Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Activated Node

What does it take for either of us of to be the official part of RPS?

So, what does it take for normal ordinary forumers like us be an official writer for the RPS site?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Wait untill the RPS hivemind puts up a post that states that they are looking for another good writer.
    Follow instructions in said post.

Network Hub
    That or a timely assassination and a letter to the remainder (may or may not need to be well written).

Too dark?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    When you play the game of RPS, you either win or you die.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Network Hub
    Isn't RPS best of three? Unless shotgun is deployed in the first turn, then all bets are off.

(Shotgun needs nerfing obv. Perhaps just replace it with some sort of cutting implement to counter paper.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vague-rant View Post
    (Shotgun needs nerfing obv. Perhaps just replace it with some sort of cutting implement to counter paper.)
    No no no. The rock and paper are NPCs. Shotgun is a PC.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Honestly, between rock and shotgun, my bet's on the rock.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Honestly, between rock and shotgun, my bet's on the rock.
    Yeah, they changed it into a bloody catapult projectile in the latest patch...

Activated Node
    Typical dry English humor aside, if I can't wait for the "hivemind" to be setup, can I try writing "test articles" in this forum to gain your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    No no no. The rock and paper are NPCs. Shotgun is a PC.
    The rock and paper are consoles, surely?

Y' know, it's funny, I could've sworn that there used to be a subforum dedicated to writing pursuits. Like, people would write pseudo-articles and get feedback etc. Could anyone back me up on this, or am I going senile?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Madzack View Post
    Typical dry English humor aside, if I can't wait for the "hivemind" to be setup, can I try writing "test articles" in this forum to gain your opinion?
    You can do as you wish, but historical evidence would suggest that RPS only hire when they need to.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Flobulon View Post
    Y' know, it's funny, I could've sworn that there used to be a subforum dedicated to writing pursuits. Like, people would write pseudo-articles and get feedback etc. Could anyone back me up on this, or am I going senile?
    Yup. It hasn't existed for quite a while though (since the new forums came into being?). I recall it wasn't often used even when it was around though. Doesn't mean it shouldn't exist but it might explain why it's not there anymore.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Just make posts in the PC Gaming forums and we can ridicule..er..provide feedback for you there.

Obscure Node
    If you want to get a job as a journalist in any field I'd recommend knowing when to use "either" and when to use "any".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by furius View Post
    If you want to get a job as a journalist in any field I'd recommend knowing when to use "either" and when to use "any".
    *chortles*
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    RPS do do occasional freelance commissions for stuff they know nothing about though (hardware, WoW, etc). So the other route in is to become a well-established freelancer then pitch some stuff you might think they're missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Madzack View Post
    So, what does it take for normal ordinary forumers like us be an official writer for the RPS site?
    Madzack -

Your chance of becoming an RPS hiveminder by writing things on the forum is pretty close to nil. That said, here are the things you should probably do if you want to pursue games journalism:

1. Start a blog, preferably on your own website (i.e. not a generic Wordpress blog - not a hard and fast rule, just tends to look better).

2. Write very frequently on your blog, and assume audience even if you suspect no one is reading. Practice. Develop a voice. Write things people aren't writing.

3. Market the shit out of said writing. Engage everyone and their mother on twitter. Be aggressive (but, you know, don't harass anyone). Social networks are you friend. Speaking of which...

4. Network. Ask developers for interviews. Pitch articles to any place that accepts freelancers (Kill Screen is not a bad place to start, if you're confident enough).

There was a cynical-but-useful article on this subject recently, but I can't seem to find it. But the net sum of it is: if you like game writing, just do it, practice, and get better. If you want to do it as your sole occupation, though, you have to give it 110%, and - if you're lucky enough to make it in - chances are you will be poor. There are way, way more people who want to be game writers than there are positions, and the army of amateur, unpaid bloggers (like me!) is driving down the value of paid writing (I'm sorry!).
    Last edited by Aerothorn; 12-10-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    Madzack -

Your chance of becoming an RPS hiveminder by writing things on the forum is pretty close to nil. That said, here are the things you should probably do if you want to pursue games journalism:

1. Start a blog, preferably on your own website (i.e. not a generic Wordpress blog - not a hard and fast rule, just tends to look better).

2. Write very frequently on your blog, and assume audience even if you suspect no one is reading. Practice. Develop a voice. Write things people aren't writing.

3. Market the shit out of said writing. Engage everyone and their mother on twitter. Be aggressive (but, you know, don't harass anyone). Social networks are you friend. Speaking of which...

4. Network. Ask developers for interviews. Pitch articles to any place that accepts freelancers (Kill Screen is not a bad place to start, if you're confident enough).

There was a cynical-but-useful article on this subject recently, but I can't seem to find it. But the net sum of it is: if you like game writing, just do it, practice, and get better. If you want to do it as your sole occupation, though, you have to give it 110%, and - if you're lucky enough to make it in - chances are you will be poor. There are way, way more people who want to be game writers than there are positions, and the army of amateur, unpaid bloggers (like me!) is driving down the value of paid writing (I'm sorry!).
    Essentially the advice Chet Faliszek gave on how to get a job in the game's industry - "give yourself one".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    There are way, way more people who want to be game writers than there are positions.
    I do find this phenomena kind of surprising tbh given it's quite clearly not all fun and games (for every dishonored there's a dozen Duke Nukems) and the pay isn't top end (although the imaginary bribes are fantastic).
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....