Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rock Paper Skynet: AI War Multiplayer

Hello. In sight of the new expansion, is there anybody up for some coop mayhem?
    CWalker00> SKYDANCER YOU UTTER BOLLOCKS

Damn I wish I had time for this :(

Yeah, pity it takes so much time!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm interested and have the time, but the extent of my AI War experience is going through the tutorial more than a year ago.

I would advise you to play it a bit for yourself before going through multiplayer, as the more players are participating, the more asshole the AIs become. You'd need a general comprehension of the game mechanics and how to raid planets etc., otherwise you'll be probably be stampeded after some waves.
    Mind you, I could teach you stuff on the fly, but it's a game that takes time to understand logically; if we can find some more players, we could have a lower difficulty setting training match.

Obscure Node
    I would likely be up for this sort of thing, but it would depend on when was good for other people's schedules and my own.

Yes, the more players you get, the less probable is we can get the game to an end since it takes so long-

Obscure Node
    Indeed, but with Champions and shared control/helper roles, we could have some effective "Drop in" slots, at least if my theorycrafting is correct.

Yes, correct. But this means everybody's got to have the expansion!

Obscure Node
    You do raise a valid point.

AI War multiplayer, in the absence of serious friends, has some potential caveats. I've had some good fun in multiplayer, and some disasters, but only ever completed games when solo. If everyone isn't on the same page, or you have a spoilsport or someone with a bad playstyle, it can be very painful to clean up their messes, or for someone else to play their position when absent (due to variance in strategies and execution). The AI War forums have a dedicated playerbase who are more likely to be reliable partners. If anyone does just want to learn the game and mess around, please be upfront about it.

In one sense, AI War is always about learning something new and tackling new challenges, so these aren't reasons not to play, but it's a game that requires some smarts and planning and patience and dedication.

the more players are participating, the more asshole the AIs become.
    the more players you get, the less probable is we can get the game to an end
    IIRC, there's now a mode where you can share co-op control instead of the traditional system that adds an extra "side" for each player. This might be an easier way to play with misc extra players (or tutor them, or allow spectating), so you could have an ongoing game but not accumulate extra factions and difficulty changes as players come and go. Writing a brief ongoing AAR and posting saves and screens could help players follow it and drop-in to assist without being totally uninformed.

Obscure Node
    I'd be interested in some multiplayer, so long as people are okay with the fact that I suck. I've not touched AI War in almost two years now, and have thus forgotten 99% of the game. But losing is fun:)

Network Hub
    I am an utter noob at this game but consider me interested.

Network Hub
    I'm also inexperienced with this game. I'd be interested in playing a game with people, preferably with Mumble so we can discuss what to do.

Network Hub
    Alright, who wants to join me for a nub practice easy game? I assume we're all in the RPS steam group?

Network Hub
    I'd be interested. I have quite a lot of time, but I have to know a bit in advance. I used to play a little of AI War but I never got good enough at it. I think I just need a nudge in the right direction.

EDIT: Also I'd like to know approx. how much time to reserve.
    Last edited by Pirate; 22-10-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Network Hub
    From what I've heard you should reserve approximately 70 consecutive hours. Honestly though, I have no idea. How does a test run tomorrow or Thursday sound to people?

Network Hub
    Tomorrow is Planetside Wednesday. I could make Thursday most likely.

Network Hub
    Thursday sounds ok.
    When I asked how much time do I need I meant per session. 4-5 hours ?

I can't make it during weekday evenings sadly, can set aside an afternoon though, or a weekend (this Sunday evening for example).

Also, you can play in as small batches as you want, even one hour warrantees some advancement. 4-5 straight hours are a bit of a slog!