Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    you can't figure out how to connect an extender, so you buy a PS3? That's the laziest kind of rationalising I've come across recently.
    That's a ridiculous conclusion to jump to. Connecting my computer to my TV would either involve a) putting it in a disadvantages area vis a vis my work area, b) drilling holes through the floor or c) running 100+ feet of cable, much to the chagrin of my housemates. Or I could simply use my Wipeout/Demon's Souls box.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I own both, PS3 by far if you insist on buying a console.
    Ps3 has a few nice exclusives (that aren't shitty wanabe shooters) like metal gear solid, gt5 , warhawk, ratchet and clank (these are excellent games), journey, infamous. There's also bayonetta which is not on pc and is a great game.

Set expectations accordingly: other than bayonetta don't expect anything other than casual entertainment from these, you aren't going to find any starcraft or natural selection, ut, civ etc type of challenge on the consoles.

I was really happy with my xbox1 but the 360 is just a scam.
    You need xbox live to play online... (ps+ is a nice deal in contrast, totally optional and you get to play some good free games)
    360 also doesn't support any decent steering wheel , so if you like racing games avoid it like the plague.

Multiplatform quality is irrelevant... you are on RPS so you have a gaming pc, buy the multiplatform games there instead of the second rate dogshit console versions. But hey you already covered that:p

Regardless of what you pick: be aware of:
    -long ass loading times (this is why I never play my consoles anymore , last time I played was when gt5 was released, I want to play not stare at fucking loading bars or lobby countdowns or excruciatingly slow patches and firmware updates )
    -poor framerates
    -horrible online communities
    -extremely high game prices compared to pc
    -zero multitasking ability, when your game is loading or updating or installing you will be staring at it, no tabbing out to a browser:p no skype in the background, no nothing.

It's extemely hard to regress to console standards if you are used to any pc built after 2008, set your expectations low or you're going to have a lot of buyer's remorse.

I went into this console gen expecting ps2 quality standards
    -image quality (was used to sharp image quality from playing games on crt tvs which scale low resolutions well)
    -good framerates (60 fps very common)
    -no broken super buggy games (in general)
    And ps2 era game genres like platformers and action games and futuristic racing games.

This gen doesn't have any of that so I felt completely let down.

Btw next gen consoles are probably out within 12 months (or perhaps early the year after) , do you really want to build up an expensive library on archaic hardware?
    Imo other than maybe bayonetta you aren't missing ANYTHING by not buying a console.
    If I could redo my console purchases I'd not buy one at all and borrow one from a friend for a week to play bayonetta and ratchet n clank.
    Last edited by Finicky; 14-11-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Network Hub
    Also better selection of fighters. Apparently Sony does not want to allow many arcade ports on their system, and the PS3 is much poorer for it.
    Which ones would that be? Any relevant arcade perfect fighters?

Another vote for PS3 for me. It's really a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. You even get a pretty good BD player.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Oh yeah I forgot about WII U.
    If it actually WORKS without a tv as they claim and all games support it, then it's the first console to fill a niche a pc can't (not comfortably at least).
    It would be powerful handheld that plays nintendo games in bed or anywhere where you have an electricity outlet.

I'd actually buy a Wii U for that sole purpose (I love my psp so much ), if it wasn't about 150 euros overpriced:p But it is, so I'll stick to my psp.

I wish someone would license that low latency streaming tech and make a gamepad for PC that streams like the WII u one.
    60 fps renegade ops or emulated ps2 games in bed would be awesome.
    Last edited by Finicky; 14-11-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Depending on what sort of indie/smaller titles you're after really. I've got all 3 consoles this gen and they've all got fairly strong libraries.

The 360 has Rez HD which is Rez as it was always supposed to be and Every Extend Extra Extreme which totally needs more of the letter E but otherwise is an interesting take on Omega's original, visually splendid stuff indeed. Trials and Fez are both wonderful and ducking into XBLIG there's a veritable treasure trove in there amongst the guff that's well worth investigating. But it's getting harder to recommend you pick the thing up because MS are transitioning it away from a primary games device into some bastard media hub that prioritises what MS want you to see and their future indie content (likely into the next gen also) is getting more slender and less exclusive as more make the leap to PC.

Essentially with Trials coming to PC and Fez no doubt on its way, it's reallllly tough to say "definitely" unless you really want Rez done right. Obviously the 360 has Crackdown also and that's not available anywhere else which is a damn shame but still...

The PS3 is the more immediately future proof. As stated if you can get an early model you get PS2 compatibility thrown in too so there's a large amount of cheap games available from the off, there's also a selection of PS1 & PS2 titles in the store if you fancy throwing Atari 4 to play the only decent thing they've put out in 20 years with Pong and whilst thinner on the ground, it's hard to argue that there's a few must see games on the PS3 with The Unfinished Swan, Journey, DYAD, a good chunk of the Pixeljunk games and stuff. But be warned, between the store download speeds and the near constant need to update be prepared that if it's your first time playing a particular game, you might want to prepare in advance as you will be frustrated otherwise.

There's something to dig into on both really and it's nice to have some HD games to tuck into on the telebox without the faff of Big Picture or other hook up-stuff but also, yeah, most of my gaming now is done on the PC and the iThing. Between Steam and a very cheap App Store where a 20 card or whatever can buy you so many fantastic games, I'm not really sure a console is the wisest choice unless there's some exclusives you really, really want your mits on.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    That's a ridiculous conclusion to jump to. Connecting my computer to my TV would either involve a) putting it in a disadvantages area vis a vis my work area, b) drilling holes through the floor or c) running 100+ feet of cable, much to the chagrin of my housemates. Or I could simply use my Wipeout/Demon's Souls box.
    use wireless hdmi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROX-r_kHPks

you can use a bluetooth keyboard if your room is not 25 meters away from the living room.
    Last edited by mashakos; 14-11-2012 at 07:39 AM.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Or he can just turn the PS3 on!
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liudeius View Post
    I only have a PS3 and PC, but I would recommend the PS3.

