As you can see, Fly'n (I choose to pronounce it 'fline') is an indie 2D platformer. That's a pretty oversaturated genre, yes, but that didn't stop Ankama from making it a really bloody great indie 2D platformer. If you're like me, just one look at the trailer will convice you that Fly'n is in a league of its own.

It's quickly obvious that Fly'n makes use of multiple playable characters and dimension switching, neither of which are particularly innovative, but what I love about this game is the casualness with which it builds this into the world. There's a minimal amount of fuss about it: the tutorial is limited to telling you when you press which button, and it's up to you to figure out what happens as a result. Although the tutorial signs - which are alive, by the way - show up in the majority of levels in the first world, the amount of hand-holding is minimal throughout.

The controls aren't exactly standard - LMB for jump, RMB for special ability, W for glide, A-D for movement and Space for dimension switching - but it still handles like a dream on m&kb, and if it's too jarring you can rebind the keys anyway. I think this is also achieved by the fact that the game runs really smoothly on my medium-power desktop PC.

The fantastic botanical aesthetic might lead you to think that the game's more 'casual' than, say, Rayman, but make no mistake: the game demands a fair bit of proficiency with its controls later on, particularly when dimension-switching, to progress at a steady rate. I find myself occasionally forgetting about all of the abilities at my disposal: forgetting to dimension-switch when gliding, or forgetting to glide when bouncing, so it's pretty taxing and hard to master.

Death is instant and puts you back at the most recent checkpoint, and gives you a score penalty - no limited lives. However, you can press R to put yourself back at the same checkpoint as well, which doesn't count as death, so it's impossible to get stuck, or to see yourself slowly gliding towards certain doom. In fact, aside from a deliberate demonstration of getting stuck in the first level, it's extremely rare to actually box yourself in, one way or another. The levels are quite expansive, with a lot of verticality, so in the majority of the early levels (world 1 and 2) it's actually possible to backtrack through the entire level in search of any pickups or secrets you might have missed, which is of course completely optional. The only requirement for progression is completing the level - the pickups are just bonuses.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this game to anyone who appreciates beauty and platformers, but if I still haven't convinced you, then consider this: the loading screen animation consists of the villain, who is basically a sentient hair dryer, jumping up and down in a cheerleader outfit. I rest my case.