Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question for Console Gamers

I have not had a console for the past two generations, gaming on my PC only. Short of wants for xmas gifts this year I'm considering a PS3 or XBox 360. I thought I would ask here for PC gamer opinions as I'm really looking for what platform has the most console exclusive titles (by this I mean not available on PC).

I realize that many big releases are cross-console, but I'm not so interested in them anyway. I'm not interested in playing FPS or multiplayer games either on the console...I prefer PC for these. I'm more interested in indies and smaller titles (I believe at least Xbox 360 has a digital store similar to Steam?)

The types of titles I envision myself playing are those that I could quickly pick up and have some simple fun with, so things like shoot em ups, fighting games, platformers etc. that are exclusive to the console. So for console-exclusive titles and indie type stuff, is PS3 or Xbox 360 better? or is there little difference?

Also, please don't kick me out cause I'm asking about consoles!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Keep in mind that choosing a console using this criteria supports the dirty business tactic. You are telling them, with your money, that it's a good idea to make games not cross-platform for arbitrary reasons.
    pass

That's a good point. But it is either this or a tablet, so not sure which is the worse evil. I guess tablets tend to have PC crossover titles more often than not. Something to consider.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Probably best to ask this in other stuff.

Both consoles have some good Arcade (xbox) or PSN games, most are shared now, but there are a few exclusives, like Fez for Xbox and Dead Nation for PSN.

Honestly, it's something where you have to look up the games that are out and decide, people will say get X because it's has better exclusives, but it's really just opinion as to what games appeal to you more.

tl;dr version: neither console has anything particularly over the other, it just depends what you like. However if you do ever get multiplatform games, the Xbox is usually stronger.

Is there something like steam for both Xbox and PS3 and can you browse these online?

Quote Originally Posted by xspork View Post
    Is there something like steam for both Xbox and PS3 and can you browse these online?
    If you just want a list of games, there's Wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tation_3_games
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_360_games

I'd personally say that PS3 has a far wider and stronger range of exclusive titles but I might be a bit biased as our household only has a PS3 and I only see that side of the field. There's several PS3 exclusives I'd personally recommend though (Valkyria Chronicles, the Uncharted games, Ratchet & Clank series, Infamous) + plus the Playstation/Playstation 2 classics catalogue from the online store, while according to the Wikipedia list 360 doesn't really have much in the way of exclusives beyond the Halo series.
    Last edited by Flint; 13-11-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Wow, so many games. I really didn't have any specific titles in mind, now I seem to have less of a clue than before.... Maybe I'll just go with a tablet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    While there are a handful of XBox exclusives, I'd say PS3 has a stronger exclusivity line, and a more interesting digital "small game" library. XBLA is flooded with all sorts of games, from the good to the craptastic, and most of the good ones have made the jump to PC, looking for greener pastures.

On the PS3 side of things, we've had a couple of threads asking for game recommendations. Here's one from about a year ago.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ecommendations
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Thanks for the info I'll look into those titles. I'll have to do some more research, but it is sounding like PS3 might be the way to go if I decide to go the console route. I found the 'indie' section on the Xbox store and it did seem that many that would interest me are on PC and there quite a lot in the craptastic category.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I am currently a PC only player and always have been, so take what I say with little thought, but I would say that the PS3 is your better bet. The 360 doesn't have that many exclusives and those it does have look pretty sameish. The PS3 always looked like it catered to wider crowd, particular when you don't take the Kinect games into account.

Personally, I'm taking the option you don't mention and getting a Wii U this Christmas. Nintendo really do have the most exclusives and will offer me something I can't get on my PC. They will also hopefully have better third party support this time around, so it could be an option for games with poor PC ports.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Tough question,getting console depends on am,which games you prefer to play,i usually can't stand majority of console releases.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Tough question,getting console depends on am,which games you prefer to play,i usually can't stand majority of console releases.
    Really this is true for me as well, that's why I haven't had a console in years. I figure by now there might be enough of a build-up of decent titles to make it worth it. Probably this is why Wii U didn't really cross my mind, though it is something else to consider.

Yeah but the Xbox also has the indie games store as well as Xbox Arcade, which has a metric crap ton of games on it, with fist fulls of new ones each week. Trying to sort the wheat from the chaff is another issue altogether. However it's still better than the Android store, at least there's no "free" games that actually turn out to be F2P micro transaction loaded games or just demo's.

However if I wewre to buy a console now then I'd probably go for a PS3 in all honesty. After a strong start, it just feels like MS have lost all interest in the actual games side of things. Which is surely what most people buy a "games" console for, not for it to be slowly turned into some god awful media center. Where as for Sony it's been the reverse, starting out with an over priced media center DVD player thing with a crap games selection. Finally though it seems that they're going in the right direction with the PS3; taken them a while though.

You're looking for games you can pick up quickly. Buy a tablet then, iPad (and jailbreak) or Nexus 7. It's not a gaming heaven but there are some nice titles, ports from other systems - from Avernum and Avadon through Final Fantasy Tactics, Broken Sword, The World Ends With You to Ghost Trick, Ace Attorney and Walking Dead.

Also some iOS-first titles - Waking Mars, Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery, Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land. And a pretty nice choice of board and card games and tower defense games.

Edit: Forgot Silversword, old-school party RPG, iOS only and clearly a work of love.

You can also use it for browsing RPS in the bathroom. .)
    Last edited by Revisor; 13-11-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Though you say you don't want to play shooters I will say that Resistance 1 and 3 for PS3 are absolutely superb, surprisingly one of the few games that combine the good things of old and new shooters. One of the best console exclusive shooters since Metroid Prime. Even Yahtzee recommends them.

All told I'd say PS3 gets the best exclusives including the lovely indie Pixeljunk games.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 13-11-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    PS3 wins easy. I think the only exclusives Xbox can claim anymore are a few Halos and Gears of War games. Nobody is missing out on those. I'm in the same thought as you though. My PS3 is only for games that aren't on PC, like RDR. I'm currently playing the Okami HD remake on it, and it's fantastic. So much better than my old Wii version with the shitty waggle controls. I don't know too much about the indie scene on PS3 (That's what my PC is for), but Sony does have the best exclusives outside of Nintendo. A PS3 is worth it for Demon's Souls alone.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    PSN games:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Network_games

Xbox Live Arcade:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_Arcade_games

There is still some exclusives, tho some games are eventually ported over.

I prefer PS3 since Microsoft tends to gate features away from non paying Live subscribers. The only thing I liked 360 over PS3 is Rock Band had the band song store where bands could submit their own songs if they did the work to make it into the game. If you ever wanted to play online PS3 is free, Xbox requires the subscription.

As mentioned, you might also consider a Tablet if looking for indie and smaller games for a quick fix. Other option is a PSP/3DS. Each eShop is smaller but has some unique games on there. Not quite as big as Tablet stores but the devices are cheaper.

Then there is the Kinect on Xbox if really desire to dance Gangnam Style while being rated by a game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have a wii and I love the thing. It's a great netflix box, and its the only place to play Nintendo games. A mediocre Nintendo platformer is still better than most of the indie contenders in the field.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I have a wii and I love the thing. It's a great netflix box, and its the only place to play Nintendo games. A mediocre Nintendo platformer is still better than most of the indie contenders in the field.
    Yup. I have a Wii solely for Nintendo exclusives. It doesn't get much use, but when it does, whatever I'm playing is usually amazingly good.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."