Thread: Google+

Google+

Anyone using this? Thoughts/opinions? So far I think it's too early to tell as I don't have many people added so everything is still a blank page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    As a social network, it's a perfect combination of Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin.

As a social platform, it'll fail because:

a) It doesn't have games or Zynga. Zynga causes users. Sad but true.
    b) It's not open enough like Twitter. Twitter channels double as newsfeeds.
    c) It doesn't have the critical mass of Facebook. Yet. We'll see, but remaining doubtful. See a)
    d) It has the "I'm not facebook" vibe going for it, that'll last it another two months before it becomes stale.

It's a shame. I'm a huge proponent of d)
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Wizardry 8; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Network Hub
    I always have Gmail or Reader or Maps open anyway, so posting something to Google+ is just easier. Plus, I don't even like most of the people I'm friends with on Facebook. I also like the minimalism of Google+.

It's Google, so I they probably joined me up already! Amirite?
    Buzz rite?
    Ok, at least this time they seem to have learnt something and most sharing seems to be off by default.
    Big problem with Google is just how much stuff they bring out, so when they do release their big idea it gets lost in the noise.
    And too many names -even the functions in Google+ have names, so you don't know where one ends and another begins.
    I love their 'circles' idea -I've only just joined facebook and the idea that someone is either a 'friend' or not is mind-blowing. You need discrete groups that you allow to access seperate areas.
    But Circles has a problem in that it is another name. It seems every little function has a name and it becomes overwhelming. Pretty sure you shouldn't need a manual for a social site.

Talking of names, Google+ just sounds like a 'better' search engine (oh and Google stop making a 'better' search engine and fucking around with the search page you assholes. And gmail. Stop fucking with that to).
    Google has a verb, it needs to be more of a noun in the name. GoogleLife would have been a lot better -distinguishes it from Google searches.

It seems good, but the introduction I read from Google went into too much detail. I think 'like facebook but with more control' would have been a better selling point. Their promotion of things is pretty lame -always seems like jokey nerd speak.
    This is all from a non-tech person (obvious is obvious)
    No one I know is mentioning it.
    Try London on Board for free and easy boardgaming

I hope they keep all the games and other cruft out of G+. The signal-to-noise in my small circle is bad enough since a realside acquaintance decided to put me in his "Wants to Listen to my Tedious Political Commentary" circle, getting spammed by requests to adopt someone's pixelswine wouldn't help at all

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    The whole circles thing appeals to me. The problem with Facebook is having to explain to Aunt Sally (whom it would of been socially uncouth to not accept a friends request from), that Bob & Jackson were 'just joking' about that wild weekend we hand in Vegas where we ended up burying those call girls( sorry..hookers) out in the desert.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

I've not managed to get on to Google+, but am interested in checking it out. Not convinced it will manage to hit critical mass though, and while it's function is clearer than Wave's, without users it will run in to the same issues. (That said, I do hope Wave respawns as a sub-feature of Google+. I still hold that it was a great platform for collaborative planning)

The circles is cool though, although to be fair to FB it is something they've been attempting to integrate via groups. I saw Notch asking for the opportunity to have 'public' circles, but seeing as I could see that already and am not even a + member, I'm not entirely sure what that entailed (I think it was allowing people to join the circle without approval). If Google do get the circles working properly though, and allow things like the asymmetry of twitter, then there should be something really useful there.

Wave is pretty great. Google stopped developing it but Apache foundation picked it up, so it's not lost yet.
    I'm a bit sceptical about Google+, it seems to be too similar to Facebook which I have no intention of joining. I'm much more interested in Diaspora.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    The whole circles thing appeals to me. The problem with Facebook is having to explain to Aunt Sally (whom it would of been socially uncouth to not accept a friends request from), that Bob & Jackson were 'just joking' about that wild weekend we hand in Vegas where we ended up burying those call girls( sorry..hookers) out in the desert.
    Best ever.

So far, Im enjoying Google+. More than I ever liked facebook, for sure.

Activated Node
    anyone got any invites lying around for it :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    AFIACT it doesn't give you a limited number of invites, so feel free to PM me your email address if anyone wants one.

I quite like it. It has replaced Twitter for me. I find it much easier to filter out the noise on G+. The circles work both to filter who sees what you post, but also to let you filter for what posts you want to see as well, so I don't feel like I'm losing my friends in my followings and so forth, just a click lets me see just them. I also find the comment system so much better, obviously, Twitter mentions are a bad place to try and have a conversation.

I think the people prophesying doom over this thing are hilarious. Complaining about the adoption rate and user population of a private invite-only beta is just gold.

I was invited by an ex indie-dev who works for Google about a week ago (or more, don't remember) and I must say is great. I made my own "circle" with fellow indie game devs, and in general much better than FB at filtering out the CRAP :D
    if you like manga, RPG and dating sims, check my indie computer games

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Playing around with it a lot more and liking it a great deal (like all things the pain is in that initial setup). The ladies of Kad seem to prefer the book of faces, but I think that's mainly down to the games and gossip centric nature of it all.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe