Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

WIT: Far Cry 3 (Very pleasant surprise!!!!)

Anyone reading it,so far it sounds as good game :D

"Far Cry 3 is one of the most pleasing uses of an open-world structure I have seen in a mainstream game. It balances the need to have a plot with the freedom to mess about in the margins with the requirement for a detailed world that seems to be carrying on without you. The vignettes and happenings mean that you donít feel as if the world is revolving around you, while at the same time what is happening to you is the most important thing going on in that world. Itís a tricky tightrope to walk, and Ubisoft Montreal have been dancing all over it.

This is a marvellous game which understands how and why open world games are thrilling. Itís also layered in skill trees, and a (largely superfluous) inventory, to make this game feel like it has a lot more going on than some other open-world shooters we could mention. The result is a little Skyrim-with-guns, yes, but in Skyrim I never caused two bandit jeeps to crash into each other, only to set fire to half of the jeep passengers with the flamethrower, and watch the other half be eaten alive by giant lizards. No, sir.

I want to stress that the story is pretty good, at least if you delete the memory of the ridiculous Uncharted-like mystic bullshit section, narrated by the gameís most annoying character, which is excruciating. Apart from that section of tomb-leaping awfulness, itís well told, with some interesting characters, and it even has a few touching moments. You are not a silent protagonist, either, and this gives is an odd feeling at times, watching yourself interact with other characters, muttering comments that arenít your own. It does work, though. And a couple of times itís really accomplished. Even with the absurdity of a random American kid being mystically inspired to be a warrior, and going from crying about stabbing someone in the first few minutes to not crying about burning people alive in their dozens just minutes later (and in fact being pretty pleased with the flamethrower).

Itís a nonsense pulp fiction, of course, but arenít they all? This is just one of the better ones. Normally I would just be focusing on the achievements of a dev team working in sandboxy modes, but this isnít just about the open world, no. I genuinely wanted to see what happened. An all too-rare feeling in shooterland.

The PC port is largely pleasing. You can alter the FOV a bit, with a slider, and itís possible to play in a borderless window, making it easy to tab out and tell John about killing a crocodile with a landmine. It also looks pretty damned good, running well on my machine, and with plenty of detail turned up. And the detail options are wide ranging, with multiple options for texture detail, post-processing, and so forth. It supports MSAA anti-aliasing, and you can turn off mouse acceleration. All in all, a good showing from the options department.

Itís occasional, granted, but it is there, and it highlights the checkpoint-based saving system (although you can save at any time in the menu, too), which I had not otherwise paid much attention to. I think a checkpoint save largely works here Ė it means that a death is a big hit in terms of time (while at the same time you never lose too much) Ė but the crashes highlighted that I was being pinged back across the island to the last thing that had happened.
    Does this mean it has no quicksave function?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Hopefully can console one in somehow

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Four words : peer to peer multiplayer. (yes I am aware people play it for the sp) Game junnalism preview didn't mention that, did it.

Its single player WIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Four words : peer to peer multiplayer. (yes I am aware people play it for the sp) Game junnalism preview didn't mention that, did it.
    Yes. It did.

Far Cry 3 is a huge thing, and I am only really reporting on the lavish single-player campaign here. There’s co-op and true multiplayer, too (although no dedicated servers, as our newsfeed previously noted). There’s even a map editor app for multiplayer, as there was with Far Cry 2.
    You didn't read it, did you? Also, as DaftPunk says, this is a WIT specifically about the single player campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post

You didn't read it, did you? Also, as DaftPunk says, this is a WIT specifically about the single player campaign.

[/QUOTE]

But reading is hard :(

Banned
    It could be good game. dunno. it feel like poor mans crysis. and you know how every site give any big game a 9.

Banned
    Wow 10/10 from Eurogamer plus the praise from RPS.

I've gone and preordered.