Reasons:
    Many non-PS3 360 games still make it to PC (especially indie titles).
    Most 360 exclusives I know about are just FPS's, whereas PS3 has more variety.
    One of the best games ever is PS3 only (Demon's Souls).

Also I'm just posting this because I can't start a new thread and the first search result on google mentioned a one reply requirement before posting threads. (The FAQ mentions nothing about this so far as I can tell, does anyone know how to get permission to post new threads?)
    You need 10 posts unless you're posting in the subforum about promoting games on KS or Greenlight.

For the OP, I'd say a PS3. The only AAA exclusives for 360 are Gears and Halo. So that's a first person shooter and third person shooter. I like gears, it's fun enough to play, but I wouldn't buy a console just for it.

The PS3 has a wider range of exclusives, from fps, action, platformer. That's something the xbox really misses. It has next to no good platformer games available where as the PS3 has two whole exclusive platform series.

Finally PS3 has no additionally costs to play online, has ps+ which gives you free games every month and it's a nifty blu-ray player.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sic View Post
    Which ones would that be? Any relevant arcade perfect fighters?
    The consoles are nearly equivalent in fighter titles, at least well-known ones. I remember PS3 versions of some major games have ran slightly worse, though, as usual for cross-platform titles in general. One specific instance where there was a largish difference (no longer relevant) was VF5 only having online play on the 360. It's the other arcade games where the situation is completely lopsided in favor of the 360. Sony's line has basically been "if it's not next gen to the max, we don't want it on our system lowering the tone". Because of this, both Japanese arcade developers and visual novel developers have been publishing for the 360 despite its pitiful install base in Japan.

I guess I have three thoughts, all of which favour the PS3. Of course, this could just be a "grass is greener" response.

1) I have a 360 and haven't touched it in years. I think that practically every game I'm interested in that is released on 360 also comes out on PC, and that seems to be less true for the PS3.

2) While I've never done much online gaming with the 360, it's probably still the case that you'd need an Xbox Live Gold subscription to play online, which I've always considered a massive rip-off considering that the PS3 has no such restriction.

3) PSN also seems to fare better in terms of quirky indie games than XBLA does.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    use wireless hdmi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROX-r_kHPks

you can use a bluetooth keyboard if your room is not 25 meters away from the living room.
    Right, so wireless HDMI extender, Bluetooh keyboard and mouse set, that's hitting what, $140? Or for $40 more get a 360 and get that function plus access to 360 exclusive games and the added convenience of having it all one room with lower power consumption. Sounds like a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Right, so wireless HDMI extender, Bluetooh keyboard and mouse set, that's hitting what, $140? Or for $40 more get a 360 and get that function plus access to 360 exclusive games and the added convenience of having it all one room with lower power consumption. Sounds like a no-brainer.
    And submit to the shame of owning a console? Never! Random strangers on the internet might criticize my choices with regurgitated catchphrases!

Banned
    If you really want a box for under the TV, and bear in mind this is coming from a long time X-box lover, get a PS3 if you can't wait for one of the next gen systems.

Xbox can't handle 1080p particularly well when it comes to video (the system was originally only ever designed to do 720p) streaming.

Have you considered buying a new TV?

I own PS3 and Xbox360 apart to my PC and I think the Xbox was a waste of money. Most Xbox-exclusives are just more shooters and I prefer shooting with mouse & keyboard. PS3 has a more diverse library and I also use it as bluray player, which is nice extra functionality. One thing I can't stand about the Xbox is that I need a subscription for the privilege to play online. That's still free on PS3, as I'm used to from PC.

So: while my Xbox is just gathering dust, I make quite regular use of my PS3. I think my Xbox was a waste of money, since I play multi-platform titles on PC anyway and when it comes to exclusives the PS3 has (for me) more interesting stuff*.

* I bought my PS3 originally for the sole purpose of playing Demon's Souls.
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa
    Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Join our racing games subforum! Going wide and braking late since 1886!

Since picking up a PS3 recently I've got to recommend it over the 360 even though I've owned the latter for longer, it's just been gathering dust. Aside from anything, I've seen naff-all in the say of platformers for the 360 but the PS3 has Ratchet & Clank which frankly oozes charm. It also seems to have more in the way of JRPGs, if that's your thing.

Banned
    Wait for WiiU.

I am only saying this to be different though. Seriously, if you must own a console, get a PS3 for all the reasons above

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    DS is the best console. Advance Wars Rawks.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I have yet to find a decent blu k+m for my htpc & I've probably spent ohh, $300 on different ones.

The ps3 is unbeatable as a blu/netflix box with the $20 sony addon remote.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    I have yet to find a decent blu k+m for my htpc & I've probably spent ohh, $300 on different ones.

The ps3 is unbeatable as a blu/netflix box with the $20 sony addon remote.
    keyboard: apple bluetooth
    mouse: gyration air music

there, you have a decent m+k.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

keyboard: apple bluetooth
    mouse: gyration air music

there, you have a decent m+k.
    There, you have provided a peripheral solution that costs the same as a used PS3.