Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Curiosity is out. IOS and Android only.

So far we have a 3D rendered cube, whose texture is updated from the server every couple of seconds. If you click on it, the view zooms in and you can click on cubes, which disappear to show the layer below.

Every cube is worth one coin. Clearing your screen of cubes gives bonus coins, and tapping fast give increasingly multiplier bonus per cube tapped, my best run is ~9000 coins. With coins you can buy bombs and fireworks to clear bigger areas, or better pickaxes I'm not sure what for.

So far layer 0 is black, layer 1 is some kind of grapeish balloons, and around 70 billion cubillets maximum

Quote Originally Posted by reddit
    From the article: 100,000,000 cubelets on the surface.
    Number of cubelets on the surface of a cube with height N:
    2N2 + 4(N-2)(N-1) = 6N2 - 12N + 8
    Solve 6N2 - 12N + 8 ==100,000,000 for N -> N = 4083.48 (well, the 100,000,000 seems to be rounded somewhat ?!)
    Total volume is N3 = 68,091,248,689 (rounded to whole number).
    Edit: Using better numbers (from the same article):
    Number of Surface cubelets: 100614262 -> height=4096.0022 (yeah, still wrong?!) -> total cubelets=68,719,476,736
    Last edited by pakoito; 06-11-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There is nothing on this earth that I could possibly give less of a fuck about. Have fun tapping on your screen like a fucking lab monkey all day. Enjoy that "Life changing" video inside there. Molyneux said it himself that it was something big, and you know he only tells it like it is.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Wow! What's with all that rage?

Things that don't concern me concern me now. I am angry!

Anyway, my plan is to swoop in at the end, chip away exactly one block and win the game. I expect some sort of car (a real one) as a prize.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    A flying car! With blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the car!

Gah. Downloaded and spent five minutes aimlessly prodding my screen watching blocks disappear. Accidentally mashed the area of screen that wanted me to connect to Facebook and it crashed. After a moment's reflection, I decided that I would likely never feel like opening that app again and so removed it from my phone.

Five minutes of my life gone, and what little curiosity I had about Molyneux's latest game/social experiment/art exhibit is now gone.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    "Error accessing server"

Well, nice job.

This shit annoys me because I think Molyneux is capable of so much better. This is one of those "it's a social experiment, maaaaan" ideas that's really just lazy, dull, and pointless. This isn't good science, it isn't good art, and it sure as fuck isn't a good game.

I love some of the descriptions in the Google Play store.

- Enjoy the addictive nature of chipping away at THE CUBE
    -
    Make beautiful music just by interacting with THE CUBE
    - Embrace THE CUBE
    - ... THE CUBE

Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    I love some of the descriptions in the Google Play store.

- Enjoy the addictive nature of chipping away at THE CUBE
    -
    Make beautiful music just by interacting with THE CUBE
    - Embrace THE CUBE
    - ... THE CUBE
    All hail our cubic overlord

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Is it a Time Cube?

If it isn't a speedboat in the middle, I'll never forgive the man.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Is that you, Rab?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I know what was in there was meant to be special, but I wasn't aware it was a special prize?

Could be fun if you didn't have to remove a whole layer to start on the underlying one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Is that you, Rab?
    Nah that's Robert Fearon (http://bagfullofwrong.co.uk/bagfullofwords/) not Robert Florence. Both not to be confused with Rob Fahey (http://www.eurogamer.net/author/57).

There are too many Rob F's in the industry and I fully expect that one day they will have to battle it out for the title of gaming's foremost Rob F.

---

As for Curiosity, I'm not in the least bit curious about it.

Network Hub
    Yeah, yeah... Curiosity is out.. I just read the news from Game Arena and guess what, they quoted Molyneux who were interviewed by Rock, Paper, Shotgun a few days ago. Well, it's nothing really, I just feel like I want to share it here. :)

I downloaded it after I've learned it's available for Android now and I can't even join the game, server problems. This was a promising game, at least, for me but when it brings a lot of disappointment rather than entertainment, I didn't have a doubt in wiping all its data out of my device.

The concept is great, but the server errors and the constant visibility of the Facebook and menu buttons on the screen is irritating. Pressing on them ends your streaks, plus it just looks bloody awful. I can imagine they had limited servers to make the game appear more popular than it is, thus pushing up demand and hype. 2/5 on my review!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    A few things...

i) It is an experiment, right? Not an actual game? In my opinion it does seem a little crappy and I hope that the message inside is 'you have wasted so much of your life'. However, there is a side of me that does still get a little excited when Molyneux talks about 22 Cans and I think maybe, just maybe, this project is so simple that it can actually live up to the hype. I guess we'll see when people get inside the cube. Since it's not an actual 'game' I think it's not fair to be too harsh on it.

ii) TotalBiscuit said in one of his recent daily news show things that he's started doing that 22 Cans is just going to develop one game. Is that right? I seem to strongly remember that in the Rezzed talk he is recruiting all sorts of different designers and programs to work on lots of different projects/games - not just the one. Am I misunderstanding and his actual intention is to do a lot of different 'experiments' that accumulate into one game?