Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    The Adventures of Shuggy came to PC this year from console, and I really enjoyed it (am enjoying it - not near finished yet). Another one that nobody mentioned is Legend of Grimrock. I want it to be great, but I haven't played it enough to comment. Botanicula was beautiful, but less puzzle-y than Machinarium; I'm glad I played both.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Crusader Kings 2, put 120 hours into that game followed by 80 hours in Vicky 2 and 40 in EU3. Yeah, the first months of the years I've discovered and played nothing but Paradox games.

Other great games:
    -FTL, brilliant indie game
    -Diablo 3 (I'm actually the only one who thinks this game is excellent, seriously?)
    -Max Payne 3
    -Black Mesa

Runner ups:
    Walking dead, x-com, botanicula, Guild wars 2, mists of pandaria

As usual, still got to play some great games of this year and played some great games from last year. I especially enjoyed The Witcher 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Guardian View Post
    No love for Orcs Must Die 2? IMO really good.
    Orcs Must Die was in my top five last year. OMD2 is just too similar to it to be in it this year. Sure, I had a lot of fun with it but nowhere near as much as last year.

There were a lot of very good games on PC this year, actually in the past two years.

If I had to select one for 2012 I'd take XCom I think.

Single player
    First place: Dishonored.
    Second place: Dark Souls.

Multiplayer
    First place: Natural selection 2. By a million trillion gillion miles. Best Multiplayer game in about 5 years.
    Second place: CS:GO.
    Last edited by Outright Villainy; 12-11-2012 at 05:15 AM.

I wouldn't say its my GOTY, but I really liked Spec-Ops: The Line, though its one of the only 2012 releases I've played.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    The Dark Mod 1.8

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Outright Villainy;214239

[B
    Multiplayer
    [/B]First place: Natural selection 2. By a million trillion gillion miles. Best Multiplayer game in about 5 years.
    Second place: CS:GO.
    High five!
    BEST... GAME... EVER.

Also, Journey

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Personally, my Xmas game list (which by its nature must consist of interesting-looking games that you can actually get in a box) is presently:

XCOM
    Assassin's Creed 3
    Scourge of War: Chancellorsville

As to stuff I've played and can vouch for, I've really enjoyed the following this year:

Torchlight 2
    Orcs Must Die 2
    Crusader Kings 2
    Mass Effect 3

Multiplayer game of the year for me is Natural Selection 2. I'd say I'm going to love Assassin Creed 3's multiplayer too, when I get to play it, but I don't think it will top NS2.

Singleplayer is a harder choice; I really can't pick between Dishonored and Mark of the Ninja, both of which I enjoyed immensely.

Honorable mentions to Vessel, Borderlands 2, Tiny & Big, Mass Effect 3, Quantum Conundrum and Day Z.

I tend not to play many current releases, being one of those insidious people who waits for the 75% Steam sale.

However this year I have really enjoyed

Crusader Kings 2

DayZ

The Dark Mod 1.8

Red Orchestra 2

Xcom EU

Activated Node
    Natural Selection 2 takes it for me. Funnily enough, I wasn't all that impressed during beta which was a let down due to the nostalgia of NS1. However, after playing it post-release I've been having a ton of fun.

I've been timid to buy XCOM, it seems well-made and definitely down my alley of interests but can't seem to build up the desire to take the leap and buy it.

I did impulsively buy Dishonored which is kind of funny though considering I knew in the back of my head, a mostly-action game wouldn't hold my interest for long. I guess I thought it would have some gripping storyline/world/characters or that the RPG elements would be deep enough to make repetitive action more fun but I really don't believe that was the case. In fact, I'm pretty interested in just what aspect(s) all the rave was about? I found the stealth was master-able within a few hours at most, you could get all the powers pretty early, the characters/groups were hit-or-miss and never far beyond mediocre, and the "wade through the slightly beefed up defenses to kill the next political big-shot" quest-progression lost my interest pretty quickly (granted I probably got less than half-way through the game so IDK if it changes any beyond that).
    Last edited by jquinn914; 12-11-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Network Hub
    I bought XCOM but haven't played it yet, so I have to say DayZ. Even though I haven't played it for a while, the time I did spend it produced some of my favourite moments in gaming ever. I must've put at least 400 hours into it.

