Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 114
  1. #1
    Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Zürich
    Posts
    751

    Obama re-elected as President of the USA

    Divided U.S. Gives Obama More Time

    Barack Hussein Obama was re-elected president of the United States on Tuesday, overcoming powerful economic headwinds, a lock-step resistance to his agenda by Republicans in Congress and an unprecedented torrent of advertising as a divided nation voted to give him more time.

    In defeating Mitt Romney, the president carried Colorado, Iowa, Ohio, New Hampshire, Virginia and Wisconsin, a near sweep of the battleground states, and was holding a narrow advantage in Florida. The path to victory for Mr. Romney narrowed as the night wore along, with Mr. Obama winning at least 303 electoral votes.

    A cheer of jubilation sounded at the Obama campaign headquarters in Chicago when the television networks began projecting him as the winner at 11:20 p.m., even as the ballots were still being counted in many states where voters had waited in line well into the night. The victory was far narrower than his historic election four years ago, but it was no less dramatic.

    [...]
    Source: The New York Times

    CNN has some more detailed voting results. Nothing too surprising: Whites, Men, the Religious and the Wealthy tended to favour Romney, Blacks, Latinos, Women and the Working Class favoured Obama. What I find interesting is that Obama received 303 Electoral Votes, but only 50% of the popular vote. I realize this is due to way the election system in the US works, but it still feels a bit strange.

    Other than that, Democrats managed to retain control of the Senate and Republicans will most likely keep the House, which means after a huge and expensive campaign nothing really changed.

  2. #2
    Network Hub bad guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    362
    Also cannabis will be legalized in the state of Washington and Colorado!

    Up to an ounce (28g) of weed per person over the age of 21.
    And up to 6 plants with only 3 allowed to be in maturity.
    Last edited by bad guy; 07-11-2012 at 03:22 PM.

  3. #3
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    52
    Also, Akin, Mourdoch and Walsh were voted out, which is pretty good. Romney would've been terrible for the US, mainly because he didn't have any facts, but Obama isn't a saint either.
    Yeah well, the furnace is nice and warm and I'm bored.

  4. #4
    would much rather have Obama as president that Romney.
    Lookin' 4 Indie Bundles? We track 'em! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by bad guy View Post
    Cannabis will be legalized in the state of Washington and Colorado!

    Up to an ounce (28g) of weed per person over the age of 21.
    And up to 6 plants with only 3 allowed to be in maturity.
    Yeah but how will this work with state rights vs federal laws? It's an interesting issue. Been watching the back and forth in Cali for a few years now.

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Yeah but how will this work with state rights vs federal laws? It's an interesting issue. Been watching the back and forth in Cali for a few years now.
    Read somewhere that whatever state say is worth shit because under federal law they still have to prosecute you. how reliable that was I dunno.


    I just want taxes for rich people to be raised. it is ridiculous how little people who make millions pay.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,269
    I can't speak for the internal workings of America, but I reckon having Obama as president has repaired some of the damage to their worldwide image. If this were any other forum I might hesitate to say the international community really likes him, because that inevitably brings out an extremist or two spouting accusations along the lines of 'socialist' and 'European sympathiser.' Man, the way they go on, you'd think we were cold war Russians instead of trusted allies.

  8. #8
    Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Zürich
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Man, the way they go on, you'd think we were cold war Russians instead of trusted allies.
    Sometimes I wish the accusations some US conservatives throw at us were actually true. In my country the rich have profited disproportionately from the increase in wealth while roughly every tenth citizen lives in poverty. We're not very good at this whole socialism thing.

  9. #9
    Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I can't speak for the internal workings of America, but I reckon having Obama as president has repaired some of the damage to their worldwide image.
    That's certainly been my anecdotal experience of talking to various Europeans. Except for one Italian left-wing activist I know, Obama's initial positive image seems to have immunized him against any kind of serious criticism, even though his foreign policy is where he's the worst. Can you imagine Bush getting away with, say, this heavy usage of drone strikes? Or the continuation of Guantanamo? Not without universal criticism.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Yeah but how will this work with state rights vs federal laws? It's an interesting issue. Been watching the back and forth in Cali for a few years now.
    I can't imagine how the DEA won't crash the party. As you suggest, they've been intruding on California's medical marijuana setup for the past decade or so.
    Last edited by TillEulenspiegel; 07-11-2012 at 04:26 PM.

  10. #10
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I can't speak for the internal workings of America, but I reckon having Obama as president has repaired some of the damage to their worldwide image.
    In Europe, maybe, but I doubt Obama's win has had any impact on public opinion elsewhere.

  11. #11
    Lesser Hivemind Node Kodeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Yeah but how will this work with state rights vs federal laws? It's an interesting issue. Been watching the back and forth in Cali for a few years now.
    The state won't go after you if they find you with pot (under the new limit), but the feds will. I don't think these new ballot initiatives allow for distribution centers like you have in California, so there's no conflict of interest where the state is allowing a store that the feds then have to raid.

