Thorvalla - KS RPG project by the man behind Realms of Arkania and Planescape Torment

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...y-guido-henkel

I admit I didn't know Guido Henkel but looking at his biography he has a lot of experience
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_Henkel

Creator or Realms of Arkania/Das Schwarze Auge trilogy
    Producer of Planescape Torment
    In addition, he worked on Fallout 2 during this period and he became the initial producer of Bioware’s Neverwinter Nights in the early design stages of the project.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    He won't get a million for a card-based combat system in a game aspiring to be an RPG.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    The idea of a kind of spiritual successor to Realms of Arkania is incredibly exciting.

But this just won't get $1m. The justification for needing that much is fair enough, but he hasn't even decided on the graphical perspective (it's maybe isometric).

The era of low-effort Kickstarters is pretty much over, unless you're truly famous. You gotta show more concrete things. Yeah you don't have the graphics engine written yet, that's fine, but at least give me a damn character sheet mockup. You really should have made the major decisions and completed a significant fraction of the design work before asking for money. Even if you wind up changing some of that later on, have a plan about where you're going.

I agree and I pretty much expect it not to reach its goal.
    But I have still pledged in order to show support for that idea.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Yeah, I pledged too. And I sincerely hope that this and other failed projects come back in a few months and try again, with a better pitch and a more modest goal - there's no shame in making a smaller game. "G3 Studios" have made a few old mobile phone games, not even iOS/Android stuff. They're not Obsidian.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    One to keep an eye on I think. I like combat as a game rather than as a simulation, it often works well in more casual games and I'd like to see a more "serious" game try it sometime to see how it goes. But not much information here yet.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.