Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar

Album Of The Week

So I was listening to Mark Kermode's podcast and I thought i would nick one of Simon Mayo's thing at the end and talk about my album of this week. Since I like nicking other people's ideas for forum posts and i like talking about music now that I have a new found appreciation of it. I usually listen to a few albums a week so I guess I can say which one is my favourite. I mean I'm no expert and I can't talk all the flowery language that usual music reviewers do but I will try.

Also you can suggest some I guess, I mean I probably don't get all the music thats been released that week since i get it from a certain website. If you don't fine, I'll try to keep this up and it might just look like one persons schizophrenic replying to himself thread which could be entertaining if you like the A man clearly losing his mind.

Anyway without further ado my album of the week is:

Brian Eno - The Drums Between The Bells

brian_eno_drums_between_the_bells.jpg

This really shouldn't work as an album to be honest, or as a musical thing to do. Straight read poetry without even trying to do anything musical to it put on electronic ambient. It sounds kind of pretentious and I'm sure it is, but one thing I was surprised at is how beautiful it really is. And i do mean that genuinely. There is something about the poetry and the music coming together on some songs that actually break into my heart and definitely move me to some kind of emotion whether that is sadness or happiness. I don't think it would have worked if the ambient was on its own or the poetry was on its own. Its definitely the two combined that makes it come together. The electronic ambient is right up my street since its all weird noises and bleepy bloopies come together to make some kind of musical sound. Sometimes it actually uses what sounds like real strings and instruments and there really good as well, though i kind of prefer the electronics a bit more personally.

Here is the whole album streamed, I do have to say it is a kind of weird listen at first but once you get over it it starts to become quite beautiful

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/...een-the-bells/

As a bonus here is another Album though I don't know whether I love this one or hate it.

WU LYF - Go Tell Fire To The Mountains

Wu-Lyf-Go-Tell-Fire-To-The-Mountain-150x150.jpg
    This is just weird, really really weird and i can't tell whether its good weird or bad weird. The whole album is full of what I can only describe as Satanic screaming(apt since the band is an acronym For World Unit Lucifer Youth Foundation) but instead of being put to heavy metal like you would usually expect that kind of screaming, it puts it on Vampire Weekend style Rock with all the Caribbean and African influences you would expect. And half the time it works and half the time it definitly definitly doesn't Usually it doesn't during the slow songs because you just want to stop him screaming. And usually it works during the high intensity songs because it kind of does sound like African chanting in some weird way. So yeah, maybe I will start loving it after a couple of listens but at the moment I am on the fence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HGgni1nGGY

Network Hub
    Would it be churlish of me to point out the WU LYF album didn't come out this week?

It had passed me by though, so thanks for bringing it up. Not sure about the apparent weirdness, seems fairly standard stuff from the songs I've listened too (not in a bad way). I think the singer just has one of those rock voices, strained and always as if he's on the brink of losing it. I wouldn't say it was much like the full on screaming you get in metal. Reminds me a little of the singer from The Replacements, actually.

I'm liking it so far though. Certainly seem to have more about them than someone like the Vaccines.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Not sure about the apparent weirdness, seems fairly standard stuff from the songs
    Maybe the weirdness is just me, I mean I've heard some kind of that rock shouting and stuff, but not in the kid of genre there going fo. Usually its indie kids with nice voices that usually play on that kind of music and it kind of seemed weird to me hearing that kind of rock voice on that kind of music. And yeah hearing again it isn't as bad screaming then I thought.

Network Hub
    Yeah, I can see exactly what you mean. The multitracking seems to make it harsher, too. Seems like the album needs a few play throughs for it to click.