Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    So far as the Pakistanis are concerned, with the expansion of UAV strikes in their country they may think it may as well be as good as a full-scale occupation on their doorstep.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    General disinterest? I hardly think it kept him up at night. It would be more of a risk, especially now, if he did make any sort of a fuss over it, and completely pointless besides.
    I'm talking with regard towards Israels overt desire to bomb Iran and likely drag the US and its allies into another conflict.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Do we get Steam codes from this?
    Only if you on food stamps, you on Social Security, you got low income, or you disability:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-2i71bqGw
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    "After their velvet revolution, nobody is going to accuse the new regime in Egypt of being in America's pocket, and that is a good thing."

No one is going to accuse them of being in America's pocket because they stood against dictatorships which were in America's pocket.
    I fail to see how that contradicts what I said.

And if you're going to link a chart, you really ought to link the article the chart is tied to, so we know exactly what's being charted. I said Obama's image was slipping due to his continuation of Bush policies, and so does the article. I said Obama's overall foreign policy is still a stark positive break from previous, and so does the article.

Indeed, to quote that very same Pew Research article, since you didn't get past the headline,

Overall Ratings for U.S. Mostly Positive

Majorities or pluralities in 12 countries express a favorable opinion of the United States, while the prevailing view is negative in only five nations. In three countries views are closely divided.

Attitudes toward the U.S. are generally more positive today than in 2008, the final year of the George W. Bush administration. The biggest improvements in America’s image have occurred among Europeans – in France, Spain, and Germany, the percentage of people with a positive view of the U.S. is at least 20 percentage points higher than in 2008.

[...]

Even in many nations where overall ratings for the U.S. remain low, however, certain aspects of American “soft power” are often well-regarded. For instance, the American way of doing business is especially popular in the Arab World – more than half in Lebanon (63%), Tunisia (59%), Jordan (59%) and Egypt (52%) say they like this element of America’s image.

For another interesting article, there's always the NYTimes.
    Last edited by Nalano; 07-11-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Burp.

10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Only if you on food stamps, you on Social Security, you got low income, or you disability:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-2i71bqGw
    Well I come from Spain so can apply for all of them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    You are welcome, rest of the world.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I wonder what the result of this election will mean for the future platform of the GOP. Surely the party strategist have realized by now that pandering to the right-wing extremists was a mistake and will lead to their downfall in the long run, as the influence of White males continues to dwindle. Ironically quite a large part of Hispanics and Blacks are conservative, politically speaking, but the Republican's blatant racism kept them from voting for Romney. If the GOP wants to stay relevant in the coming years they'll have to rid themselves of their xenophobic image and appeal to immigrants. Bush, for all his other flaws, understood this and the Hispanic votes were a large reason for his re-election in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Black Obama won, White Obama lost. No significant change anywhere else, not that change was possible in the first place. I'm mildly disappointed that the liberty movement didn't do better, but eh, it's time to focus on 2014.
    Is the liberty movement the same thing as the libertarians?
    Last edited by fiddlesticks; 07-11-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post

Is the liberty movement the same thing as the libertarians?
    Yeah pretty much.

Ironically quite a large part of Hispanics and Blacks are conservative, politically speaking, but the Republican's blatant racism kept them from voting for Romney.
    A lot of Blacks and Hispanics are - or used to be - conservative socially, but I would never really say that a significant subset are conservative economically. Unless you're talking about Miami Cubans.

But yeah, "self-deporting" doesn't fly with Latinos.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @Nalano, my point was that Obama isn't the apple of the world's eye like you say. Yes, people prefer him to Bush but you can't really call that an achievement.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    @Nalano, my point was that Obama isn't the apple of the world's eye like you say. Yes, people prefer him to Bush but you can't really call that an achievement.
    Well that's all Nalano was saying. So you agree, huzzah!

Also considering most the rest of the world considers Romney as bad as Bush he's still the more popular US leader, it's all relative after all.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    A lot of Blacks and Hispanics are - or used to be - conservative socially, but I would never really say that a significant subset are conservative economically. Unless you're talking about Miami Cubans.
    You're right, my bad. I meant to write socially conservative. Though I could imagine the number of African Americans that consider themselves fiscally conservative would still be higher than the number that ended up voting for Romney.

And thanks for that article, interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Yeah pretty much.
    In that case, maybe the reason they didn't do too well is because no one was quite sure what to make of them. I've asked a few libertarians what they actually desired and the only consistent answer I got was more freedom. Which is such an amazingly vague term that you might as well not even bother.

Then again, the lack of any concrete plans didn't really stop Mitt Romney.

In that case, maybe the reason they didn't do too well is because no one was quite sure what to make of them. I've asked a few libertarians what they actually desired and the only consistent answer I got was more freedom. Which is such an amazingly vague term that you might as well not even bother.
    That's mainly because libertarians just want lower taxes but don't want to be considered the callous antisocietal blowhards they really are when people rightly point out that this largely equates to "fuck the poor and their social programs."

@Nalano, my point was that Obama isn't the apple of the world's eye like you say.
    Your point is sour grapes, which fits with the rest of your posts when it comes to the US.
    Last edited by Nalano; 08-11-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Really now, sour grapes about what?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Congratulation, Mr. President!

Really now, sour grapes about what?
    You seem to enjoy downplaying American efforts.

Hell, even these subdued movements were enough to stoke the ire of an obstinate Congressional blockade that immediately cried that he was partaking in an "apology tour."
    Last edited by Nalano; 08-11-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Well done America. You chose... the lesser of two evils.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Well done America. You chose... the lesser of two evils.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk12ALX9fz8

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think the problem is that non-Americans judge the candidates based on foreign policy, while Americans (understandably) choose more or less based on internal policies. I can understand that Obama is the lesser of two evils (that is if you accept the idea that there are only 2 choices) but I cannot get my head around all the celebrations for a man who, to all intents and purposes, takes an active part in extra-judiciary assassinations of foreign nationals (or criminals or whatever you want to call them) through drones... If this was any other head of state (imagine Iran's),everyone would be screaming 'violations of human rights' etc.