Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Activated Node

Wot comedians make you laugh?

Preface: I have searched and searched but couldn't find any topics covering the above. If indeed there is one and I have missed it, I most sincerely apologise.

Having a laugh! Science tells us this is a healthy activity. Isn't that part of the reason we visit this glorious blog? :P So what could be more natural than to share favorite comedians. The idea behind this post is to share such knowledge; I myself only know of a handful of comedians outside my country's borders, but wish to expand my repertoire.

So, lets get this ball rolling! My favorite comedians are (in no particular order):

- Eddie Izzard
    - Bill Bailey
    - Dylan Moran
    - Billy Connolly
    - Lewis Black

I highly recommend all of the above. Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey and Izzard for their clever, oddball sort of humour. Billy Connolly for his incredible ability to improvise and just talk and Lewis Black for when you want long, angry rants.
    Last edited by Firkragg; 06-11-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: L2spell "Repertoire"
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    i love QI. so various panelists on that show make me laugh... some more some less yet I enjoy the variety.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    i love QI. so various panelists on that show make me laugh... some more some less yet I enjoy the variety.
    I love most of them on panel but I'm not really fond of stand up because it's just joke after joke after joke.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Same with me. I don't watch a lot of stand-up anymore, but I'm a big fan of British panel shows, particularly "QI" and "Would I lie to you?". Rob Brydon, Johnny Vegas, Sandi Toksvig, Phil Jupitus, Jimmy Carr, David Mitchell, Lee Mack, there's a lot of genuinely funny people featured on the BBC.

I'm also a big fan of the duo Ursus and Nadeschkin, but I doubt many people outside of Switzerland have heard of them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Jimmy Carr's stand-up is very entertaining if you don't mind things a little rough. Considering your list, Firkragg, I also recommend Ricky Gervais' stuff, as well as Tim Minchin (I'm 99% sure based off your list you'll like him):

Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Rowan Atkinson - Primarily for Blackadder and this solo-show he did.
    Ricky Gervais - More for the standup than the Office.
    Eddie Murphy - Raw and Delirious
    For some reason I really dug Simon Amstell's run as host of Never mind the buzzcocks, never seen much of the show otherwise, or Simon Amstell for that matter.

I'm a sucker for panel shows. QI, 8 out of 10 Cats, Would I Lie To You?, Have I Got News For You, all that stuff.

There are comedians whose stand up had previously irritated me (Jimmy Carr being a prime example) but I got into it more after having seen them on panel shows/in interviews.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Seven posts in, George Carlin hasn't been mentioned yet. What has the world come to?

Louis CK makes me laugh very hard. NFSW clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmban3Fio14
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I used to like QI but it's a bit stale now.

For stand-up I only really like Tim Vine: unending puns well-delivered.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Dara O'Briain, especially his bits on games:

Louis CK is great.
    Anthony Jeselnik.
    Gallagher.
    George Carlin.
    Daniel Tosh.
    Jon Reep, Metro Jethro
    Lookin' 4 Indie Bundles? We track 'em! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker

Someone should probably mention Doug Stanhope. So that's sorted then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I don't like much standup, but:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Stewert Lee is great because he makes you laugh and think about the world and its problems. Louis CK is similar in his style especially on his show.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    The holy trinity of Bruce, Hicks and Stanhope.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Stewart Lee and Bill Hicks for when you want to laugh, then think afterwards.

I also rather like Sean Lock, just think he has fantastic joke delivery and I like comedians who seem to hate pretty much everything. See also Dylan Moran and Jerry Sadowitz.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Seconding and thirding CK and Stanhope.

Also: Patton Oswalt, Todd Barry, Tig Notaro, Maria Bamford and Mark Maron. And David Cross. And Aziz! And a few others I'm forgetting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    A lot of great stuff mentioned so far. Have to say I'm rather surprised Ross Noble has yet to get a mention (especially considering he'd undoubtedly appeal to the the OP based on their taste. Saw him live the other week, he didn't shirk away from the Jimmy Savile jokes and was as sharp as ever at improv off the audience (though I feel I've seen so much of his stuff now that I can start to tell the difference between a segue into prepared material and genuinely off the cuff comments).

On the lesser known front I saw a short set from Kate Lucas at Bestival and think she's one to look out for. This isn't one for the easily offended and you can see the punchline coming from miles away, but it's brilliantly delivered and has lots of "haha, ooh wait did she just say that? Did I really laugh at that?" moments.