    Of course things like growing operations will continue as before, with state and federal levels both working on it.

    Edit: I take that back, the Washington state measure does get into retail distribution, so we're looking at the same situation of federal raids on these stores.
    Last edited by Kodeen; 07-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I can't speak for the internal workings of America, but I reckon having Obama as president has repaired some of the damage to their worldwide image. If this were any other forum I might hesitate to say the international community really likes him, because that inevitably brings out an extremist or two spouting accusations along the lines of 'socialist' and 'European sympathiser.' Man, the way they go on, you'd think we were cold war Russians instead of trusted allies.
    As was pointed out on the NYTimes a few weeks ago, the general image in the Russian government was, "we don't really like Obama, but we at least have a relationship with him. With Romney's Cold War rhetoric, we can't talk to him at all."

    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    That's certainly been my anecdotal experience of talking to various Europeans. Except for one Italian left-wing activist I know, Obama's initial positive image seems to have immunized him against any kind of serious criticism, even though his foreign policy is where he's the worst. Can you imagine Bush getting away with, say, this heavy usage of drone strikes? Or the continuation of Guantanamo? Not without universal criticism.
    Obama's reputation in Europe has cooled from 2008 for those very reasons of continuing Bush-era policies. He's still not as crazy as Bush, so it's a net positive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    In Europe, maybe, but I doubt Obama's win has had any impact on public opinion elsewhere.
    Most of the world loves Obama because they can actually deal with him. Hell, Iran offered first responders and Venezuela offered cheap gasoline when Sandy hit New Jersey, because Obama offered to send first responders to Tabriz in August, and because he offered a form of detente to Chavez after the high rhetoric during the Libyan intervention.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  13. #13
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Most of the world loves Obama because they can actually deal with him. Hell, Iran offered first responders and Venezuela offered cheap gasoline when Sandy hit New Jersey, because Obama offered to send first responders to Tabriz in August, and because he offered a form of detente to Chavez after the high rhetoric during the Libyan intervention.
    Love would be a strong word. There is strong sentiment against him in Pakistan for the drone attacks. Other South Asian countries are wary of him because of his stance against outsourcing, it's another matter that he's not actually gonna do anything about it. By not doing much to support the uprisings in the Middle East, he hasn't done much to help his image there either(still, that's just a couple of countries). Iran's overture may be just a thinly veiled move to boost its image, but, yes, making such a move wouldn't have crossed their minds had Bush been in-charge.

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Love would be a strong word. There is strong sentiment against him in Pakistan for the drone attacks. Other South Asian countries are wary of him because of his stance against outsourcing, it's another matter that he's not actually gonna do anything about it. By not doing much to support the uprisings in the Middle East, he hasn't done much to help his image there either(still, that's just a couple of countries). Iran's overture may be just a thinly veiled move to boost its image, but, yes, making such a move wouldn't have crossed their minds had Bush been in-charge.
    His relationship with world leaders is cordial, and he's very popular with their citizens. In global politics, that is​ love.

    He has done a lot, consequently, to foster Arab independence, by offering money and recognition, not political advisers. Libya was a multilateral operation when it came to international intervention, and was fought on the ground entirely by Libyans in the name of their own liberty. After their velvet revolution, nobody is going to accuse the new regime in Egypt of being in America's pocket, and that is a good thing.
    Last edited by Nalano; 07-11-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  15. #15
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    His relationship with world leaders is cordial, and he's very popular with their citizens.



    He has done a lot, consequently, to foster Arab independence, by offering money and recognition, not political advisers. Libya was a multilateral operation when it came to international intervention, and was fought on the ground entirely by Libyans in the name of their own liberty. After their velvet revolution, nobody is going to accuse the new regime in Egypt of being in America's pocket, and that is a good thing.
    He threw them bones because he had to do something, it is just token support to show the world that the US wasn't indifferent. Foreign aid won't have a positive impact on the US' image until something is accomplished with it. Even then people are unlikely to forget that the US has supported Mubarak through the years until his downfall was inevitable, and that Obama looked the other way while people died on a massive scale in Syria.

    "After their velvet revolution, nobody is going to accuse the new regime in Egypt of being in America's pocket, and that is a good thing.
    "

    No one is going to accuse them of being in America's pocket because they stood against dictatorships which were in America's pocket.

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    1,674
    Black Obama won, White Obama lost. No significant change anywhere else, not that change was possible in the first place. I'm mildly disappointed that the liberty movement didn't do better, but eh, it's time to focus on 2014.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,077
    This is bad news...for Obama.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,850
    Do we get Steam codes from this?

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    I'm interested to see how Obama responds to Netanyahu given his overt backing of Romney.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I'm interested to see how Obama responds to Netanyahu given his overt backing of Romney.
    General disinterest? I hardly think it kept him up at night. It would be more of a risk, especially now, if he did make any sort of a fuss over it, and completely pointless besides.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •