Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsherhod View Post
    In a perfect world, there would be no need for Steam.
    In a perfect world, I would have chocolade pancakes right now.
    currently playing: XCOM: Enemy Within

Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Quote Originally Posted by Makariel View Post
    In a perfect world, I would have chocolade pancakes right now.
    In a perfect world you would be sharing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    'According to' isn't quite the same as demonstrating. Still clearly you're unable to see that distinction.
    I see the distinction, but what Roberts demonstrated didn't really blow me away. I backed his KS on the premise of what he achieved before and what he promises (or at least suggests) but the "tech" he showed wasn't all that impressive yet.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    I see the distinction, but what Roberts demonstrated didn't really blow me away. I backed his KS on the premise of what he achieved before and what he promises (or at least suggests) but the "tech" he showed wasn't all that impressive yet.
    You're welcome to back whomever you like (it's no skin off my nose at the end of the day). I'm just saying that Roberts presentation does a better job of selling his idea. Braben is just hoping to trade off 20 year old good will, and expecting people to see that as reason enough. Same act of hubris that Loot drop fell into. At the very least he should of been showing some working proof of concept to give people an idea as to what they will be getting as a final product.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 12-11-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    You're welcome to back whomever you like (it's no skin off my nose at the end of the day). I'm just saying that Roberts presentation does a better job of selling his idea. Braben is just hoping to trade off 20 year old good will, and expecting people to see that as reason enough. Same act of hubris that Loot drop fell into. At the very least he should of been showing some working proof of concept to give people an idea as to what they will be getting as a final product.
    I sure won't argue that I would feel better about it if he showed at least something.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

I'd like another Elite or something similar as much as anyone, but I refuse to back this nonsense. I don't care who you are, if you can't even take the time to put together a proper pitch on something you have supposedly been working on/thinking about for years there is no way in hell I'm giving you money. Especially from someone who is a professional in the industry and should know better. These kind of pitches are pretty horrible in general and should not be supported. As much as I would like to play a new Elite, I sincerely hope it fails. Hell, I'm more inclined to throw money at Blakemore then Braben based on their pitches, at least you know what you're getting into with that nutter.

Wow, this thread was pretty far down. Here's some absurdity that'll get it back on the radar:

Drew Wagar wants you to pledge 4500 to him on Kickstarter so he can pledge 4500 to the Elite Kickstarter, so Braben will license him to write a novel set in the Elite universe.

What the actual fuck. You'd have to be a writer to come up with this.

He's actually going to make it, as well.

Well, why not? It's funny but whatever, y'know? If the guy really wants to write an Elite novel and people really want to help him...
    There's no manifesto. There's no formal plan.
    Steam

It's not that I want him to fail, not at all. I couldn't care less, in fact. I just can't believe that this is something that actually happens.

I noticed Alec wrote this piece of news this as a postscript to the Elite dev diary, but I hadn't seen it until just now.

Hah, well, I didn't think you did :D

I think that the tier exists in the Elite kickstarter when no game does is more than a little problematic (more so when you consider they've agreed outside negotiations at possibly half price if the game doesn't fully fund) but it's definitely an intriguing use of Kickstarter.

Reckon he missed a trick by not having a tier where you could use one character of his novel for 2,500 or something though.
    There's no manifesto. There's no formal plan.
    Steam

Obscure Node
    2 days left and almost there: last stretch guys.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lite-dangerous

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    It looks like some 20 tiers opened up, in case paying close to $50 for a Kickstarter was the holdup for anyone. Oh and I think they added a limited 25 tier, as well. Still don't want.

53 Hours, and less than 12,000 left to get. I'll call that a success!! Seen as they've got about 40,000 in the 4 hours since I looked at it last. Yay! Well done to them, all the best for the Development now. They've done well with the KS and its initial state... shown they can do a fair bit of work with the pressure on, in a short time. This is the sort of game I'd want ahead of Robert's Space Industry what-have-you... was always an Elite child rather than a Wing-Commander child. Luckily though, we can have both.

Also... Happy Birthday David Braben. He's 49 today. I guess 1.4 million, or however much they end up with, to develop a new instalment of one of the most beloved gaming series ever is quite the present. Or his new House in the Country or whatever.

Ok... Less than 11,000 left to go. They got 1,000 in the 3 minutes it took me to type this.

10,000 needed now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Aaaaand done.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    They already have DLC for game omg and they didn't even start making it,so cheap.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Under 2 hours to go, and it doesn't look like they'll be putting out any more stretch goals. They've got Mac Support (1.4mil), and 10 extra playable craft (1.5mil). I think, with the extra money they've got from PayPal, the total is going to be just shy of 1.6mil. Also, somewhat surprisingly, it's the highest Kickstarter Goal to be funded successfully, ever. Congrats to Mr Braben and everyone at Frontier. Now to wait ~15 months 'til it releases.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Didn't support it because I don't know how it'll turn out, but well done to them and I hope that it turns into a fantastic game which I might pick up on release.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Didn't support it because I don't know how it'll turn out, but well done to them and I hope that it turns into a fantastic game which I might pick up on release.
    Yup, I'm the same. Though I'm afraid that with projects like that, we'll see a release sometime in 2018...

RIIISEEE FROM THE DEAAAADDDD...

It does seem development is moving very slowly for this game. Whereas other kickstarter updates give a lot of information and insight into the design / production status of the games it seems that Elite updates focus on 'making pretty looking ships', fan fiction and some of the more philosophical areas of universe and structure design. I'm not hitting the panic button yet - as judging by their rather public request for stock exchange listing, their financial status seems heathy... but is VERY low key for one of the biggest funded Kickstarters and a sequel to one of the most iconic games in history.

Have they given any deadlines about completing the game?

I wouldn't want my six-months-old prediction above to come true.