his calf muscles worked over. “We’re getting pummelled out there.”
    “Yeah, but we’re going to win,” said Sornda. “One up at halftime and receiving the kick-off...”
    “Win?” raged Naellara. “Fucking win? How are we supposed to fucking win when the only guy who knows how to throw the fucking ball has his fucking hand wrapped up in fucking ten inches of bandages? Are you going to fucking pass to me?”
    Macareth looked over at Vicelen. She recognised the expression on the wardancer’s face straight away. It said don’t go there. Tense. Vicelen was tense, and that was never a good sign.
    Bruce, the team’s only thrower, had his hand stamped on after taking a bad block near the halfway line. The ref was looking the other way, needless to say. It would recover fine, but he was out for the match. Vicelen had dived through the gap and freed up the ball before running it in, but it wasn’t the only injury so far. The second half was going to be tough.

Macareth sat in the changing room, waiting for the match to end, her gorge in her throat. She’d heard the crowd roar in that particular way that always meant blood. Lots of blood. Who was is going to be this time?
    She heard the whistle go, and her teammates finally trooped in, bloodied and broken, defeat all over their faces. Ten of them. Not eleven. Ten. Rufus was the last in, limping heavily on his bad ankle.
    “Rufus?” Macareth asked. “Rufus, where’s Vicelen? Where’s...”
    “I’m so sorry... I’m so...” Macareth looked down. He wasn’t holding his own helmet, he was holding a wardancer’s helmet. Vicelen’s helmet.
    Macareth’s knees went; she dropped to the floor with a painful thud. Her eyes didn’t seem to want to focus. Somehow she was holding the helmet. It was badly dented and splattered with blood and grey matter. Tooth marks from the apothecary's saw marched across it.
    “She’s...? She’s...?” Dead. The word wouldn’t come out.
    Rufus took a deep breath, tears pricking his eyes. “I don’t know what to say... we all loved her...”
    “How...?”
    “She... it was tight, she got, she got pushed into the crowd... this guy with a rock...” Rufus shrugged, tears running down his face now. “Such a... the apothecary tried to save her, but... but... “ His voice trailed off. “If it’s any consolation, the coach is finding out where the guy lives...”
    Macareth didn’t really hear. The outside world was at the end of a long tunnel. She didn’t hear the merc saying, “Hey, at least we won.” She didn’t hear Oakleaf’s fist connecting with his jaw. She didn’t hear Naellara weeping quietly in the corner.
    She looked down at her sister’s bloodied, broken helmet. “So,” she whispered, “what do you want for Christmas?”
    Last edited by cyberpunkdreams; 10-12-2012 at 03:35 AM.

Good stuff. Elven misery is always a winner. :)

That's sad, but then that's all that elves deserve.

Network Hub
    I have been enormously enjoying every day of this. I did indeed go back through Ian's first day and play through multiple times. And cyber, your contribution is just...dark.

There's a bit of me that saw it coming, and was waiting for the punchline and was then just thinking, "Oh. ...Oh dear."
    Started writing a blog for video games, roleplaying, game mechanics, and AARs.

http://dentharial.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dentharial View Post
    And cyber, your contribution is just...dark.
    Well, I thought we needed something to spice it up a little ;).

Well, thanks to the guys who commented, but I guess that was a bit of a damp squib, sorry... I guess I should have stuck with Paint after all ;)

Network Hub
    This thread is turribly awesome.

Nice one cyber, if maybe a bit... coldhearted for this time of year. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Thoroughly bloodbowly though, good job!

You'd better have something good for us tomorrow, Boots. I'm eager for more after a day of no advent goodness. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Not at all cyber, nice to see a story with a happy ending (ie a dead elf). :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    Not at all cyber, nice to see a story with a happy ending (ie a dead elf). :-)
    You guys are all heartless! Heartless I say!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You'd better have something good for us tomorrow, Boots. I'm eager for more after a day of no advent goodness. :)
    Argh! Pressure!

Real life has interfered with my more ambitious plans, but I'm planning something fair to middling. Possibly even passable. Potentially even respectable. Aiming high!

If an extra day off would make a massive difference, you could shift to the 13th which is (I think) the last empty day.