Broadband recommendations

Awright troops?

I know there are lots of other places to get consumer broadband advice from, but the amount of noise on the web is deafening - especially to an old, lazy man like me.

Tonight, my long-standing and increasingly-loathed ISP, Tiscali/Talk Talk has finally broken my spirit. Do any of you nice people have a recommendation for me to switch to? I live near the centre of Glasgow, I want good speed, I already have a BT phone line and am not currently under contract to anyone.

I'm aware that 'unlimited' downloads are usually a myth, but I want an honest supplier who'll give me as much fast access as possible. I'm currently paying Talk Talk fifteen quid for net access alone and about thirty pounds per month for a BT phone.

Anybody got any suggestions? I'm instinctively loath to give any money whatsoever to Rupert Murdoch and I'd rather not give up my BT line, since it works and would be very expensive to re-connect. I think I'm looking for an old-school ISP who doesn't try to sell me movies or phones or web portals, but I stand to be corrected.

Thank you in advance.

TT

I've always been satisfied with Plusnet.

I also hear good things about BE (there)

Quote Originally Posted by corbain View Post
    I've always been satisfied with Plusnet.

I also hear good things about BE (there)

I've also (lately) heard some good things about Plusnet, but they were such a pain in the arse to remove as the line-hogger from the previous owner of my house (granted, about six years ago, but it took three weeks to get net access - THREE WEEKS, I TELLS YA!) that I find it hard to forgive them. Their phone helpline (in those days, admittedly) was non-existent. One of the reasons I want to ditch Talk Talk, btw.

I've looked into BE before and they're currently one of the top candidates. My father-in-law used Zen for years. They're the only UK ISPs I know of at that even remotely tickle my fancy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If money is no object, goto Zen Internet. They're nowhere near as good as they used-to-be (once-upon-a-time you spoke to actual technical people when you rang them!) but still head-and-shoulders above everyone else.

If money IS an issue and you have an O2 or Orange mobile or Sky TV - get their Broadband because it's cheap-as-chips and works (yes, I know, Murdoch!)

Note: BE are just O2 Internet resellers with a different talk package option...

I can specifically speak for Sky in that they do not throttle/choke or otherwise interfere with your service tho (other than blocking Piratebay perhaps) and unlimited IS unlimited as far as I've been able to test that.

Yeah, the callcentres for all of those are a nightmare but we're talking a service which costs 7.50 a month (cheaper for first-timers too) wheras Zen charge 35-odd for their '200Gb' package and BE is 22.

How much better customer service would you expect for 15-30 a month - I'd want a blow-job thrown in there, frankly...
    Last edited by trjp; 10-11-2012 at 04:02 AM.

Thanks for the advice. Everything seems to come up Sky when I do the maths. Bah. I hate everything about Sky, from their corporate governance to the music they use behind 'station identification' jingles. BAH!

Thanks though. Good advice, and I liked the blowjob joke.

I used to use an ISP called UKOnline and vowed that I'd go to my grave a customer of theirs - until they were bought by Sky. So then I was a Sky customer for a while and found the service to be pretty good. I would have stayed with them.

Unfortunately I then moved home, and the ADSL availability in my new area was shocking. 0.2 Mbit/s estimated speeds kind of shocking.

So I did what I swore I would never do and signed up for a Virgin Media cable connection. I'm aware that there are some genuine horror stories out there about Virgin, but in my experience at least, I've been very pleasantly suprised.

Installation was slick and the guy cabled up the house exactly as I wanted. The connection is a rock solid 60 Mbit/s and has never gone down or been slow. I pay 35 a month for it, which is kind of eye-watering compared to a budget ADSL provider, but I've honestly had no reason to complain.

Bear in mind that I do live in a smaller town - I hear that over-subscribed areas (I guess a major city centre would be one) can have issues with speed and reliability. But otherwise, a cautious thumbs up from me...

Been using BE for about three years now, best ISP I've been with and they've got excellent customer support, though the connection has only ever gone down once for line upgrade and they warned us of it in advance. I get consistently good down/up speeds and around 40 ping in games.

Network Hub
    I used to be under the rotten yolk of O2. Horrible horrible company, I used to get disconnected on a regular basics, I had insane pings for both World of Warcraft and Rift due to them capping the line as 'torrent' lines for some stupid reason. Capped download speeds during the day and just poor all round. The final straw was when they increased the prices, so I switched to Plusnet.

The best company I could of chosen!(apart from BE but I can't get BE here) I have the extra package so I get 60gigs a month and when you download from 12am to 8am it doesn't contribute to your download limit which is a godsend for sticking those 10-15gig Steam games for download overnight and whatever certain stuff you download. It also lets you know how much you have downloaded by logging into the website. I also get top speeds whatever the time of day.

So, Yorkshire! is the way to go(I never thought I would say that being a southern fairy)

A small minor note: I do live about 100 meters from the exchange so I could be a little bias here.

Obscure Node
    I will shortly be moving in to my new home, I was wondering if these recommendations still hold.

To slightly complicate matters, it looks like the area will be upgraded to 'superfast' by the end of December, am I at risk of getting stuck in the slow lane and basically paying the same whilst I wait for the end of my contract?

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    I will shortly be moving in to my new home, I was wondering if these recommendations still hold.

To slightly complicate matters, it looks like the area will be upgraded to 'superfast' by the end of December, am I at risk of getting stuck in the slow lane and basically paying the same whilst I wait for the end of my contract?
    Be There have now also been absorbed into Sky, so there's another quality option gone. I was well pleased with them, will have to see how things pan out now. Looking at Fibre options here, but there's less and less ISP choice these days.
    Steam : pngblackice
    Raptr : pngblackice

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post

You should be able to upgrade and take advantage of the higher speed when it arrives, but only with the provider you choose now.

If you have the option, Virgin Media fibre knocks everything else into a cocked hat. The service has improved (admittedly from a very low base,) hugely from the NTL days and for all out speed nothing else at a sensible price gets close.

It is worth seeing if anyone you know locally has VM as I know that there have been issues with over subscription in certain parts of the country though.

Obscure Node
    We currently have Virgin in our shared house, which is a few miles down the road, and it is a bit rubbish - it drops out sometimes and the speed can be atrocious. However, it does look like virgin's broadband only deal may well be the cheapest, so I might have to consider it.