Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Would you keep reading RPS if it posted about console games, too?

I keep seeing more and more news about console games on RPS, and this got me thinking. What if RPS abandoned doing PC-only games and started writing about console games, too? Would you keep reading? After all, there isn't anything equivalent to the quality and style of RPS in the console world.

Activated Node
    I'd probably keep reading it because the writing and the whole feel of the site is what attracts me the most. I do, however, prefer it as a PC-only news site, the focus is actually good for the site. I can go somewhere else for console news.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Wouldn't bother me. I read RPS for the style, free of the MOUNTAIN DEW DUDEBRO DORITOS HALO HNNNNNG attitude that appears on most other gaming sites. I'd prefer the focus was on PC gaming for the most part but I wouldn't object to mentioning console games.

On the topic of DUDEBRO stuff though, WARFACE is getting old.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Probably not, eventually. I would remain, but I'd have my eye out for something new.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Funnily enough, when I was playing on the Xbox I read RPS because their coverage of cross-platform games was better than any of the other sites. In theory I'd keep reading RPS if the scope of the site expanded, but in reality I think it would be hard for them to do it without damaging the site. Either the existing writers would burn themselves out trying to cover everything, or they'd need to hire a bunch more people and maintaining editorial consistency would get increasingly difficult.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I wouldn't leave out of some sense of anti-console feeling or offense, if that's what you mean.

I don't currently have a console, so it wouldn't be relevant to me. But as long as there was a PC category then that probably wouldn't be an issue.

But I'm not really sure there is a need for another all format site, there are already quite a few big ones.

If RPS wants to mention occasional experiences on consoles then that's fine by me though. Same goes for tablets/phones, as i feel a lot of those games come closer to the indie/free games that RPS often covers.

Since I don't have any consoles, this would mean that a part of RPS's coverage suddenly became entirely un-interesting for me. Yes, that would probably affect my reading.

I'd certainly read it less, or less of it. I don't own a current console, nor do I feel the need to, and while seeing games that are initially planned to reach the PC interests me, I don't want to be window shopping stuff I can't play.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Of more concern than the console content is the sociological shift from 'this game is interesting go play it, gaming is good' and 'this game from the past was important to me' which I feel is converting into 'here is a preview/image of a game you can't play' and 'details on faltering mmo' s free to play.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure RPS covered the info dump on GTA V recently because despite no PC date announcement, every GTA V game has come out on PC eventually (don't forget GTA IV was 6 months after the 360/PS3 as well) so it makes sense to give it some coverage. Sure we didn't get RDR (a slightly mystifying omission tbh...do R* not like money or some such?), but we did get MP3.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

The RPS authors do occasionally write about console games, but not here (try Eurogamer for instance). There's more than enough coverage of consoles in general. I like the PC focus of RPS, as it's essentially the point of the site. I would keep reading either way though.

Obscure Node
    I would keep reading either way, but if there have to be console reviews, I would strongly prefer it be segregated in some way, IE rockpapershotgun.com for PC and rockpapershotgun.com/console for console (obviously) without overlap.

Obscure Node
    Big fan of the PC focus, especially the extensive coverage of indie games that I never really hear of elsewhere. I would probably still read the odd article, but I doubt I would frequent the site. I can't imagine that it wouldn't damage the site in certain ways.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Stop reading? Probably not, but I'd definitely prefer it stay PC only.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarxe View Post
    After all, there isn't anything equivalent to the quality and style of RPS in the console world.
    For writing & review quality, yes there is: Eurogamer

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Since I don't have any consoles, this would mean that a part of RPS's coverage suddenly became entirely un-interesting for me. Yes, that would probably affect my reading.
    This is pretty much me as well. I'd probably stick around the forums though.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    On the other side, IncGamers just went PC-only, which means I'll actually start reading the site again.

It's not particularly fun to have to mentally filter out half the content because it's just noise to me. A PC-only site is a far better use of my time.

As long as they offer a way to filter the content by platform I probably wouldn't mind, but if I have to wade through a ton of clutter to find a few things I'm interested in, I'd probably give it up eventually.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd look for another site to read, but probably wouldn't find one.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

I would like the console equivalent of RPS. Does that count?
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam