Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    To be fair, Gap, I don't care what happens to your corps. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gap Gen View Post
    I think facing a significantly larger enemy helped make things interesting. The enemy did come in waves, rather than hitting us in one go, and a couple of times they pulled back when I thought they were about to break our lines. After a while, as with any game, humans get better than the AI at tactics, so adding more men is an easy way to even the playing field.
    Exactly my thoughts! I'm just modifying some custom OOBs so the enemy has some more men.
    In yesterdays game, the enemy had +25% more men and it was a Hunt em down game. For a defend game, the ratio could be up to +50% I think.

Obscure Node
    Firstly that was a great game - best ive had in for ages.

Apologies to Monty that was not my best performance - I got lost a few times on the march (stupid map did not show road names) and got delayed and dispersed in the Southern reaches of the map chasing down reformed Rebel infantry and artillery. By the time I had disengaged (not easy I had to TC of basically all the infantry to stop them deploying aginst reb artillery) I arrived late to the final act on McPhersons ridge - but was able to flank the enemy and roll them up nicely.

A tough days battle my command was down to 50% effectives with the Iron Brigade very hard hit.

Marching past the bodies scattered on Cementary Hill was pretty amazing it must have being an epic battle.

I will be around tonight from 19.30 GMT.

Also, it turns out I was the only member of my corps with a usable map. I recommend this minimap mod:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/mod...ap-screens-mod

Be advised, there aren't place names for the Antietam maps.

Obscure Node
    Definately think giving the AI a 20% or so advantage in the OOBs is the way to go - I also think that we are all good enough now to handle divisions as the smallest units.

A corpe each army game would also work but possibly as the Union as the large Rebel Corps would pretty much mean everyone would be fighting there own battle.

Obscure Node
    Yes, a game where you don't see interact with another human's command isn't much fun. Although when I was cut off and trapped by a force three times my size and forced to retreat, it was pretty fun, but the best thing about the last game was working with people, taking order from Gobbler and passing them to Leffe and Ice.

Also, Monty, your corps can burn in hell. You weren't there when the rebs came storming up Cemetery Hill. YOU WEREN'T THERE, MAN.

Yeah, sorry about that but my corps was too busy at the time saving the army from disaster!

Monty, if you were on cem hill and saw what the XI corps has seen... you would tell this epic tale your grandchilds.

From my point of view as a division commander under gap gen it all started very slowly and uneventful. Watching the whole army wander off to different directions while marching through each other was funny for a while. But reaching my destination meant a long march following Ice's division. So I was very happy when my quartermaster suggested having dinner before any fighting would begin. I agreed and gave the marching orders to my two competent brigade commanders.
    What felt like 5min later, I was abruptly bothered when several couriers brought letters with questions on where the hell my boys were marching to. As I learned, they were just about to march directly in some rebel division near cemetary hill. But miraculously, the enemy fell back before any shot was fired and I gave the order to halt and deploy into battle lines. And so cem hill was taken peacefully by the union troops with me on cem hill, ice on my left and an AI div on his left. The rebels were seen in ghettysburg and far away to the west. The XI corps probed the enemy but had to fall back facing larger enemy troops or it would have been flanked on the far left. The enemy attacked me too, but not with much pressure yet. Suddenly a lot of rebels emerged out of the city and assaulted my brigade on the right. My men lost most of hand-fighting and some troops routed or were captured. The enemy had many losses too, taking many cannister shots, before my guns routed too there. I lost half my command but thanks to Ice, we could hold our position. Then looking around I suddenly saw a fresh rebel brigade lurking around behind us in the south. We were in danger of being surrounded. Some soldiers were already shouting "we are doomed!" Gap wanted to give the front troops on cem hill time to rest and ordered them back while I kept an eye to the south. But that was when the real fight just started. Wave after wave of rebels attacked us. No time to rest at all. Each time when we thought "that was tough, but we prevailed" soon another fresh brigade attacked again and again. We fought for mere survival. I was glad when I saw that the rebels to the south attacked Ali instead of us so we had just one front at least.
    After cem hill, i had lost 75% of my men and 50% of my guns. What a bloody fight!

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/63...DD2F5A0248B68/

Obscure Node
    Im sure you guys are exaggerating - Cementary Hill is a nice strong position that should be easily held against piecemeal attacks by an entire Corps.

We were busy protecting the Armys Southern flank.

Better save it for the court of enquiry.

Hi guys. Seems like you're having a blast with SoW.
    Have the stability problems gotten better?

Obscure Node
    Hi Blob, it's an entirely courier-based issue. We've had no crashes when trying without couriers on some quite big games. We'd like to use couriers as it's one of the unique selling-points of the game, but we can't yet as we'll spend an hour marching and crash shortly after first contact, so we're using steam chat or the in-game chat.

That's a pity. At least the problem has been identified.

This our thread on the NSD forums: http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/tec...crashing#42380

Network Hub
    this looks like fun but damm expensive.

The amount of use we've got out of this game I would say the price, 32+VAT (GB 19 + Antietam 13), is worth it.
    http://www.scourgeofwar.com/purchase.shtml

Also, support your indie devs!

Obscure Node
    Hi, I've come here having read your great AAR on the NSD forum and hope you don't mind me asking a question here.

I've recently been trying to forward my 31791 port so I can host MP games and I'm failing miserably. Has anyone here managed to do this on a BT Voyager 2100 router or similar? I'd be very grateful for any advice on this.

Are you recruiting more players, btw? I've been playing so far with the GCM group but would like to play at more civilised hours (for me, in the UK).

Thanks in advancew for any help.

Jeff aka Blaugrana

Is this of any use? http://portforward.com/english/route...00/default.htm

Also, all newcomers are welcome! Join our Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSSOW

Obscure Node
    Thanks very much Monty, for both the info and the invite.

Actually, I hope I've sorted it - I have just hosted a game :-) It was a problem with the static IP I was using.

I shall shoot over to the Steam page as soon as I can - have to let family get on the PC, which I've been hogging.

Thanks again,

Obscure Node
    We tend to play around 7pm Friday/Saturday GMT (yes, we are cool) but if you have Steam on then occasionally events will pop up when we want to play.

Giving the enemy a slight numerical advantage really does level the playing field. That last game trying to take the wooded hill was an absolute fiasco - I completely misjudged the enemy's strength on its flank, my hill assault just completely fell apart, and it sounds like the other flank wasn't much better. Leffe did pretty well holding the centre, but the enemy was just too strong and too well dug-in on the objective. That's not to denigrate Alikchi's leadership - the enemy were simply too strong and in too good a position, and my attempt to lure them off the hill failed.

Seems like its tactic is to put half its force on the objective and to send the other half out to hunt down and grind the enemy, hopefully wearing it out before it gets there. It failed in the I and XI Corps game, but succeeded marvellously in the last one (although I don't know if we could have taken that hill fresh, given that my division was in pretty good shape by the time it pitched in).