Quote Originally Posted by jquinn914 View Post

I've been timid to buy XCOM, it seems well-made and definitely down my alley of interests but can't seem to build up the desire to take the leap and buy it.

I think this is stil 35% off on GreenManGaming.. check the blog for the voucher code ( Last time I checked GMG35-5BRU6-ZDRX7) and see if it's still working. Worked out about 20 for UK buyers.

You can also pick up the Elite Soldiers DLC for 25% off using code GMG25-UAAHK-6AI9S

Hotline Miami, Crusader Kings 2, Warlock: Master of the Arcane, Mark of the Ninja are all up on my most played list. I'm sure XCOM would be up there too but I'm waiting for the Steam sale to pick them up. If I had to pick one for GOTY, I'd go with Hotline Miami just because it reminded me that it's OK (and lots of fun) for a game to just be a game.

XCOM, Dishonored or Football Manager 2013. FM13 is actually quite a downgrade from 12 but it is still a great game. At the end of the day i think i would have to go for XCOM. I have just put so much time in to that.

Borderlands 2 for me. I always loved the idea of the first game but found it fell short in several instances. Borderlands 2 fixed all the wonks, improved in every area and works like a charm. It's the only game released this year I'm already replaying, not once but twice (on both new game plus on my first character as well as with a whole new one) at the same time. Can't really find anything to complain about it beyond some minor bits and bobs. Love it.

XCOM is pretty excellent as well and probably my runner-up for the title. It scratched an itch I had had for ages and did not disappoint at all. Really looking forward to going back to it again at some point. And as much as I hate hate hate hate the ending (updated or not), everything else in Mass Effect 3 gets a big thumbs up from me - even in regards to the tacked-on multiplayer mode that was actually surprisingly good fun I really enjoyed playing (and probably would do if my HD space wasn't so limited atm).

As a disclaimer, haven't played Dishonoured or Darksiders II yet, both of which are games that greatly interest me.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

My top picks:
    Walking Dead
    Natural Selection 2
    Mount and Blade Napoleonic Wars
    Hotline Miami
    CS:GO
    Chivalry
    Planetside 2 (Free :P)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Due to having no income and a few hundred games worth of backlog, I have adopted a strict "bargain only" policy. My own wishlist for 2012 games is therefore quite long, but I've still managed to acquire some. Opinions on the ones I remember playing:

The Walking Dead - Beautifully drawn visuals, gripping story. I really like the episodes so far, but my problem with the game is that there isn't really much game there. Many of the decisions feel important in the moment, but seem irrelevant (or are misremembered) in the long run. Story wise, it's great though, and I heartily recommend it based on my personal involvement and empathy with the characters.

Binary Domain - Fun TPS that never bugged me the way it did John. However, it never really gripped me either. A lot of macho bullshit made me dislike the characters. There were some interesting, but poorly implemented, RPG elements that could have been more developed. Gameplay wise, it was good but not great. Not much new (beside robot dismemberment) but functioning. I kinda liked the boss fights, which felt a bit old-school in a good way.

Spec Ops: The Line - Another TPS with decent, but uninspired, gameplay. The big draw here, to most people, is the story. I got its message, but wasn't really moved by it. Call me cold or desensitized, but there was nothing there that made me feel as terrible as I was expecting. I appreciate what it tried to do, but it didn't really get there, IMO.

Crusader Kings 2 - Easily my game of the year! My game of the decade, even. I'm not sure if it's my top game ever, but it's definitely close. It's a game that I've dreamt of for a long time, and Paradox managed to pull it off brilliantly! I've clocked way over 200 hours in the game and I'm still not done with the base game! Every game plays out differently, the range of possible actions is vast and there are many different ways to play the game. It's an epic medieval sandbox RPG/RTS hybrid. It's A Game of Thrones (or A Song of Ice and Fire, if you prefer). It's huge and still growing. It's GOTY!