Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterT View Post
    Big fan of the PC focus, especially the extensive coverage of indie games that I never really hear of elsewhere.
    On the other hand I feel like it's becoming a bit overbearing. Sometimes some of the articles come off as "An indie game dev just said something, quick, report on it!" - some of them simply aren't news or even particularly interesting, and it seems like that is reflected in the comments, where there's either very few of them or they're less about the game and more about tangents.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Of more concern than the console content is the sociological shift from 'this game is interesting go play it, gaming is good' and 'this game from the past was important to me' which I feel is converting into 'here is a preview/image of a game you can't play' and 'details on faltering mmo' s free to play.
    Fair point, but they are topics worth mentioning. I'd classify them as being news, and RPS posts about news as well as reviews.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Ah, but Soldant, while for me indies fall under the category of "I most likely will not play these," console games fall under the category of "I most definitely will not play these."

At least indies occasionally woo me with their siren call of cheap prices and inspired soundtracks. Nothing's gonna get me to plunk down a c-note or two for an even more closed system than any PC app market can achieve.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Obscure Node
    Ok, I don't see why not! But only if the console news will be somehow separated. I hate to read about some superb game, drolling about it and in the end to find that it will be never ported to PC

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    On the other hand I feel like it's becoming a bit overbearing. Sometimes some of the articles come off as "An indie game dev just said something, quick, report on it!" - some of them simply aren't news or even particularly interesting, and it seems like that is reflected in the comments, where there's either very few of them or they're less about the game and more about tangents.

Fair point, but they are topics worth mentioning. I'd classify them as being news, and RPS posts about news as well as reviews.
    You're severely contradicting yourself. You are saying "I hate when RPS posts about some Indie game that released a screenshot, but it's okay when some AAA game releases a screenshot".

I just quite enjoy reading about games (sometimes despite knowing I'll likely never play them), so wouldn't necessarily mind hearing about console stuff. I just enjoy the style of writing here, having followed their work for PC Gamer years back, over to here. The words are good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post

At least indies occasionally woo me with their siren call of cheap prices and inspired soundtracks.
    I own more indie soundtracks than indie games. I generally dislike more indie games for their mediocre content or gameplay, but god damn do some of them have the best soundtracks known to gaming.

As for the OP, I'd keep reading. I read RPS for the writers and their style rather than to find out much about anything. And of course the forums.

Uh, probably because the quality of the writing wouldn't change but I really wouldn't want it to happen. The PC focus is not only great but also needed - it's really easy to find console news etc in the internet but PC gaming coverage to the extent that RPS does is far harder to find. I enjoy having a site focused on information of any kind relevant only to my main gaming platform.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Network Hub
    Since I play games on both PC and consoles I wouldnt mind. if quality stays the same, there is no reason not to discuss other game topics. I dont think its healthy to have an "elitist" attitude that one platform is better then others. I prefer 70% of my gaming on PC, but those games that shine to me on a Console I still love a ton (dead space games, Uncharted series, etc)

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Since I don't have any consoles, this would mean that a part of RPS's coverage suddenly became entirely un-interesting for me. Yes, that would probably affect my reading.
    This pretty much - I've never owned a console and have no desire to change that. It's great to have a dedicated PC gaming site, especially one as well-written and entertaining as this.

I don't mind console writing, I was a console-only gamer for a few years and I do still play consoles occasionally, but I already get plenty of console coverage from the invisible walls podcast. I'd much rather have more indie game coverage on RPS than console coverage.

Would I leave the site? No, probably not. But I would come here less frequently as I have zero interest in console games and the couple of other sites I read covers those plenty already.

It would basically mean that a site where I read every post written would become one I check out once in a while due to the dilution of interesting content (to me).

I think a better thing would be if there was a console site as well written as RPS. That would be ace. But for me: RPS should be PC centric, first and foremost.

Edit: it's also the only PC centric site I know of from the top of my head and I'd hate to lose that. There are millions of console sites out there. Please let me have this one solace.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.