Hybrid View

Obscure Node

RELOCK - Kickstarter needs support ASAP! Free demo out!

+ Multiplayer
    + FPS
    + Can almost guarantee you have never had a multiplayer experience like it.

In a nutshell:
    the game is about manipulating a firearm in the most realistic way as possible in a multiplayer environment with some really crazy customisation.

Link: http://kck.st/TYULtQ

Relock throws you straight into the deep end. There is documentation available for beginners but using the firearm is completely up to you - No hand holding.

Weapon manipulation is done by using the keyboard to its full extent; pressing 'R' does not reload by itself anymore. In the demo you need to hold down 'R' and tap 'E' to eject the magazine; once the magazine is out you can release the 'R' key.
    Then tap 'T' to re-insert the magazine. Finally tap 'Q' to release the slide forward if it is locked back.

This sounds very complicated but after 10-15 mins of gameplay you get the hang of it. Weapon manipulation isn't limited to reloading; the demo has some features taken out.

You can probably guess that multiplayer will be very interesting with these controls. In closed testing we have had some amazing games.

It is inspired by Magicka, Skate, Arma, CSS and an indie game reciever but it commonly gets referred to as reciever with multiplayer :s this is not intentional - Relock isn't meant to physically represent any games it was inspired by. Similarities are because the main game mechanic are the same and that there are no hands; please do not let this distract from what the game is trying to become.

Next week a closed multiplayer test build of the game is going up for all who pledge, this demo features hands and character models.

It's in Alpha so the demo has many bugs.

Last edited by boolean; 08-11-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: linkage

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    So it's like Receiver, then.

And you haven't included a link.

EDIT: Sorry, must have skipped over your mention of Receiver. It's late...
    Seems like Receiver is getting multiplayer too, btw.
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 07-11-2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: reading comprehension fail

Obscure Node
    Just added a link - sorry about that.

Haha no problem; multiplayer closed alpha is next week if you are interested. Should look nothing like reciever with the update.

Same development priorities; release the weapon without hands for the sake of people being able to play it without waiting.

I heard about it being implemented too which is awesome as it's open source - been working on Relock in the dark for 6 months from the ground up and multiplayer has been a core component from the get go.
    Last edited by boolean; 07-11-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Obscure Node
    Could use a bit of support with the kickstarter guys :s

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    release the demo to public if you want to garner interest. I'm not gonna pitch in to see if I want to pitch in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    release the demo to public if you want to garner interest. I'm not gonna pitch in to see if I want to pitch in.
    Unless they've made it public in the last hour, the download link is right there on the kickstarter page.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Demo is below the video. I don't know what else I can do but release the single player demo. We are having a closed multiplayer test next week for all who have pre-ordered.

After you try the single player weapon functionality demo post here to let other people know what you think of it.

I have literally just finished adding the player character w/ animations and hands etc... i'll be posting a few screenshots of the update and maybe a video if I get the time.

I really don't like how it's a rip-off of receiver only made multiplayer.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I really don't like how it's a rip-off of receiver only made multiplayer.
    http://forums.wolfire.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16929

This is the response from the Reciever community.

7000 seems a bit.. low to make an fps. But hey, KS doesnt force you to sign a contract so what the hey.

All that paranoia aside: I was part of a film kickstarter that successfully got 50k, but let me tell you, it was a drag. the film market isnt used to buying stuff for cheap, especially not indie films, and our director spent a month in the US, promoting all over the place.

He got annoying emails saying: "Are you sure I should in vest in this, because "tool XYZ" says you are bound to fail!!!111"

So please keep it cool, and plug it whenever you can. Maybe post about it on large shootery forums? IGN, PCgames, Eurogamer, penny arcade, etc.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    7000 seems a bit.. low to make an fps. But hey, KS doesnt force you to sign a contract so what the hey.

All that paranoia aside: I was part of a film kickstarter that successfully got 50k, but let me tell you, it was a drag. the film market isnt used to buying stuff for cheap, especially not indie films, and our director spent a month in the US, promoting all over the place.

He got annoying emails saying: "Are you sure I should in vest in this, because "tool XYZ" says you are bound to fail!!!111"

So please keep it cool, and plug it whenever you can. Maybe post about it on large shootery forums? IGN, PCgames, Eurogamer, penny arcade, etc.
    Yeah it seems low but let me summarise why it costs so little.
    All of the cash is going directly into development which includes art assets and artists sourced in the community, sound engineers and professional testers - all of which will get paid an amount from 5k of the 7k raised. An engine license which costs 500 of the overall funding which is not very much is also taken into consideration. If extra programmers are needed for advanced features like anti-cheat the remaining 1.5k will go to fund this. I have experience in all fields from engine programming to zbrush & pro-tools so I know exactly what I need to ask for from the contractors. If at any point there is funding left over from development I will continue to add features.

This is a very simple summary of why it costs so little.

It is exactly what is required to complete the game from alpha to release - no more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by boolean View Post
    Yeah it seems low but let me summarise why it costs so little.
    All of the cash is going directly into development which includes art assets and artists sourced in the community, sound engineers and professional testers - all of which will get paid an amount from 5k of the 7k raised. An engine license which costs 500 of the overall funding which is not very much is also taken into consideration. If extra programmers are needed for advanced features like anti-cheat the remaining 1.5k will go to fund this. I have experience in all fields from engine programming to zbrush & pro-tools so I know exactly what I need to ask for from the contractors. If at any point there is funding left over from development I will continue to add features.

This is a very simple summary of why it costs so little.

It is exactly what is required to complete the game from alpha to release - no more, no less.
    Well, I wasnt really being serious about the 7k, Im making a 7k € project myself at the moment, so its all well possible; however, 1) I hope your kickstarter picks up and 2) I sadly cant make a pledge, even though its not my cup of tea, generally, I like to fund projects that I think have promise, but Im a paypal only man.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."