Well it certainly sounds good based on the WIT. But Far Cry sounded good when I read about it, and when I got it I found it incredibly boring. And Far Cry 2 felt like a really good game until all the countless niggles, naggles and wonkabouts started punching me in the face to the point that everything fun in the game just sort of died under their weight. So I'm kinda reserved about this now. Sale fodder, mayhaps.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Preorder via Ubi store $60, Steam $50? As much as I've been waiting for this game I'm going to have to wait for a drop.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Preorder from GMG for... whatever it costs with a 25% off code: GMG25-G4VDR-0ZL4Q
    They also have a 20% off code on the main page. Someone on NeoGAF posted this one for 30% off: GMG30-0S3NJ-32J92

I have no idea what's going on so try them all.

Aparently GMG doesn't have rights to sell in NA, so while the Far Cry 3 page exists, non-EU customers do not see a Preorder button.

So do we know if there's fov greater than 5 available? Specifically 90+?
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Yeah I was surprised. I had kind of written off Far Cry 3, but I'm delighted that it turned out well.

I've got so many good games to play at the moment though. Natural Selection 2, Planetside 2 and Assassin's Creed 3 are going to take up most of my December so I might not buy FC3 immediately; I'm definitely buying it though.

Jim said in the comments to the WIT, about the FOV slider...

"It’s a multiplier of the standard one, rather than in degrees. Goes up to 1.5, I think, so I guess that’s about 90? Maybe."

So there is FOV options, but it might not be 90+.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel- View Post
    It could be good game. dunno. it feel like poor mans crysis. and you know how every site give any big game a 9.

Like i wrote,this is WIT (Wot I Think) from RPS guys which are pasionate PC gamers and i trully trust their opinion. And for your comment its like poor mans crysis,what the hell men,you know there was Far Cry before crysis which had same open levels as Crysis and Warhead,then FC2 came which was more open then crysis and same is going to be with FC3.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Like i wrote,this is WIT (Wot I Think) from RPS guys which are pasionate PC gamers and i trully trust their opinion. And for your comment its like poor mans crysis,what the hell men,you know there was Far Cry before crysis which had same open levels as Crysis and Warhead,then FC2 came which was more open then crysis and same is going to be with FC3.
    Far Cry has precisely nothing to do with Far Cry 2 or 3. You do know this, right?

Also, in terms of openness Far Cry & Crysis really aren't comparable to Far Cry 2 and 3; the former two had wide open but ultimately linear levels, the latter two are actual open world games. They don't occupy the same sub-genre.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Like i wrote,this is WIT (Wot I Think) from RPS guys which are pasionate PC gamers and i trully trust their opinion..

Why would you trust their opinions? This was entirely predictable. It could only ever be 1 of 2 things:

1. FC3 - A wonderful open world game that is open and stuff. Buy it if you know that open world games that glorify the powers of the lone player are the only first person games worth playing.

2. FC3 - An open world game that is good if you play it a certain way but fails in some big technical or other qualities. You should still buy it and play it how we tell you it is best.

That is all RPS does anymore for open world first person games. They will whine about linear cinematic shooters, gush about indie platformers, show vague interest in RTS and racing but not really want to get into it, go into discussion about RPGs that they like only if they are like RPGs from the early 2000s otherwise they will feel ambivalent about them...

You only come here for reviews if you want those opinions of categories of games. It will be that opinion each time with a bit of variance depending on quality, same overall theme. It is pretty predictable and the WIT are hardly worth reading anymore. The other articles are usually better and their group reviews are more likely to let you know about the game.
    Last edited by Misnomer; 22-11-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Far Cry has precisely nothing to do with Far Cry 2 or 3. You do know this, right?

Also, in terms of openness Far Cry & Crysis really aren't comparable to Far Cry 2 and 3; the former two had wide open but ultimately linear levels, the latter two are actual open world games. They don't occupy the same sub-genre.

I know first FC is made by CryTek thats why i said that. Diesel was saying FC is like poor man Crysis..