Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I don't have to pay to watch Netflix on my PS3, which is about all I use it for.

PS3 is pretty good for film/TV/web browsing stuff in general.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    not to mention blu ray

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I don't have to pay to watch Netflix on my PS3, which is about all I use it for.
    Huh? Is Netflix free on PS3 now?
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Huh? Is Netflix free on PS3 now?
    Last time I checked, accessing Netflix on Xbox requires a subscription to Live Gold or whatever the hell it is. You still have to subscribe to Netflix either way, but PS3 and Wii have no extra costs. It's the main reason I won't even consider an Xbox (a console is just a media hub for me).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    Last time I checked, accessing Netflix on Xbox requires a subscription to Live Gold or whatever the hell it is. You still have to subscribe to Netflix either way, but PS3 and Wii have no extra costs. It's the main reason I won't even consider an Xbox (a console is just a media hub for me).
    Oh, gotcha. Yeah I would never pay a monthly fee like those Xbox kids do. That's just hilarious to me. They pay $60 for every game, a monthly online fee, and buy a new controller for $60 because it has a Halo 4 sticker on it, then they cite how expensive PC gaming is.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

plus no hamburger advertisements on ps3.

Well, thanks everyone. Before this thread I was thinking Xbox 360 was the preferred console, so I'm glad I asked! Also just had lunch with a friend who is moving to France in a week and has both Xbox 360 and a PS3 . I asked him which he would take along if he could only bring one and the PS3 was a no-brainer. Though he had several reasons, the big one is that the xbox is region locked. Since he bought the xbox in the US he would not be able to play games he bought in France. I'm learning all kinds of new things today :D

I think it's worth keeping in mind too that all three consoles are pretty close to the end of their life cycles now. If I was considering buying a console I'd wait until the next gen have solid release dates - the wiiU is a few weeks away (I think?) and I'd be surprised if we don't have solid release dates for microsoft/sony consoles by next summer at the very least.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Wii U is out this Sunday in the US, 30th in the Europe and sometime shortly after in Japan. I expect Sony and Microsoft's systems will be competing for attention at next year's E3, with them being released for next Christmas or early 2014.

If you are getting a PS3 try to get a first generation model. For some reason* they removed backwards compatibility from later models so you'd have to buy PS2 games again in the virtual store. Alternatively you could get PCSX2a PS2 emulator which basically gives every PS2 game a full HD makeover. Often surpassing the official HD versions (I'm looking at you Silent Hill 3).

*ahem

@vanderlay

I'm very dubious of the next gen. Reason being games that push hardware are already so expensive (often well over $50 million not including advertising) that publishers are incredibly cautious about what they make. If the next gen gets any more expensive don't expect anything but the blandest most tame sequels that makes this generation of tame sequels look like the mad experiments of a crazed genius. On the plus side it does mean big price drops all over the shop on current hardware and games so you'll be able to pick up games at bargain basement prices.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 13-11-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Network Hub
    I own a 360, because it has a massively better selection of shoot'em ups than the PS3. Also better selection of fighters. Apparently Sony does not want to allow many arcade ports on their system, and the PS3 is much poorer for it.

Now if you wanted to play network multiplayer, the PS3's total cost would be a lot lower due to not needing to pay a monthly fee. And if you are interested in the AAA exclusives, I feel the PS3 does better there as well.

As a PS3 owner I'd recommend that. I went with PS3 over the 360 simply because the exclusives appeal to me more (especially MGS4, Uncharted 2, GT5 and Demon's Souls). Also, the indie exclusives on PS3 never come over to PC and most xbox do.

Also blu ray and free online. Also, fuck MS.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by xspork View Post
    I have not had a console for the past two generations, gaming on my PC only. Short of wants for xmas gifts this year I'm considering a PS3 or XBox 360. I thought I would ask here for PC gamer opinions as I'm really looking for what platform has the most console exclusive titles (by this I mean not available on PC).

I realize that many big releases are cross-console, but I'm not so interested in them anyway. I'm not interested in playing FPS or multiplayer games either on the console...I prefer PC for these. I'm more interested in indies and smaller titles (I believe at least Xbox 360 has a digital store similar to Steam?)

The types of titles I envision myself playing are those that I could quickly pick up and have some simple fun with, so things like shoot em ups, fighting games, platformers etc. that are exclusive to the console. So for console-exclusive titles and indie type stuff, is PS3 or Xbox 360 better? or is there little difference?

Also, please don't kick me out cause I'm asking about consoles!
    Personally, I'd plug my PC into the TV. But to do so in the size and price range of a console is probably too difficult nowadays (prices slashed). :P Sorry I'm not helpful with that input.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    talking about netflix via PS3 in a PC forum? fail

EDIT: Back on topic, if you want to play more AAA action/fps exclusives PS3 is your best bet. If you want to play awesome arcade ports, remakes and some great indie titles - Xbox Live Arcade is your best bet.
    Last edited by mashakos; 14-11-2012 at 04:10 AM.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    talking about netflix via PS3 in a PC forum? fail
    Clearly, the $1500 overkill solution is better than my $200 one. I have seen the error of my ways.

Clearly, the $1500 overkill solution is better than my $200 one. I have seen the error of my ways.
    I'm guessing you already have a PC. Why would you build another one to watch netflix on? just get a usb+hdmi extender to the living room. That's an additional $60 tops.
    clearly, your ability to fail is not diminished :)
    Steam profile

Obscure Node
    I only have a PS3 and PC, but I would recommend the PS3.

Reasons:
    Many non-PS3 360 games still make it to PC (especially indie titles).
    Most 360 exclusives I know about are just FPS's, whereas PS3 has more variety.
    One of the best games ever is PS3 only (Demon's Souls).

Also I'm just posting this because I can't start a new thread and the first search result on google mentioned a one reply requirement before posting threads. (The FAQ mentions nothing about this so far as I can tell, does anyone know how to get permission to post new threads?)

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    I'm guessing you already have a PC. Why would you build another one to watch netflix on? just get a usb+hdmi extender to the living room. That's an additional $60 tops.
    clearly, your ability to fail is not diminished :)
    Your inability to recognize that your solution is not necessarily the best one for everyone is almost endearing in its naivety. Almost.

Your inability to recognize that your solution is not necessarily the best one for everyone is almost endearing in its naivety. Almost.
    you can't figure out how to connect an extender, so you buy a PS3? That's the laziest kind of rationalising I've come across recently.
    Steam profile