Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

A Weird Game Called The EXperiment

I found this in a clearance sale of one of local game store for USD2. You the protagonist is however not the true main character. The main character is a girl who was stranded on a grounded cargo ship along with you. But you and the girl are separated and you are in the CCTV control room. CCTV system is rather odd in this ship that all CCTVs are equipped with mic, so you and the girl can communicate, but the girl wouldnt be able to see you (rather perverted huh). You would send instructions to her for the objectives. This game has another title, experience 112. I guess it's the title used by another publisher of this game. I found one such gameplay trailer:

I guess this game is rather old, consider it comes with 2 CDs, rather obsolete storage medium, huh.

This genre is quite niche but this is not the only one. For Playstation 2 there was one such game called Lifeline (published by Konami, but I think Sony is the developer, dont know why Sony would need for another publish house to publish their work for their own platform). That involves a guy who guides a gorgeous (usual Jap anime art style) waitress in a space station out of harm's way. That game requires a USB mic as the input system, which was not bundled with the software (damn, and the same story, Sony had prices of everything dedicated for its systems inflated). This game, however, replace voice input with script input so that you dont need an extra piece of hardware and, of course, the developer may have difficulty to develop a decent voice system.
    Last edited by squirrel; 04-11-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This game rocks. It is available digitally at GamersGate:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-112/the-experiment-112

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's really interesting though very, very difficult. I want to replay it but the most annoying thing originally was the lack of room for windows on screen, I'd snap up an updated version that worked at modern resolutions right away.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    This game rocks. It is available digitally at GamersGate:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-112/the-experiment-112
    DRM free?!

Come to think of it, I dont need to put disc in the drive and I dont recall any online activation during installation. Yahoo~~~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I played the demo right at release time, and I thought it was great. An adventure game with indirect control it's not something I see everyday. I already own it on GG DRM-Free, but it's sitting on my backlog.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

It was a very neat idea, but a little bit flawed. Some of the early puzzles made it seem quite promising, with the Pascal squares or something, but it seemed to hit the peak of complexity quite early on. Felt a bit bland after a while. The indirect control thing is neat, and all the cameras and that, but I don't remember the puzzles being any fun after a while, just fetch and find. And I can't remember the story... so it probably wasn't that good. And there's a nightmare bit of backtracking, iirc... maybe I just messed it up though. Certainly give it a shot, it is quite unique, but it wasn't a great game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

I've never seen a game like this before , thanks for sharing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I picked this up from Gamersgate a while back and had a nice time with it, though I didn't get particularly far. It's a neat concept in a genre that really needed them, and it really deserved more attention.

I did feel, though, that they threw away a great opportunity though, when the woman you're aiding instantly twigs, with no clue at all, that you're watching, unable to speak or find her, and that you're there to help and she should trust and obey you without question. Taking the same set-up and having you guide someone (or even a handful of separate people) who is freaked the hell out by the whole thing could be very interesting, especially if they took time to even realise someone was watching.

I love Experience 112,really unique take on the adventure genre,damn shame so very few heard of it.

I remember seeing a preview for this in the official playstation 2 magazine, a long long time ago.

Ok, i could need some help. Where the heck do i find the other ingredients for the whateveritwascalled medicine? I found the first one in the opened safe.

This fucking game.

This goddam game made me cry in public when I first saw it in a shop. I had the exact same idea and was learning to code when I see this fucker peeping at me. I mean it's identical, using the camera tilt to nod or shake my head, turning lights on and off to guide the trapped character, attaching a laser pointer to the camera to pick out individual buttons for the character to press. Not only is it the exact same game, it's better than I could have made it.

It's also worth mentioning its made by the same team that did In Memoriam. A team of mad geniuses. Who are now making French McDonalds promotional games.

Goddamn.

Speaking of Lifeline
    http://www.g4tv.com/videos/34793/x-p...w/#video-61594

If ever there was a leaderboard for great ideas crippled by hardware limitations this would be the reigning king.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 23-11-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran