Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Personal GOTY? Probably Little Big Adventure 2 and Psychonauts! Just like every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Guardian View Post
    No love for Orcs Must Die 2? IMO really good.
    I played the first one to death, the second... not so much. I don't know why, it just couldn't keep me entertained for longer than 25h. The coop matchmaking was absolutely horrible and still isn't fixed. Plus countless DLC packs have torn the community apart, so nowadays there is hardly anyone to play the odd game with, because I only own the basic game.

Quote Originally Posted by Outright Villainy View Post
    Single player
    First place: Dishonored.
    Second place: Dark Souls.

Multiplayer
    First place: Natural selection 2. By a million trillion gillion miles. Best Multiplayer game in about 5 years.
    Second place: CS:GO.
    Agreed on your firsts! Dishonoreds leveldesign is stellar! And I like the storytelling and characters too (few will agree with me, i know). Natural Selection 2 just drains all of my gaming time (and time actually not commited to gaming, sigh) atm! Never experienced such smooth and deep teamplay in a game before (maybe C&C Renegade, back in the day). And skulking clueless marines is the best thing ever.

Haven't played Dark Souls or CS.

Hotline Miami, Legend of Grimrock and FTL

Network Hub
    GOTY: Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown.
    I haven't really bought any 2012 PC games, forever in backlog clearing mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Carra View Post
    -Diablo 3 (I'm actually the only one who thinks this game is excellent, seriously?)
    I'm really torn there. I think the art design was great. I think the combat was fantastic and felt really gratifying, especially all the destructable scenery. I also really liked the skill / rune system.

BUT.

The story seemed like it was written by a five year old. I know it's an ARPG but COME ON - 'oh uncle Deckard!'. And most importantly the itemisation and difficulty spike at inferno completely destroyed any longevity of the game. The itemisation made it hard to get nice stuff for your class, made legendaries mostly rubbish and blues with high dps amazing but boring. Inferno made only very select classes and skills viable, effectively ruining the rune system that was so fun to level with. Not sure how the game is now, though I believe it's received much (needed) attention.

So whilst I definitely enjoyed it, I'm also quite dissapointed. But then I am British. :p
    Last edited by duff; 13-11-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Banned
    From what I've seen Diablo 3 looks fun, but it's irrelevant since I'm not going to fuck around with Battle.net 2.0 to play a single player game.

Yes, even if I could get my money back with auction house

I haven't had the time to play Dishonored or Xcom but I am still very certain what my favourite game of the year will be: Resonance. I'm very surprised nobody else has mentioned it.
    to wound the autumnal city.

I don't think I've played any games released on 2012 yet except for Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 (and something like 20 minutes of CK 2). So... yeah.

Crusader Kings II
    Journey
    Hotline Miami
    Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
    Torchlight II
    Last edited by Cosm; 14-11-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    I don't think I've played any games released on 2012 yet[... ]
    No doubt, I belong in the same camp when GabeN rings the judgement bell and we go to gaming purgatory.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 14-11-2012 at 05:19 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    I'm really torn there. I think the art design was great. I think the combat was fantastic and felt really gratifying, especially all the destructable scenery. I also really liked the skill / rune system.

BUT.

The story seemed like it was written by a five year old. I know it's an ARPG but COME ON - 'oh uncle Deckard!'. And most importantly the itemisation and difficulty spike at inferno completely destroyed any longevity of the game. The itemisation made it hard to get nice stuff for your class, made legendaries mostly rubbish and blues with high dps amazing but boring. Inferno made only very select classes and skills viable, effectively ruining the rune system that was so fun to level with. Not sure how the game is now, though I believe it's received much (needed) attention.

So whilst I definitely enjoyed it, I'm also quite dissapointed. But then I am British. :p
    I feel very much the same as this. Nice mechanics and artstyle somewhat ruined by poor design decisions and awful story.

I'm also very much against the auction house for how pointless it makes various systems (crafting, vendors, etc.) and the fact that my internet at home has been down for a couple of weeks now so even if I had the urge to play it currently it wouldn't be possible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Diablo is still online-only, the AH still makes most loot useless, the story is still crap. But the game itself is much improved. Pretty much every class and skill is viable now after a few patches and the new, much better, difficulty options, so it's much easier to have fun with it (and it's also much easier to make gold, so playing the AH isn't as painful now, if you want/know how to do it). As I said in another thread, I do think D3's action is better than Torchlight 2's, even if I much prefer the latter's items and meaningful loot.

Obscure Node
    I'm waiting for AC 3 and FarCry 3 before I decide. I think both of these have a high chance of scoring GOTY in my book.

For now my top choices would be:

1. Dishonored
    2. Mass Effect 3
    3. Alan Wake

Network Hub
    Best game I've played this year would be Dark Souls, but that actually came out last year so it probably doesn't count for 2012 consideration.

Best games I've played that actually released this year would be Walking Dead, Borderlands 2, and Mass Effect 3. Out of those, my official GOTY pick would be Walking Dead (and it's not even done yet!). No other game has affected me like that one in a looooooong time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    XCOM, Dishonored, Sleepy Dawgz, Dark Souls PTDE ...all good games

Also TWD deserves some recognition.
    Having finished TWD Episode 5 I'm revising my vote.

TWD = GoTY
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

I have to agree. TWD is fantastic, one of the only games I've ever played worth shedding a tear over.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    For me it has got to be Borderlands 2. I've managed to play that game more in the two months since launch than any other game in my Steam library over the two years I've had an account and also more than Battlefield 3, which was (and still is) my go-to competitive online game since the day it came out. I can't really explain why I love it as much as I do, though, seeing as when you finish it pretty much all there is to do is find better weapons so you can... Er... Find more better weapons. Oh, and find skins for your character to look cooler while finding more skins.

Apart from that, my memory doesn't go back 11 months so I can't remember what else came out this year. WRC 3 is my racing game of the year, but that was quite easy as it was pretty much the only one (as far as I can recall). Battlefield 3 Premium might be the best DLC, if only because Armoured Kill and Close Quarters basically turned it into two completely new games.