Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Old Horror Movies

Suggestions,suggestions,suggestions,pretty please.

I just watched Omen 1,Rosemary baby and Excorcist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Don't look now is a good one in a similar vein to the above...

/Edit - Also, the shining, for another famous 'old' one that you might not have seen?
    Last edited by groovychainsaw; 31-10-2012 at 01:41 PM.

I'm trying to not suggest the most well-known ones because it seems like you have those covered. However, I can't get out of the 80s:

Prince of Darkness (late 80s, but a lesser-known John Carpenter that's worth watching)
    The Church (Dario Argento, late 80s again but a good companion to Prince of Darkness)
    Re-Animator & From Beyond (makes a great Jeffrey Combs/Lovecraft double bill)
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 31-10-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: links, links, links

The Evil Dead
    The Fly
    The Thing

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Are you looking for anything horror, or for specifically supernatural?

The Lawnmover. I watched it when I was very young, so let me recall what I've watched.

A scientist (let me called him handsome four eyes) working for something about exploring human brain's potential by supercomputer system he developed, and under a paycheck of a large corp with strong political tie. He happened to have a neighbour who seemed to be retarded, but the scientist believed that the poor soul had the potential, so he invited the poor soul to played the video games he developed as part of the programme. The poor soul became surprisingly more and more intellectual, but being abused by his employer and other people around him, he decided to pursue justice. He tried to migrate his mind into the cyberspace, and our handsome four eyes, regretted that he helped the poor soul in the wrong way, seek to repair the damage. If I dont recall wrongly, handsome four eyes really truthfully desire to help poor soul.

Of course, by then I was only a primary school kid, so I was quite scared at the time I watched.

Network Hub
    Depends what you're looking for really. Prince of Darkness is a good shout, underrated. Most people have seen it too many times but The Thing never disappoints. I love Halloween 3 but it's not big on the scares.

Suspiria is an obvious one too, if you want more Dario Argento stuff.

If you're just looking for entertaining films with a creepy atmosphere you can't go wrong with the Hammer films. Probably won't find them scary because they're a bit dated now, but you can't beat Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing wandering around spooky mansions.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Are you looking for anything horror, or for specifically supernatural?

The Lawnmover. I watched it when I was very young, so let me recall what I've watched.

A scientist (let me called him handsome four eyes) working for something about exploring human brain's potential by supercomputer system he developed, and under a paycheck of a large corp with strong political tie. He happened to have a neighbour who seemed to be retarded, but the scientist believed that the poor soul had the potential, so he invited the poor soul to played the video games he developed as part of the programme. The poor soul became surprisingly more and more intellectual, but being abused by his employer and other people around him, he decided to pursue justice. He tried to migrate his mind into the cyberspace, and our handsome four eyes, regretted that he helped the poor soul in the wrong way, seek to repair the damage. If I dont recall wrongly, handsome four eyes really truthfully desire to help poor soul.

Of course, by then I was only a primary school kid, so I was quite scared at the time I watched.
    Are you talking about The Lawnmower Man? Hardly what I'd call a horror film, now mostly scary for the horribly dated CGI.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Pretty obvious, but since it hasn't been mentioned - The Exorcist
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    Are you talking about The Lawnmower Man? Hardly what I'd call a horror film, now mostly scary for the horribly dated CGI.
    Oh, yeah, typo, I missed the word "Man".

The movie is quite old, I remember it's out in around 1990. At that time, yeah, I thought it was quite horrific, of course, by the standard of a kid I was back then. The poor soul used his superhuman will power to burn out the brains of the people used to abuse him. But you know, it may be not horrific at all for adult's standard.

Man I really want to try out the virtual flight video game the handsome four eyes made.

Activated Node
    sorry man but when i am watching "old movies" i only ended up laughing lol

maybe because of the quality and the effects of the video is very low

hahah

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    It depends which one are you watching,watch those three i listed in opening post,and you'll see what is good horror.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aladinversuk View Post
    sorry man but when i am watching "old movies" i only ended up laughing lol

maybe because of the quality and the effects of the video is very low

hahah
    This makes me sad.

edit. On topic, based on the three mentioned in the OP, I second the Don't Look Now and The Thing suggestions

I tend to give The Wizard Of Gore an airing 'round this time of year. It's got a great plot, about a magician whose volunteers leave his shows perfectly healthy only to die later on from the methods employed in the show.

Network Hub
    Quatermass and the Pit

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Night of the Living Dead
    The Shining
    Alien
    Jaws
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    Quatermass and the Pit
    I'll second that. The 1958 BBC serial is great. Think some wonderful person even has it on youtube.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    If you want to go really old-school, there's always Nosferatu.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Pretty obvious, but since it hasn't been mentioned - The Exorcist

The opening bit is really creepy but the rest of it...was not that scary and kind of got hilarious, maybe because pop culture has basically ripped it off and parodied it for years that it doesn't seem that scary anymore.

I second Suspiria. Also:
    The Beyond
    Lips of Blood
    Isle of the Dead
    Black Sabbath
    None of these are particularly scary but they are highly atmospheric.

Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles